Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 17:00

Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Hi,

I want to submit an issue to Dell that I believe is a driver/chipset INF issue that affects the 9300 lineup. I spoke with Intel on these issues and they confirmed that it will have to be dealt with by Dell.

The new XPS 13 (9300) takes about 50-60 seconds to boot Windows (while the dots are spinning). This issue persists even after reformatting/installing a fresh copy of Win10, installing/uninstalling all drivers, turning fastboot on/off, updating Bios to 1.0.7, etc.

It's likely the error is caused by thousands of driver errors, which is seen in the bootlog as:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

The bootlog is 2,940 lines long, mostly comprised of these messages. Every other Dell laptop (XPS lineup, but not this year's model) that I've checked has a bootlog that is only a couple of hundred lines long.

How can this be submitted to Dell for them to look at? It's likely a driver issue. I contacted support and the representative was absolutely useless at understanding what I was trying to ask...

Can submit the full bootlog if needed.

Thank you!

37 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 12:00

@Kyle Sh. I will try to find some time to understand how to read this log file. It is difficult to accept 45sec boot time in almost €2000 laptop for me.

If anyone can add anything or knows more about WPA tools and can help it would be great.

37 Posts

June 4th, 2020 04:00

@Kyle Sh.I found better guide how to analyse these boot logs. Basically once you created ETL file, you have to run this command:

xperf.exe /tti /tle -i LogFileName.etl -o summary_boot.xml -a boot

This will create a file where you can see that PreSMSS phase takes time, in my case 32sec

and the actuall delay is caused by this and takes 30sec

startTime="103" endTime="30182" duration="30079" prePendTime="30079" description="Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" friendlyName=""/>

I still can't narrow it down to the point others did in below links but I can see a few suspects:

acpi.sys (that's very generic unfortunatelly)

iastorac.sys (this is from Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver)

Still not sure if I am on a right path but maybe someone else will use this information to get to the bottom of it.

Source links:

https://superuser.com/questions/1205024/newish-windows-10-installation-taking-20-minutes-in-the-pre-session-init-phase/1205327#1205327

https://superuser.com/questions/1334015/windows-boot-presessioninit-time-up-to-140sec-struggling-to-find-reason

12 Posts

June 14th, 2020 08:00

Hi all,
Still searching on this topic, I found this news : Windows 10 update bug seriously slows start up time: How to fix it now 

Did one of you uninstall this update?
I'm already with version Windows 10 2004, so I can't find it, but it's maybe integrated.

If one of you could try it and give us a feedback.

37 Posts

June 14th, 2020 13:00

@HugoMRod I don't think this is the case. I had my disk replaced and windows reinstalled. Even without any updates or software installed boot time was still slow.

12 Posts

June 14th, 2020 22:00

@Anthony81 thank you for you feedback.

So...guess I will give up on this one.
We all did our job on trying to help DELL on this case, but I start to think that we will probably never have a clear answer on this topic and a solution.

Anyway thank you for your help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2020 11:00

I installed BIOS v1.0.10 and then v1.0.11 .

With Fast-Startup enabled, my XPS-13 9300 now boots to a usable Windows Desktop in under 10 seconds.

That seems about right. I think I'm calling this issue resolved for me.

37 Posts

June 17th, 2020 00:00

@Tesla1856: no it is not really. It was explained before in this thread what fast startup is. It is not really a cold boot, so your boot process will still be slow if you restart your laptop. Good explanation can be found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2020 09:00

@Anthony81  ,

Your trouble-shooting and posts on this are interesting. You are welcome to continue this.

Thanks (good link), but yes ... I know how it works. 

In my opinion, only real draw-back to using Fast-Startup is that it increases Shut-Down time by a second-or-two (so, an acceptable trade-off). Yes, a "non Fast-Startup" boot takes longer (on any machine).

Like others in this thread have posted recently, after installing latest BIOSes

AND other recent posted/validated updates (April, May, June) to Intel components, etc.

I just wanted to report that it seems better or maybe even fixed. 

37 Posts

June 17th, 2020 11:00

@Tesla1856: I know fast startup can be seen as a "solution" but for me it is not. Why I would agree to wait over a minute for laptop to restart when 3 years old device or €1000 cheaper device can do it in 20sec. This is an expensive "toy" it should perform.

Tomorrow I am getting my replacement device. I will report if there is any difference in boot time or hardware components.

46 Posts

June 17th, 2020 12:00

Yes, there are enough bugs with this laptop that I wish I could still return it....

This is off-topic, but the fact that most HDMI adapters do not work after the 2nd to last bios update (and still not fixed weeks later), and some strange video issues... Does anyone else have problems where the screen will flicker with some garbled up material here and there?? I've disabled all the battery saving features in the Intel graphics command center but it hasn't helped. (sorry I know this is off-topic, but I'm really wondering now if my device is faulty or it's another driver issue)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2020 13:00

Does anyone else have problems where the screen will flicker with some garbled up material here and there??

==============

No, never seen that here with mine.

However, I did see some Intel video-driver updates available from support.dell.com recently. Maybe those will help?

37 Posts

June 19th, 2020 01:00

@Tesla1856yes, I noticed screen flickering on mine too. It comes and goes.

I got my replacement laptop yesterday and as I thought it has exactly the same problem. Boot time takes 45-50sec. It is BIOS/Drivers problem, not hardware but for some reason Dell doesn't want to admit or better, fix it. On top if it , the new one has different SSD disk installed (Intel branded) which is way slower than the one I have in the first device I received.

I don't know whats wrong with Dell, but their quality control is rubbish.

I am going to return both. I don't see the point to keep premium, expensive device which doesn't meet expectations.

Will try new Samsung Galaxy Book Ion series.

12 Posts

June 19th, 2020 02:00

Thank you for your feedback and time @Anthony81 

I think we were more or less afraid of that result.
As you said so well, it's not related to hardware, but something between BIOS and drivers.
Or worse, by design!

I face the same issue, and so many others...
I'm with the support too, but besides asking me to do thinks that I already did twice, the support case is not going forward.
I even showed them this topic here....but they don't want to see that the solution is on their side.

Hope you'll have better results with Samsung.
I'm thinking about Surface Laptop on my side.

52 Posts

June 19th, 2020 12:00

Out of interest, has anyone tried a clean install, switching off fast start and timing it? So by this I mean no installation of any drivers after the install of windows 10 - just the OS and just that one setting being switched off.

46 Posts

June 19th, 2020 13:00

@Anthony81 i saw this yesterday, just in case it's of any interest to you... https://www.tomsguide.com/news/dell-xps-13-killer-leaked-meet-the-lenovo-thinkpad-x1-nano

No Events found!