Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2021 07:00

BSOD - XPS 15 9570 - conflict between sound and networking? Also TB16

Hello all.

This is seemingly something complex, that happens in a very specific configuration, but happened in the past in different forms, since I have got my XPS 15 9570 in June 2018 (but let's focus on today's configuration).

So, the configuration is XPS 15- 9570 with a TB16 dock, connected to an ethernet cable (1GB/s) then to a router then to the ISP (1GB/s). I can achieve downloading at 50+ Mbytes/s, without any problem BUT: I also own a "soundcard" Focusrite 18i20.

When the soundcard is ON (whether connected to the TB16 or not) and playing sounds from VLC (I am using mostly VLC, and can't guarantee that the problem does not happen from elsewhere), and when the download rate becomes "high" (I don't know whether it is 3 or 10 or 30 or else Mbytes/s), then I get a nice DRIVER VERIFIER DMA VIOLATION BSOD.

I do not get such a BSOD when the soundcard is OFF. I do not get such a BSOD when the soundcard is ON and nothing significant is downloaded. (In the past, without any sound card, I got such BSODs when something significant was downloaded, from time to time, while playing a movie in VLC. I suspect it was solved when the network driver was updated).

Configuration: XPS 1 9570, latest W10, latest drivers (I update them every 3 months).

My hypothesis: when receiving a lot of data, the incoming network buffers become full, the drivers sends an exception AND there is a conflict with some address (hence the DMA violation) from the soundcard driver. If so, I don't know what to do to detect more precisely such a conflict (and even less how to solve it). My knowledge stops at the hypothesis.

Any idea?

Gilbert

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 29th, 2021 03:00

I never figured out how to change Interrupts on Win 10.  Win XP/7 was easy.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 28th, 2021 09:00

I have a recording studio and have tried/used several Focusrite Scarlet model interface units without problems, but I connected them directly to a PC USB port. I used the Focusrite with my desktop and with my Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 laptop that is also a 2018 vintage.   Using an external hub/dock is not recommended.  

Usually sound is on a shared IRQ (Interrupt) with a higher priority device.  Maybe Windows has assigned the same IRQ to both?

December 28th, 2021 12:00

@fireberd : thanks.

I know about Focusrite's recommendation about connecting the soundcard directly to a laptop's USB port.

However I have only one port available AND I have a couple external devices to plug. So I spread them across the TB16 and an external hub (with the same bsod result). So my preferred solution would be to keep the Focusrite plugged on a hub. I will definitively try to connect it to the laptop and download a couple of huge files, and let you know the results.

THanks for your insight.

G

December 29th, 2021 00:00

@fireberd : tests are conclusive

I tried downloading huge files while using VLC (so as to use the soundcard).
1- focusrite connected to the USB port of the XPS 15 : no issue

2- focusrite connected to a USB hub (which itself was connected to the XPS 15 through the same port as in 1: no issue - but this is not conclusive because I experienced BSODs in the recent path while in the same configuration.

3- focusrite connected to a USB port of the TB16. Crash happens in less than 10s.

4- focusrite connected to a USB hub that is connected to the TB16. Crash in less than 10s.

So... I will keep the focusrite connected to the USB hub (which is fine for me).

For the curiosity's sake: is there a possibility to reconfigure IRQs so that the problem can be solved? I suspect this could help for another long standing problem with the TB16 (loss of external screens) for which Dell told me that a TB16 driver update might resolve the problem.

Gilbert

No Events found!