tmc81
1 Copper

Re: Battery swelling in XPS 15 9560

Same thing, XPS 9560 97Wh.

Had to pay 140eur for a new battery from an online seller.

Dell support knew about the issue and directed me to an authorized repair shop...

This is my last Dell ...

0 Kudos
BogdanBBO
1 Copper

Just my opinion: after 2 years of every day using of XPS 9560 I can say that battery wear level is 18.7%. I guess that every user that experiences battery swelling is because of bad colling system of this laptop. From the first day I bought it, I change the thermal paste, I put thermal pad on all VRMs and I installed TrottheStop with -120.1mV undevoltage on CPU Core, CPU Cache and Intel GPU. At most 3 months I change the thermal paste and thermal pads. Doing all this, I keep the laptop cool and I didn't have any problem with throttling or hot surface of the laptop. So, I guess the heat from the inside is the main source for damaging the battery. Anyway, I won't buy Dell laptop anymore because of other small problems that may become big problems in the future. I was expected to be much faster and more stable as other brands but I was wrong.

So, by me, battery swelling is Dell fault, knowing that heat will always causes battery damages.

0 Kudos
bix71
1 Copper

Mr. Robert , I've the same problem with my battery for xps 15 9560, here in italy dell can't support me and I don't know how to procede!

0 Kudos

What gets me is that Dell has acknowledged this issue and recalled the 9550, and based on this thread and others like it the problem still exists in the 9560 but they have not done anything to address it. 

This is a safety issue.  I'm going to file a report at:
https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

Perhaps if enough of us do this, Dell will address it before someone ends up getting hurt.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Besty22
1 Copper

Hi all. I just want to add to this thread. I use my laptop 2-3 times a year when travelling for photography work. I charge it to say 50% and store it in a sleeve. I have had it for almost two years and I reckon it’s been charged 30 time max. So I used it over Christmas no dramas , then two days ago I pull it out of its sleeve, press the battery check and it was at 5 dots. So I just turned it on to use it (updating before travelling again). As soon as windows starts it says. Plug in the power adapter and showed my battery at 6% when literally the minute before it was showing fullly charged. Anyway after a lot of research I ran the F2 tests and it says battery needs replacement. All cells are within 0.003v of each other. Battery is at 89% health. No swelling. Wtf. I honestly believe it’s a case of built in obsolescence. I rang tech support and they said I just have to buy a new battery. It’s crap. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the battery at all it’s just been programmed to stop working. Not very happy. 

0 Kudos