Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2020 06:00

Bluetooth mouse lag issues with new XPS 13 7390 2-in-1?

Is anyone else having Bluetooth mouse lag issues with new XPS 13 7390 2 in 1? This is a brand new set i am using my BT mouse. I'm experiencing an issue where the mouse pointer takes a second to move after I start moving the BT mouse. It will continue to move smoothly as long as I don't stop; but if I stop, the cursor will exhibit the same initial movement lag. The track-pad works normally. The same BT mouse works normally on my other XPS 13 7390 2 in 1.

I've read some suggestions about modifying the Bluetooth Collaboration setting under the NIC but the new Killer NIC's don't appear to have that setting in Device Manager.

The old XPS 13 7390 2in1 inside device manager -> Intel Wireless Bluetooth -> Power management ->  there is option to untick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

The brand new XPS 13 7390 2in1 do not have the same power management tab to untick "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

i checked both are on the same firmware and software version

59 Posts

June 4th, 2020 07:00

Are you sure this is working for you? I tried it and I still got lag and had to rollback from May 2004 update.

59 Posts

June 4th, 2020 11:00

Seriously, I was practically begging on my knees for Dell engineers to even look at this issue, and despite two months of pleading to have this looked into, we don't have it fixed.  There's a reason Windows releases Insider previews, so that drivers can be tested before release. At this point, I have vowed to the bible never to buy a Dell after this experience. It's actually depressing how little support we have.  Youtuber's that get paid to pump products like Dell laptops, should be tried at the Hauge. It's such a disservice to users when we spend over 1K on these devices  and receive faulty drivers and a left to our devices to try to figure out "workarounds"

I'm not sure I have another two  hours to kill trying to update and rolling back but I honestly tried what you suggested and still got this lag. 

8 Posts

June 4th, 2020 11:00

Yep I'm definitely on 2004 as below.  Maybe I was just lucky but either way this shouldn't be an issue as Dell have known about it for some time now.

Paul1109_0-1591295491863.png

1 Message

June 4th, 2020 12:00

I do have a workaround... a workaround that I do not think anyone found acceptable, but hope this piece of information would help Dell to debug (if they are watching).

Because I tend to use my XPS as a desktop replacement, I have a USB-C multiport adapter to connect certain things, including my ethernet. By total accident, I found that as long as this adapter is connected (even without the ethernet connected), my bluetooth mouse is working completely fine. If I disconnected the adapter, though, even though I am on AC power, the bluetooth mouse (Logitech MX Anywhere 2) experiences severe lag. I plugged and unplugged my USB-C adapter multiple times to test, with multiple reboots, and this behavior is definitely repeatable!

For me, this is acceptable while working on the desk. For working completely unplugged, the trackpad did not experience any lagging issue as long as I don't use bluetooth at all, so this is fine for me as well.

So to share my experience... now I plug in my USB-C adapter almost all the time to keep the bluetooth mouse running smoothly.

Hope it helps.

58 Posts

June 4th, 2020 23:00

Hi everybody, i found a very easy workaround for this issue. whenever i have the lag on touchpad/mouse after waking up from sleep. i will press the power button to go back into sleep mode and wake up again using the power button. Upon waking up, the lag issue is immediately solve. However, Dell should also look into this bug of intermittently lag or freeze on touchpad or wireless mouse when waking up from sleep

June 5th, 2020 10:00

Which bios version are you on?  I am on the latest (1.4) and this for sure does not fix my bluetooth mouse.  Also don't get me started on the dock issues I have with this computer as well where USB just won't work when waking up from sleep 50% of the time.

7 Posts

June 7th, 2020 09:00

I can duplicate what you did to solve the problem I had.

But, you gave the gave me the clue for a permanent fix that does not require attaching anything to either usb-c port. The port itself has a power management tab, just uncheck the power management tab in it. It is the first USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) as in the attached image.

USB RootHub (USB 3.0).png

59 Posts

June 7th, 2020 10:00

So to confirm, if I understand correctly, turning off power management for the USB bus, fixes the lag on the May version of Windows 10? 

7 Posts

USB-RootHub-(USB)-3.jpgThis post was for the Win 10 2004 update. Dell BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.4.0, 5/11/2020. i.e., everything updated

59 Posts

can yyou repost the pictures? It doesn't show up for me. Also which windows version are you on?

59 Posts

June 7th, 2020 21:00

Fix on the May update courtesy of  ortho600

I found I only needed to do this on the generic USB drivers

mux8_0-1591590907319.png

2 Posts

June 9th, 2020 21:00

I have the exact same issue. Dell support hasn't managed to find a solution so far and tried useless things like using a different user account, install old version of killer wireless driver etc. Finally they made be rest the laptop and I lost all work. Still hasn't fixed the problem, the power management tab is missing from both control panel and device manger. 

@DELL-Jesse L please provide a solution. This expensive and new laptop has two USB Type-C port and I cannot block them with a mouse dongle, in fact most mouse use a USB Type-A dongle for receiver. Hence I really need my Microsoft Sculpt Wireless mouse to work on BT.

June 10th, 2020 04:00

This is amazing that such simply fixes have not been implemented in bios updates.

They knew full well that the defaults were causing issues and needed to be changed.

I just received a new XPS 13 2 in 1 and have been dealing with stupid, stupid issues such as this mouse issue. 

This is unacceptable for a company like Dell.

I have another situation Dell needs to address and soon.

The firmware update is limiting the processor speed on one of the cpu's Huh ?, what? , why?

Are we dealing with data corruption?, cpu stability? What's the deal here Dell?

The finger detection driver is causing system crashes. Had to disable the driver.

I am drilling into this machine and so far have not liked what I have seen so far.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2020 04:00

I had the same problem, no power management tab on the bluetooth devices or mouse. Did useless troubleshooting steps with Dell support including registry changes, create and login with different account and full reset, nothing worked until this. The USB power settings worked but I didn't have the generic driver. Had to do on the USB Root Hub, both of them.

image.png

No Events found!