Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

November 30th, 2018 13:00

Battery swelling in XPS 15 9560

I purchased my XPS 15 9560 laptop about 15 months ago and have just today noticed that the bottom edge of the trackpad has raised, though I've felt that the trackpad has not been functioning optimally for about the past month.

A quick Google search demonstrates that this is a common problem in XPS models, due to swelling of the battery. To my knowledge, only the XPS 15 9550 has received a temporary recall, though other XPS models suffer from the same dangerous problem.

Dell only offered me paid support for battery replacement since I am  3 months out of my 1 year warranty. Their justification was that battery swelling was not a continuing problem for the 9560. Judging from the posts in this forum, this does not seem to be a true statement, and the problem seems rather comparable to the 9550. I would not reasonably expect a battery just over 1 year old to begin swelling or have substantially reduced performance. I currently plan to remove the battery and work plugged in.

Since I know others with a 9560 have been having this problem, I was wondering if anyone had gotten anywhere with Dell or have found any reasonable alternative options?

146 Posts

June 18th, 2019 02:00

I had exactly the same problem.

And I was replaced the battery for 8 months.

Hope it will be fine.

281 Posts

June 18th, 2019 08:00

love the "hey, we know our batteries are garbage, and can swell, cause damage to your laptop, overheat, etc...but we will only replace if its within 1 year batter warranty..."  

sorry dell--this is NOT how you get / keep customers.

1 Message

June 21st, 2019 07:00

Have the same problem. Have purchased my XPS 15 9560 top of the line laptop by the very end of December 2017 at Microsoft store and have also noticed that the bottom edge of the trackpad has raised a lot. As you have observed, "a quick Google search demonstrates that this is a common problem in XPS models, due to swelling of the battery. To my knowledge, only the XPS 15 9550 has received a temporary recall, though other XPS models suffer from the same dangerous problem." Dell Brazil also only offered me paid support for battery replacement since I am 5 months out of my 1-year warranty: $223 USD in case I decide to go to the service center or $277 in case of home care! I need to say that I'm shocked. I own my XPS, have an extremely expensive 3818 monitor, have a top of the line I7573 black edition and have been planning to buy another Inspiron, a 7373, in the next few weeks. In other words, DELL for me is (was) THE synonym of a laptop. I feel cheated and stolen, treated like a fool.

myxps15.jpg

1 Message

June 30th, 2019 17:00

I am having the same trouble with Dell XPS 9560 that I had purchased 12.5 months ago. I see that the touchpad is being pushed upward against the battery. I see that XPS 9550 had the same trouble and looks like the trouble is the same as XPS 9560 as well. I have already raised multiple tickets with Dell and they just close the ticket without any resolution.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 10th, 2019 17:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @dmcjr23510 

It is the same policy industry wide because all lithium-ion polymer "Flat Cell" batteries can swell.

For some reason I find Apple has the worst failure rate.

ABat.PNG

Best regards,

U2

1 Message

July 10th, 2019 17:00

Another corporate user here (accounting industry). We've had widespread bulging battery issues on all of our XPS deployments within the past 3 years. Dell will only address when these are covered under a warranty. I insist that this should not be handled as a warranty item but rather as a recall items since the issues are pervasive.  Unless Dell changes their posture on this, we will migrate entirely away from Dell.  Our firm has exclusively used Dell for over 15 years for laptops and desktops, but we will not use Dell in the future if they do not rectify this situation. 

1 Message

July 14th, 2019 07:00

July 20th, 2019 17:00

Noticed the trackpad pushing up on my wife's 9560 yesterday, which has had the warranty expired for . 

Has anyone had any luck contacting Dell support and gotten a replacement?

1 Message

July 22nd, 2019 01:00

I also noticed that the trackpad on my 9560 is stiff a month or two ago. I just thought I'm making things up, and now yesterday I noticed that the trackpad is starting to pop out. The more I read the posts here, the less hope I have to get it fixed by Dell, since the warranty already expired.

I will try today to get the support on the line.

9.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 06:00

Hi Macco03,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

281 Posts

July 24th, 2019 05:00

lol dell

"hey! our junk batteries swelled and physically BROKE your computer...but since its out of warranty...too bad...open up the wallet"

Dell--you are NOT gaining/keeping customers this way.

9.4K Posts

July 24th, 2019 09:00

Hi The_Seeker_of_Truth,

Before we can proceed, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

July 24th, 2019 09:00

Hi Robert.  So those of us who are out of warranty are out of luck for what is essentially a quality control problem which has been addressed in the 9550 model but also exists for the 9560 model?  

1 Message

July 30th, 2019 18:00

All of the XPS 15-9560s in our office have the same issue.  Dell sold these devices knowing that

1. the batteries will swell

2. the battery swelling will make the mousepad unusable. 

6 Posts

July 30th, 2019 19:00

I have taken matters into my own hands.

I bought a new 6GTPY battery, two thermal pads 3mm and 1mm each and a thermal paste. costing about 162 dollar.
Replaced the swollen battery, re-pasted thermal on the CPU and the GPU, added several thermal pads to VRMs.
Cleaned some dirt from the heat sink and fans.

swollen touch padswollen touch padnew batterynew batteryoriginal entrailsoriginal entrailsdell's thermal pastedell's thermal pastere-pastre-past

put some padsput some pads

Now, mine works like a new machine or better.
Dell's heat solution was like smearing rotten lubricant to a new engine.
some links
https://www.ultrabookreview.com/14875-fix-throttling-xps-15/
https://youtu.be/lZaTa9NQa5U
https://youtu.be/ggFFTDdAXRs

No Events found!