Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

February 15th, 2019 10:00

BSOD: Driver Verifier DMA Violation with TB16 Docks

Hi,

We have XPS 15s that have started blue screening all the time lately when they are connected to their TB16 docks.  Some are 9560s and some are brand new 9570s.  I've seen older posts about the driver of the ASMedia USB item but I've checked that and we seem to be up to date with 1.16.55.1 or 1.16.54.1 depending on the machine.

I have run Dell Command Update to make sure all the drivers, BIOS, etc are up to date.

I have run the TB16 updater program to make sure all the stuff inside the Dock is up to date.

We still get periodic blue screens.  Anyone have any idea what else we can check to figure out why this is happening?

Thanks.

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 00:00

Hi,

Did Dell Support mention when the ASMedia USB Controller (ver. 1.16.55.3) will be released?

I have the exact same BSOD DMA Violation error on a couple of Dell XPS 15 9570 computers using the TB16 dock. (running the 1.16.55.1 version). 

I have set Security Level for the Thunderbolt Adapter to 'No Security in the the System Configuration>TB Adapter Configuration in BIOS, but that does not work.

7 Posts

March 8th, 2019 01:00

Hi,

Unfortunately, no time was specified how long it will take until the new driver is released. I was only advised to avoid the error to do not operate any usb devices at the docking station. 

March 8th, 2019 03:00

hi, not for me on win 10, isn't there after removal and several restarts

March 11th, 2019 02:00

we have Dell 7230  tested with the TB18 and the TB16. There both of them we have BSOD. I have installed the newest driver, Firmware but the System is't stable.

I have tested with the Windows Verifier and i have find out that the driver for thermal & engine maybe make the problem. But i am not sure.

38 Posts

March 14th, 2019 01:00

Glad this thread exists.  I have the same problem here: 9570 and TB16. 

I already worked out that the problem occurred when plugging in USB devices with sound capability (USB sound card, USB headset), whereas USB disks or keyboards seem OK.  I plug the problem devices in to the laptop instead and usually its OK.

Will try to confirm the registry change helps.

March 21st, 2019 10:00

So we have this is now in our company I think I was able to track this down to the Realtek USB Audio Driver, thanks your tip about the audio when I have a usb speaker bar or usb audio device connected to the TB16 in about 3-5 of playing that audio it will lock up and cause BSOD  Driver Verifier DMA violation. 

From what I can tell currently its looks like the Realtek USB Audio Driver incorrectly signed or coded so Windows is freaking out due to USB audio being active then due to driver not being signed Windows will flag it and crash.

I have tested Realtek USB Audio version 6.3.9600.2197 from Oct 26, 2018 (latest version from Dell support/drivers)

Also tested  Realtek USB Audio version 6.3.9600.2172 from May 11, 2018 (1 version behind)

Laptop is a Dell 5530 precision, running Windows v1809, also tried a firmware update on the TB16 but no change for the crashing.

Anyone else care to test this theory and let me know, not sure what exactly what in the driver is causing this one. 

1 Message

March 21st, 2019 12:00

Having the same problem on my Precision 5530 when docked. Noticed that I also have flashing leds on the front edge when docked - 2 amber 7 white. Dell sent me a new TB 16 but it’s still flashing. BSOD happens randomly but noticed more occurrences with applications like Webex and Cisco phone. I have my headset dongle connected to the dock so will try it on the laptop instead. Ha e all the latest driver updates as per the Dell driver analyzer

March 24th, 2019 14:00

Hi Msiljanovski,

Have you been able to try the latest driver on the dell site that came out on the 22nd of Mar?

Version: 6.3.9600.2202,A13?

7 Posts

March 25th, 2019 02:00

I am already one step further. I have done the following for two devices. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-> SYSTEM-> ControlSet001-> Services as Administrator. There are two folders. asmthub3 and asmtxhci. Delete the folder Enum and Paramters under the two folders. Make sure that under both folders no subfolders exist anymore. After that I did the following.

1. Reboot the system.
  2. In the Search bar, search for "control panel".
  3. Select Uninstall a program in control panel.
  4. Select Asmedia USB HOST Controller Driver 1.16.55.1 and click Uninstall.
  5. Reboot the system.
  6. Download Asmedia USB HOST Controller Driver 1.16.54.1 from Dell support site and apply it.
  7. Reboot the system.

After that, I have had no more blue screens from both devices so far. Fingers crossed.

38 Posts

March 25th, 2019 02:00

Interesting, on the UK page for TB16 Drivers, the 'latest' download is 1.16.54.1, there is no 1.16.55.1 to download (if the description is correct)

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16/drivers

However, the actual file %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\asmthub3.sys properties state 1.16.55.1

Wondering if the .55 version was pushed out, then pulled because its broken...

7 Posts

March 25th, 2019 04:00

right. The driver was removed because he caused the problems. Currently only the 1.16.54.1 can be downloaded. At least on the German support page.

1 Rookie

• 

357 Posts

March 25th, 2019 06:00

I haven't had any reports of crashing with 55.1 since deleting the registry key that was posted a week or two ago.  *knock on wood*.

March 25th, 2019 11:00

I didn't I will test now with that new driver Realtek USB Audio Driver

Update: That didn't help stills BSOD's when running usb audio. I am trying to ASMedia regkey removal, so far the tests are holding, I'll have to test a bit more

March 25th, 2019 14:00

Hi Msiljanovski,

Thanks for trying, are you able to take me through the steps you are able to make the system bluescreen, I have tried multiple ways but so far I have not been able to, when I pass the system over to one of our users they manage to get it to throw a BSOD in a day...

March 25th, 2019 14:00

Hi Agaskew1,

I have re-imaged a P5530 that I have had issues with and only used "ASMedia-USB-Extended-Host-Controller-Driver_JCDN0_WIN_1.16.54.1_A10" in the SCCM driver package that was available to that system, now my asmthub3.sys has the correct product version: 1.16.54.1 I am currently testing this system to see if it is stable, I wonder if the driver installer is not correctly removing the driver... Will update once I can confirm the system is stable/unstable.

No Events found!