XPS

Start a Discussion
2 Iron

Battery not charging after updating to W11

Hi,

Setup: Dell XPS 9500 (2020) laptop

In mid-December I got a chance to upgrade to W11 from W10. I did it. About a week or so everything was running smooth.

Then one day after a few hours of using my computer I noticed that the battery was running low. I was like "whaaat" , checked the power cable and everything: everything was connected properly.

Then I thought "Okay, these things can happen". So I just restarted my computer but the issue remained.

As I normally use my laptop through Dell's docking station I looked for the original charger that came with the laptop to test whether that worked. It also did not.

I then opened Device Manager and uninstalled everything I had there under Battery Section (Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery).

Then I shut down the computer, removed the power cable and waited fora few seconds. Then plugged the power cable back and turned on the computer. The computer automatically reinstalled the battery drivers upon reboot. This fixed the problem and I was happy again. But not for long.

The next day (after another shut down) the problem was back. And the only way I knew to solve it was to uninstall the battery drivers again, shut down the computer, remove the power cable and then turn it back on.

Furthermore, upon some reboots the next day (after I close the computer for the night having already reinstalled the drivers) the computer acts weird. It boots to the lock screen but then as it gets there, it automatically restarts the computer. Sometimes once, sometimes twice. After that it finally gets to the lockscreen and let's me to log in. And yes, the battery is not charging...

Now I have been doing this driver uninstall-reinstall "trick" for almost 2 weeks. And it is super annoying.

I thought of reverting back to W10 until this problem is fixed but I am unable to do so, at least in an official way. Because I could have only reverted back to W10 within the first 10 days of having W11. That time is passed.

I assume some W11 patch or the drivers are faulty..or there is some mismatch between them. Not an expert, just assumptions.

Does any of you have any suggestions what could fix my problems?

Update: I also posted this on Microsoft forums and a volunteer moderator replied that this is Dell's not Microsoft's issue.

Thank you very much!

All the best,

AImostPro

Replies (63)
8 Krypton

There is a Nov 2021 Dell Power Manager download.  If you don't have it, install and configure and see if it helps.  This is the only power related download I see for the 9500.  One note on install, if you have Dell Power Manager Lite installed it must be uninstalled, and PC restarted, before installing the new Power Manager.

Dell Power Manager Service | Driver Details | Dell US

A comment on the response you got.  It may very well be a Dell problem, but the response was very unprofessional.  "The not my problem" usually is from someone who doesn't know and too lazy to find out what the problem is.  I'm a retired network and help desk manager and we ran into vendor "finger pointing" all the time from lazy techs.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Hi,

Thank you. I downloaded the Power Manager but it did not help. I think this app is meant to help with optimizing charging cycles etc.

My problem still exists.

I agree with the laziness of the tech support.

8 Krypton

I flagged this on our Rockstar forum section.  Hopefully one of the other Rockstars or a Dell interface will help.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390,  i9 9900K CPU

Windows 11 64 bit Pro  SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit

Dell S2719DGF Monitor

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

7 Thorium

@AlmostPro wrote:

Dell XPS 9500 (2020) laptop

1. As I normally use my laptop through Dell's docking station I looked for the original charger that came with the laptop to test whether that worked. 

2. I then opened Device Manager and uninstalled everything I had there under Battery Section (Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft Surface ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery).

1. Good troubleshooting. I suggest you continue to troubleshoot with original charger and WITHOUT dock.

2. I WOULD NOT have recommended doing this. Your Windows might be corrupt (either to begin with, or now after this)

There should be a whole special section in BIOS that shows battery health. Also, set machine to complain if wrong (or defective) charger is installed.

My guess would be battery has gone bad or weak. It happens. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.

I agree with @Tesla1856, may be try a different battery?

Also, physically check on the battery itself and make sure it didn't swell for some reason.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

I tried to reinstall Windows 11. After it was installed, it also did various Windows 11 cumulative updates. I shut down the computer multiple times to check whether the problem was still there. It wasn't.

Until today (the next day). I booted the computer, got to the lock screen, the battery was charging, was mid-way typing in my password and...the computer automatically restarted. After the restart finished and I was back at the lock screen, the battery was not charging anymore...

So the problem is back.

Do you really think it could be the battery's (hardware) problem? The computer is only 1 year old and I never experienced problems with the battery when I still had Windows 10.

I think the next step for me will be to go back to Windows 10, since there are no actual benefits of using W11 instead of W10 for me. W11 just "looks cooler" and more modern.

Thank you!

As Win10 is fully supported, it certainly can't hurt to try going back to it.  But please check the battery to make sure there's no signs of physical damage.

- Please kudos posts you like!
- Please "Accept as Solution" posts that are a solution.
- If you have an Optiplex, stating its model number AND size speeds up troubleshooting. Components vary.

Code of Conduct
TechSupport YouTube

I'm a big fan of Dell, a Dell user, and not an employee. This forum is user to user with occasional assistance by other Rockstars or Dell employees.

I have exactly the same problem. It's definitely related to the Windows 11 upgrade. 

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions