Yocosha
1 Copper

Re: BSOD on XPS 15 9570 with TB16

I can also confirm now (after quite a few calls) that attaching the camera directly to the laptop works fine. It's the TB16 - LG C922 - XPS Bios update 1.7.0 combination that causes the BSOD upon closing the camera. Dell support, if you are monitoring this thread, please don't be shy feel free to step in.. πŸ™‚ Did anyone try LG support?
0 Kudos
MikeD_UK
1 Copper

Re: BSOD on XPS 15 9570 with TB16

Same problem here, DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION on XPS 15 9570 with TB16 when using a webcam, in my case it's a Microsoft Lifecam. I had BSOD immediately after opening the camera, and sometimes when connecting a Transcend external drive. I uninstalled the ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver version 1.16.55.1 and installed an old version 1.16.49.1 which has changed things, in that I now get a BSOD when switching the camera off, as described by posts above. I haven't tried any other versions. It would be nice to know if Dell is aware of this issue.

Dehler_
1 Nickel

Re: BSOD on XPS 15 9570 with TB16 on closing webcam

@Saltgrass - I was able to narrow it down to: - Fresh start - then plug camera in TB 16 dock - BSOD after closing webcam. - Fresh start with camera plugged in to TB16 dock - no issues so far. - Hibernate with camera plugged in to TB16 dock - BSOD after closing webcam. - Camera directly into laptop - no issues. What is the best way to get the dump files?
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Dump files are usually available as a Memory.dmp file in the Windows directory or if you have set your system to use the small dump files, they will be in a minidump folder.  If you find one you can put it on your OneDrive and give us a link. 

If you want to set you system to use the smaller dump files, type "systempropertiesadvanced" in a run box and use the Startup and recovery settings options on the Advanced tab.

What do you mean when you say "Closing webcam".  We have to keep in mind you have a camera on your system also.

I checking, but you do or do not have all the drivers installed?  Some folks think they need the Dock attached when installing drivers and firmware updates, but you don't.  The Dock depends on the ASMedia USB drivers to work correctly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Dehler_
1 Nickel

Thanks Saltgrass. With closing the webcam i mean closing the external webcam connection - not using it anymore. The physical connection - USB - remains the same.

The dock and webcam both have all drivers up to dat as far as I know. I checked both.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I just got the BlueScreen.  The dump file was not helpful for me...

Mine happened when I left the camera app running with the C920 selected.  After hibernation, I shutdown the camera app and the BlueScreen happened.

I will be doing some investigating for the next day or so.  I have already downloaded the Logitech camera app and am currently trying to do the same as I did with the Win 10 camera app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

I don't seem to be having the Blue Screen problem when using the camera app from Logitech.  I don't know what application you are currently using to turn on the camera but you might try another one.  If you were to be using the Win 10 camera app, that might be the problem.

0 Kudos
Yocosha
1 Copper

Except Win 10 Camera app, I tried it with Skype, Skype for business and GoToMeeting - got BSOD on all.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

@Dehler_ wrote:

Thanks Saltgrass. With closing the webcam i mean closing the external webcam connection - not using it anymore. The physical connection - USB - remains the same.

The dock and webcam both have all drivers up to date as far as I know. I checked both.

I have realized, with the Logitech camera app, I don't think my system is going into hibernation.  Some desktop apps will do that so maybe this is why I am not getting Blue Screens with it.  I will be doing more testing today.  I suppose if the system is plugged into power, it doesn't really need to hibernate.

0 Kudos
hjoelr
1 Copper

I'm having a similar issue. In my case I'm using Hangouts Meet with a Logitech C930 connected to a back USB port on my TB16. I'm not getting BSOD, but I'm losing network connectivity when my webcam shuts off. I have a post about it here, but no solution yet. Obviously this is a problem that isn't isolated.

0 Kudos