Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

January 10th, 2019 13:00

BSOD on XPS 15 9570 with TB16 on closing webcam

Yesterday I got my new XPS 15 9570 CNX97009 and the TB16.

After upgrading to Windows 10 PRO yesterday everthing seemed to work ok, apart from keys getting 'stuck'.(Known issue for other users.) This was resolved by updating all the firmware and drivers of both the XPS and TB16.

With everything up to date I now have a BSOD everytime I shut down my webcam (Logitech C920). So after every video call etc.
This only happens when the camera is connected to the dock - not when connected to the XPS directly.

Tested this with multiple browsers and VC software - all same result. Only thing that does work is the Logitech software. When I shut that down no BSOD occurs.

BSOD error code is DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION. Dell's systems so far only indicate it's relates to ntoskrnl.exe so I'm not getting anny further with that

Does anyone have a tip how to get this resolved?

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 4th, 2019 08:00

I don't seem to be having the Blue Screen problem when using the camera app from Logitech.  I don't know what application you are currently using to turn on the camera but you might try another one.  If you were to be using the Win 10 camera app, that might be the problem.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2019 09:00

Except Win 10 Camera app, I tried it with Skype, Skype for business and GoToMeeting - got BSOD on all.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 6th, 2019 06:00

@Dehler_ wrote:

Thanks Saltgrass. With closing the webcam i mean closing the external webcam connection - not using it anymore. The physical connection - USB - remains the same.

The dock and webcam both have all drivers up to date as far as I know. I checked both.

I have realized, with the Logitech camera app, I don't think my system is going into hibernation.  Some desktop apps will do that so maybe this is why I am not getting Blue Screens with it.  I will be doing more testing today.  I suppose if the system is plugged into power, it doesn't really need to hibernate.

1 Message

February 7th, 2019 18:00

I'm having a similar issue. In my case I'm using Hangouts Meet with a Logitech C930 connected to a back USB port on my TB16. I'm not getting BSOD, but I'm losing network connectivity when my webcam shuts off. I have a post about it here, but no solution yet. Obviously this is a problem that isn't isolated.

16 Posts

February 12th, 2019 11:00

Similar issue here. Dell 5520 + TB16 + skype / teams + MS LifeCam. BIOS 1.12.1

14 Posts

February 27th, 2019 17:00

Having the same BSOD Driver_Verifier_DMA_Violation issues with brand new XPS 15-9570 and TB16 Dock that I just purchased for a client. Updated every driver I could find on Dell Support Site today for both dock and laptop, including just released BIOS 1.07. Attempting to use Logitech C922x Webcam with Skype for Business. Works fine with camera connected directly to laptop, but not going through dock, but BSOD as soon as Skype is started when camera is plugged into dock.

This is obviously an issue with the dock and needs to be addressed by Dell ASAP. Neither the laptop nor the dock are inexpensive products and to be unusable in a common business scenario like this is completely unacceptable.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 28th, 2019 06:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Is the issue observed with the internal camera?

Is this issue observed only with Logi C920, C922 & Lifecam?

I will have this escalated to our product & will keep you posted once I have an update.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

2 Posts

February 28th, 2019 22:00

All, see this post for a possible temporary workaround until Dell releases a true fix for the TB16 USB controller driver:

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/New-7490-TB16-Skype-for-Business-BSOD-in-asmtxhci-sys/m-p/7250016/highlight/true#M10840

"Remove the following entry at registry entry (make a backup copy first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\asmtxhci\Parameters

DmaRemappingCompatible

Reboot

So far so good here, although TBH I'm super disappointed in the quality of these TB16 docks... Have so far been having better luck with the D6000 docks, and they seem to be less finicky (sans thunderbolt obviously)...

Good luck.

14 Posts

February 28th, 2019 22:00

Thank you, SreejithR.

We have not tried the internal camera, although, as previously stated, the Logitech camera works without issue when connected directly to one of the XPS USB ports. The XPS 15 is at a client's and I picked up his TB16 today for further testing as I have an XPS 9370 and the same Logitech C922x webcam. I will get to that in another couple days, as I have already spent way too much unbillable time trying to resolve this.

Additionally, I will need to get the additional information you requested and will send to you in a message when I get it. I do not think he has registered it yet.

Nick K

4 Posts

March 1st, 2019 06:00

After a short trail period I can report that the solution in @nomaddmh 's post regarding the removal of DmaRemappingCompatible from the registry seems to work.

The Logitech C920 Camera and the Microsoft Precision Bluetooth Mouse (that caused the same BSOD while connected to USB for charging) are both connected to the TB16. I tried several actions that caused BSOD before, such as stopping the Camera application, end of Skype video conference and working with the mouse while charging - no BSOD so far.

Thank you for posting this solution.

I'm not completely sure whose fault is it but I must say that I'm very disappointed with the TB16. When I bought it last year, it seemed like an half-baked product - my 4K screen was blinking every few minutes and the 2nd HD screen was not usable at all (blinking every few seconds), later this was solved by a firmware update to the TB16, and now for over a month this BSOD problem - I'm not 100% sure it is gone and the solution is not formal by Dell - this is an hacking bypass.

14 Posts

April 1st, 2019 17:00

#Sreejith R I cannot find the private message icon you asked me to use to contact you directly. Perhaps I do not have enough posts for that feature to be enabled?

The biggest issue appears to be either the power supply of the dock, or the dock itself. I purchased the 240W version as recommended on Dell's site for this computer. However, when the dock is providing power to the XPS 15 9570 laptop through the Thunderbolt port as it is designed to do, the laptop consistently reports the AC adapter as 60W in Dell Diagnostics, and therefore grossly underpowered. I suspect this is the underlying cause of all issues with this particular dock, as Dell Diagnostics also generates an error 2000-0511 for the video fan when powered through the dock, and no error when using the original power adapter, a correlating indication of insufficient power from the dock.

Please advise next steps to test and resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Nick Knight

1 Message

May 10th, 2019 10:00

I too confirm that the registry entry removal above is a viable workaround until this gets resolved by Dell support.  So far so good. My 920 and 922 on Dell XPS9570 and TB16 was doing the same thing.  Frustrating and now in the clear.  Fingers crossed.

No Events found!