Start a Conversation

Unsolved

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2019 23:00

BIOS hang at first boot, runs perfect after 2nd boot

Hi,

Since I think a few weeks I have a strange issue with my Dell XPS 9365. When I take my laptop after it has been off for a few hours, it won't boot past the DELL logo. When I then hold the power button for 10sec, turn off the laptop and power on again, it boots without issues. 

I'm always up-to-date with drivers, bios versions and Win10 updates.

Currently running BIOS version 2.4.1.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2019 08:00

Since the 9365 is a Modern Standby system, do you know what power state it is in when you start it up.  It might be hibernation, low power idle or even shutdown?

If it were in low power idle, tapping the space bar would bring back the display.  If it were in hibernation then holding the power button for about a second and you see the keyboard lights, would bring it back.

If it does have problems with a first boot, it may be some driver which needs to be reloaded or some bios setting which has to be verified before it can finish.  You might try turning off the Fast Startup option for testing, to see if it makes any difference from either a powered down configuration or restart.

March 26th, 2019 00:00

Turning off fast boot made my laptop boot without issues this morning. Will keep on monitoring this week. Thank you

March 28th, 2019 23:00

After a few days..... it is better now but it isn't completely fixed. Seems that only with clean shutdowns, it will now boot without issues. But going into hiberantion or sleep, will still give me issues.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 29th, 2019 05:00

You could try enabling fast boot again, possibly the hibernation file has been repaired.

You could try disabling some devices in the Bios for testing to see if they make any difference.  Things like Bluetooth or Wi-fi.  If you have anything the system is looking for like a network drive, it might delay a boot.

You can check the Event Viewer logs to see if anything shows up and happens often enough to become a problem.  Some things do happen during power transition phases so I would look for something giving errors or warnings during normal operations.

If it were to be some device prior to Windows loading you might be able to find it using msconfig.exe to set the system to keep a boot log.  You could scan it for devices which are refusing to load.

Setting your Bios options back to default might be considered.

And there is always a chance some device on the system is having a problem or starting to fail.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2019 05:00

Same problem: only turns on on 2nd boot (since ~march-19) Same solution (so far): turning off fast startup. Dell XPS 13 9365

May 3rd, 2019 05:00

But doesn't solve the issue when putting your laptop to sleep or in hibernation mode.

2 Posts

May 31st, 2019 12:00

Having same exact issue with BIOS version 2.6.2. Dell is there an open case on this? Shouldn’t be too hard to replicate the issue...

December 6th, 2019 14:00

Having same issue.  I will keep posting on every forum post I find on this because Dell needs to fix this.  This seems like a BIOS issue and my PC is up to date.  I have updated the PC to all the current drivers and it is still doing this.  Disabling fast boot is just disabling a feature that you are paying for which should work.  Dell please fix this since this is in .

No Events found!