Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

January 10th, 2019 13:00

BSOD on XPS 15 9570 with TB16 on closing webcam

Yesterday I got my new XPS 15 9570 CNX97009 and the TB16.

After upgrading to Windows 10 PRO yesterday everthing seemed to work ok, apart from keys getting 'stuck'.(Known issue for other users.) This was resolved by updating all the firmware and drivers of both the XPS and TB16.

With everything up to date I now have a BSOD everytime I shut down my webcam (Logitech C920). So after every video call etc.
This only happens when the camera is connected to the dock - not when connected to the XPS directly.

Tested this with multiple browsers and VC software - all same result. Only thing that does work is the Logitech software. When I shut that down no BSOD occurs.

BSOD error code is DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. Dell's systems so far only indicate it's relates to ntoskrnl.exe so I'm not getting anny further with that

Does anyone have a tip how to get this resolved?

Thanks!

5 Posts

January 10th, 2019 13:00

TB16 versions:

• MST1: 3.12.002
  • MST2: 3.12.002
  • ASM USB 3.0 Cntlr: 10.11.A9
  • Dock NVM: 00.00.27
  • Cable NVM : 00.00.16
  • Dell TB16 v1.2.11
  • Port controller 1: 01.02.11
  • Dell TB16 v1.2.32
  • Port controller 2: 01.02.32
  • Dell TB16 Dock EC: 01.00.00.10
  • Dell TB16 Cable PD 00:03.12

XPS 15 versions:

• System BIOS with BIOS Guard: 1.6.0
  • Embedded controller: 1.0.18
  • Backup Embedded controller: 1.0.18
  • Main system TI Port Controller 0: 4.0.0.11
  • Gigabit Ethernet: X00
  • Intel Management Engine (VPro H) Update: 12.0.8.1124

4 Posts

January 21st, 2019 01:00

I have the exact same setup (Win 10 pro, XPS model, TB16, Logitech camera ) and the same BSoD issue when turn off the camera (DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION)

However, this setup was working fine for few months until Dell's SupportAssit installed bios update "Dell XPS15 9570, 1.7.0 System BIOS - 1.7.0"  on Jan 13, 2019.

@Dehler_ if you try to connect the camera directly to the XPS, does it work OK? 

Did you try to contact Dell's support?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 21st, 2019 09:00

There are some other threads which suggest the situation may be tied to the ASMedia USB 3.0 driver.  In one case it only happened during power type changes as in waking.  The better you can nail down the circumstances the greater the chance of finding the culprit.

If you have dump files, you might zip and put on your OneDrive and give us a link.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2019 12:00

@Yocosha - I now use it directly connected to the XPS and it works perfectly.

Contacted Dell support before I created this forum, but no reply so far ....

I did have it working in a few rare occasions but haven't been able to nail it down.

I'll see if there is any relations to the power @Saltgrass. Is there any fix for the ASMedia bug?

11 Posts

January 28th, 2019 12:00

I too have the same setup and same issue. I just recently had it happen to me in the past few weeks and I believe it was after the 1.7.0 BIOs update.

XPS 9570

Windows Pro

Latest drivers

Logitech c920 webcam

It crashes anytime the webcam is running and is connected to the dock. If the webcam is not connected at all, seems like it works without issue. 

I tried reinstalling all the dock drivers and updated the firmware on the dock. Still no go.

Anyone solve this?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 28th, 2019 15:00

Currently, I have the C920 plugged into the Dock and working so no Blue Screens so far. What ASMedia bug you are referring to? With the camera plugged, I show 3 USB devices for ASMedia in the Device Manager. The eXtensible Host Controller, the ASMedia USB Root Hub and a Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub. All three running the 1.16.55.1 version of the ASMedia driver. Since I don't have the 9570, I might believe the problem is with the new processors or chipsets. The TB16 Dock was designed for the XPS 13 9365, which is what I have. I cannot think of anything to help except if you are having problems installing the latest ASMedia drivers, to check the other device drivers, especially the Chipset drivers and then uninstall and reinstall the ASMedia drivers.

1 Message

January 29th, 2019 08:00

I have exactly the same setup and exactly the same problem, BSOD each time I activate the C920 webcam connected to the TB16 I had to revert to the old displaylink

2 Posts

January 29th, 2019 10:00

We are having the same exact error with XPS 13 9380 and 9370 systems plugged into a TB16 dock, Logitech C922 camera (also tried another logitech camera, same issue)... Any time I take a call on Microsoft Teams with video, it blue screens with the DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. Can reproduce it every time. If I go straight into the laptop USB, no issues. Also having trouble with USB wireless mouse/keyboard skipping a lot. The docks are going in the trash if Dell can't fix this quickly. We have over 100 docks here.

1 Message

January 30th, 2019 01:00

I'm having exact the same issue :( same camera, bsod always when finishing a video call It used to work fine until a month ago

4 Posts

January 30th, 2019 02:00

I can also confirm now (after quite a few calls) that attaching the camera directly to the laptop works fine. It's the TB16 - LG C922 - XPS Bios update 1.7.0 combination that causes the BSOD upon closing the camera. Dell support, if you are monitoring this thread, please don't be shy feel free to step in.. :-) Did anyone try LG support?

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 00:00

Same problem here, DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION on XPS 15 9570 with TB16 when using a webcam, in my case it's a Microsoft Lifecam. I had BSOD immediately after opening the camera, and sometimes when connecting a Transcend external drive. I uninstalled the ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver version 1.16.55.1 and installed an old version 1.16.49.1 which has changed things, in that I now get a BSOD when switching the camera off, as described by posts above. I haven't tried any other versions. It would be nice to know if Dell is aware of this issue.

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2019 09:00

@Saltgrass - I was able to narrow it down to: - Fresh start - then plug camera in TB 16 dock - BSOD after closing webcam. - Fresh start with camera plugged in to TB16 dock - no issues so far. - Hibernate with camera plugged in to TB16 dock - BSOD after closing webcam. - Camera directly into laptop - no issues. What is the best way to get the dump files?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2019 20:00

Dump files are usually available as a Memory.dmp file in the Windows directory or if you have set your system to use the small dump files, they will be in a minidump folder.  If you find one you can put it on your OneDrive and give us a link. 

If you want to set you system to use the smaller dump files, type "systempropertiesadvanced" in a run box and use the Startup and recovery settings options on the Advanced tab.

What do you mean when you say "Closing webcam".  We have to keep in mind you have a camera on your system also.

I checking, but you do or do not have all the drivers installed?  Some folks think they need the Dock attached when installing drivers and firmware updates, but you don't.  The Dock depends on the ASMedia USB drivers to work correctly.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2019 07:00

Thanks Saltgrass. With closing the webcam i mean closing the external webcam connection - not using it anymore. The physical connection - USB - remains the same.

The dock and webcam both have all drivers up to dat as far as I know. I checked both.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 3rd, 2019 11:00

I just got the BlueScreen.  The dump file was not helpful for me...

Mine happened when I left the camera app running with the C920 selected.  After hibernation, I shutdown the camera app and the BlueScreen happened.

I will be doing some investigating for the next day or so.  I have already downloaded the Logitech camera app and am currently trying to do the same as I did with the Win 10 camera app.

No Events found!