1 Copper

Black screen after closing laptop while on. Cannot reboot.

System: XPS 13 (2018) Windows 10 Home Edition.

Problem:  After closing laptop, I opened it to a black screen.  The keyboard would light up and shut off again - over and over.  No fan.  No Post.  No boot.  I pressed D and the colors came up on the screen so I assume the video is okay.  I am not able to attach an external monitor.  

What I tried:  After going through this site, I first removed the battery and cmos batter followed by pressing the power key to drain static.  That did not change anything.  I then reset BIOS by disconnecting the batteries and leaving it for an hour.  

I then followed instructions by pressing the Fn and power buttons together.  I heard the single beeps and screen changed colors.  Still no boot and not post.  Furthermore, I cannot access the preDiagnostics or any menu for that matter.  I'm stuck.  The laptop is fully charged.  F2, F8, and F12 do not work.

16060507011953283662320852563829.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Thorium

Re: Black screen after closing laptop while on. Cannot reboot.

Does it happen if the adapter is attached and plugged in? I'm guessing your battery is the original one which makes it over 2 years old. Battery life nowadays is 18 to 24 months before they weaken or fail. You must buy genuine dell replacement from Dell or Dell parts if your model battery is still in stock. You can try replacing the cmos battery. That's a cheap $2 fix available at any store. Also try removing the main battery and using the adapter alone.

Stay away from replacement batteries from Marketplaces like Amazon, Ebay, private sellers, etc.

Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions | Dell US

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Re: Black screen after closing laptop while on. Cannot reboot.

I disconnected the battery and used the power adapter only, but with no success.  

<Service Tag removed>

<Express service code removed>

0 Kudos