Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 17:00

Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Hi,

I want to submit an issue to Dell that I believe is a driver/chipset INF issue that affects the 9300 lineup. I spoke with Intel on these issues and they confirmed that it will have to be dealt with by Dell.

The new XPS 13 (9300) takes about 50-60 seconds to boot Windows (while the dots are spinning). This issue persists even after reformatting/installing a fresh copy of Win10, installing/uninstalling all drivers, turning fastboot on/off, updating Bios to 1.0.7, etc.

It's likely the error is caused by thousands of driver errors, which is seen in the bootlog as:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

The bootlog is 2,940 lines long, mostly comprised of these messages. Every other Dell laptop (XPS lineup, but not this year's model) that I've checked has a bootlog that is only a couple of hundred lines long.

How can this be submitted to Dell for them to look at? It's likely a driver issue. I contacted support and the representative was absolutely useless at understanding what I was trying to ask...

Can submit the full bootlog if needed.

Thank you!

46 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 15:00

Update: I've created another bootlog, and installing these drivers have fixed the ludicrous amount of driver_not_loaded messages in the log. The bootlog is now down to 225 lines, which is typical - not the 2,000+ lines from before!

I'd say the full boot time (not fast boot) is still on the slow side, but it's probably "normal" at this point. I'd like to see specifically which drivers/processes are taking so long. If I can figure that out, I will let you all know.

117 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 19:00

Normal boot is still about the same speed for me, which is disappointing.

8 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 00:00

Unfortunately, the status is still available after the update. Slow fast boot.

52 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 02:00

Just updated everything that was available - I thought I was on the latest Bios but clearly not.

Dell update did the bios + two other drivers (Realtek Audio Driver - A02and Intel Management Engine Components Installer - A06)

Checked restart times after it had restarted and settled down + one more restart for good luck.

A cold boot from the Dell logo which pretty much shows instantaneously from pressing the power button:
14 seconds to logon screen.

Once booted up and without opening anything but where everything is loaded, I hit restart.  From the point of the Dell logo showing, it took 45 seconds to get to the logon screen.

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 04:00

@aj84  so it still takes 45sec to load from cold boot right?

In my case engineer visited today. He replaced my SSD and installed windows (not Dells build just standard without any Dells software). He also installed all drivers manually.

Issue hasn't been resolved. He had his XPS (previous generation) and his would boot in 13-15sec, mine was still at 45sec mark. He called himself technical support and asked what else can be done, they couldn't advise anything else. He suggested I should request a replacement and thats what I am going to do.a

I think more of us should start complaining to Dell directly about this issue so they will see more cases in their database and hopefully work on a solution. I am not too sure myself if a new device will work correctly if there is BIOS/driver issue.

Anyone here has a system that boots quickly (without fast start up of course)?

52 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 04:00

Nope - in my case a cold boot is 14 seconds

It's only the restart takes 45 seconds.
AFter your update, I carried out 3 cold starts and consistently, it took 14 seconds each time.

But then I don't understand the restart taking so long - remember I am timing from the Dell logo and not the shutting down screen so for it to take 31 seconds longer to restart than a cold boot does not make sense.

Out of interest, is your fast boot on or off?  
Also what drive do you have?  Mine is a SSDPEMKF010T8 NVMe Intel 1024GB
And as a reminder, it's the i7 variant with 16gb ram and 4k screen.

117 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 05:00

I just got my unit replaced due to a separate issue. My new unit has a SK Hynix drive while my old unit was a Kioxia drive. No difference in bootup times on both. Fast startup is fast -- about 10s or so, but a restart or full bootup requires 45s++.

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 05:00

@aj84 you are not doing really a cold boot if you have fast boot enabled. Thats why restart is slow for you. Turn off fast startup option and more likely boot will take around 45 sec then. I added a post about fastboot option a few post earlier here.

I have i7 with 1TB disk and FHD screen. Disk doesn't seem to make a difference. Was replaced today.

52 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 09:00

Thanks for this - I for some reason thought you were doing it with fast boot on.

I switched it off, and did 3 cold cold boots.

Boot 1: 52 seconds (On battery)

Boot 2: 50 seconds (On mains/charge)

Boot 3: 50 seconds (On mains/charge)

So fairly in-line with your figures give or take 5 seconds more!

37 Posts

they approved me for replacement which I should get in 2 weeks. However I think it may have the same issue.

I think if anyone knows windows performance analyzer it would be good to keep looking what causes 32sec delay.

@Kyle Sh.did you also see 32sec delay in logs or was it different in your case?

12 Posts

Did the audio drivers update and Intel one.
Same result here…

That is odd, because today at work a had to setup a Latitude 3000 series (kinda entry-level: i5, 8gb ram, slower drive).

A cold restart takes 14 sec!

I did the install same as mine.
Put them together and the latitude was just faster at start-up.
I have not check boot log on mine though.

Need to check

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 10:00

@Kyle Sh.  can't paste my log print screen here for some reason. My Boot-PreSessionInit takes 32sec. I just don't know how to dig into and find out what exactly is going on during this time. Will need some time to read more about this tool. In that link to another forum whoever posted it found a way to get information about failing driver from that log so it must be possible.

2 Posts

Dell tech support wanted me to send the laptop back, but taking days off work to wait for a new laptop is highly disagreeable.

Updating to the new Intel drivers and re-enabling Fast Boot has shortened my boot time to 6-10 seconds. Fast Boot disabled is still around 55-65, but I'm fine with leaving Fast Boot on for now.

46 Posts

@Anthony81 I see that the pre-session (basically the "boot" part) takes 30-40 seconds over here, but I can't find anything that seems to be wrong or delaying it. Is there something I should specifically be looking for?

46 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 11:00

@Anthony81 I think at this point, we need to accept the 30-40 second cold boot and 10- second fast boot. I certainly invite others to look closely at whether any specific driver is slowing down the boot process, but I can't find anything that causes an unusually large delay...

No Events found!