Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

November 30th, 2018 13:00

Battery swelling in XPS 15 9560

I purchased my XPS 15 9560 laptop about 15 months ago and have just today noticed that the bottom edge of the trackpad has raised, though I've felt that the trackpad has not been functioning optimally for about the past month.

A quick Google search demonstrates that this is a common problem in XPS models, due to swelling of the battery. To my knowledge, only the XPS 15 9550 has received a temporary recall, though other XPS models suffer from the same dangerous problem.

Dell only offered me paid support for battery replacement since I am  3 months out of my 1 year warranty. Their justification was that battery swelling was not a continuing problem for the 9560. Judging from the posts in this forum, this does not seem to be a true statement, and the problem seems rather comparable to the 9550. I would not reasonably expect a battery just over 1 year old to begin swelling or have substantially reduced performance. I currently plan to remove the battery and work plugged in.

Since I know others with a 9560 have been having this problem, I was wondering if anyone had gotten anywhere with Dell or have found any reasonable alternative options?

1 Message

November 12th, 2019 06:00

My 9560 is just under 2 years old. Usual swelling lifting the trackpad and cannot use it. Called Dell, the usual pushback of saying its not under warranty etc and wants to charge nearly £300 (i'm in the UK) to replace with a RECONDITIONED battery. I declined and bought a genuine battery from a Dell partner for £137. Fitted it myself and everything is functional again. However I cannot stand consumers being over with this so I wrote an email to Michael Dell (yes a long shot) and it was quickly forwarded to the "advanced resolution group" which is a bunch of indian call centre personnel to give a scripted answer.

The deny all knowledge of this happening to the 9560 but aware of the 9550 hence the soft recall. They repeated what Dell customer (lack of) services said and barked at me "do you want me to send an engineer out" despite my very long 3 paragraph explanation that I have already replaced the battery.

My stance is, for a 2 year product that has a battery that swells and makes the functionality impeded is surely a design flaw knowingly that Lithium batteries swell and no prior warnings to consumers when spending this amount of money on a piece of tech - I would happily swallow the cost if the battery lost its capacity etc but swelling and having a knock on effect on usability gets me mad.

I had a multitude of Dell products from Desktops to Laptops and this will certainly be my last ever.

3 Posts

November 30th, 2019 16:00

My XPS 9560 trackpad is also rising a lot . Dell should stop selling this model.

3 Posts

Looks like this is a common problem.  Will any Dell?

3 Posts

Called Dell support, even if you buy a new one, the warranty is only 3 months. Definitely recommend to avoid Dell laptops 

1 Message

December 21st, 2019 02:00

Same thing, XPS 9560 97Wh.

Had to pay 140eur for a new battery from an online seller.

Dell support knew about the issue and directed me to an authorized repair shop...

This is my last Dell ...

24 Posts

December 21st, 2019 03:00

Just my opinion: after 2 years of every day using of XPS 9560 I can say that battery wear level is 18.7%. I guess that every user that experiences battery swelling is because of bad colling system of this laptop. From the first day I bought it, I change the thermal paste, I put thermal pad on all VRMs and I installed TrottheStop with -120.1mV undevoltage on CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU. At most 3 months I change the thermal paste and thermal pads. Doing all this, I keep the laptop cool and I didn't have any problem with throttling or hot surface of the laptop. So, I guess the heat from the inside is the main source for damaging the battery. Anyway, I won't buy Dell laptop anymore because of other small problems that may become big problems in the future. I was expected to be much faster and more stable as other brands but I was wrong.

So, by me, battery swelling is Dell fault, knowing that heat will always causes battery damages.

3 Posts

January 7th, 2020 00:00

Mr. Robert , I've the same problem with my battery for xps 15 9560, here in italy dell can't support me and I don't know how to procede!

January 7th, 2020 09:00

What gets me is that Dell has acknowledged this issue and recalled the 9550, and based on this thread and others like it the problem still exists in the 9560 but they have not done anything to address it. 

This is a safety issue.  I'm going to file a report at:
https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

Perhaps if enough of us do this, Dell will address it before someone ends up getting hurt.

4 Posts

January 14th, 2020 20:00

Hi all. I just want to add to this thread. I use my laptop 2-3 times a year when travelling for photography work. I charge it to say 50% and store it in a sleeve. I have had it for almost two years and I reckon it’s been charged 30 time max. So I used it over Christmas no dramas , then two days ago I pull it out of its sleeve, press the battery check and it was at 5 dots. So I just turned it on to use it (updating before travelling again). As soon as windows starts it says. Plug in the power adapter and showed my battery at 6% when literally the minute before it was showing fullly charged. Anyway after a lot of research I ran the F2 tests and it says battery needs replacement. All cells are within 0.003v of each other. Battery is at 89% health. No swelling. Wtf. I honestly believe it’s a case of built in obsolescence. I rang tech support and they said I just have to buy a new battery. It’s crap. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the battery at all it’s just been programmed to stop working. Not very happy. 

February 12th, 2020 06:00

Hi,

I am having the same issue with my XPS 9560. My warranty expired on feb 2019 and I started to have issue with battery after couple of months. I know that i am just writing but just because i am not using a lot as before and even because it is getting worst. 

Did someone find a way to get free replacement or even free battery?

Many Thanks 

3 Posts

February 18th, 2020 17:00

Same issue here, Laptop is 2.5 years old and out of warranty.

Dell support first said $40 for diagnostics and then they will quote the price based on the diagnostics result. I pushed back stating its a known issue, and Dell said they can sell refurbished battery and mouse pad for $120.

No Events found!