Highlighted
3 Silver

Re: Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Jump to solution

Hi @RSB1_Boston 

alexcele found a solution for improving the boot time with fastboot enabled. See this post: https://www.dell.com/community/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/XPS/message-id/62998/print-single...

As for the typical cold boot/restart times, those are still slow. There will apparently be a bios update at the end of this month, and we will have to see if that improves anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
I've been told a BIOS update coming end of July may fix the issue. We'll have to wait and see
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi All,

In my case they asked me to find another 2h to talk to Level 3 engineer this week. I hope to have some time on Tuesday.

As already mentioned, this issue is not Windows related and formatting drives and reinstalling is just a waste of time.

What Level 3 engineer wants me to do now is to boot Linux from an external USB - I have already told them that I did this and delay was the same like with Windows boot but they want me to do it again.

Will send an update once I talk to them after Tuesday.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
Today's update. Had a quick call with Dell's engineer. They asked me to install different version of Intel management engine components. That of course made no difference since issue is in a BIOS and has nothing to do with an operating system. Will keep you posted.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@Anthony81 have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
@Kyle Sh, haven't thought about it 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Anthony81Thanks for keeping us updated!

I've a case open as well, they will replace the motherboard and ssd (for this problem and the big usb-ports not working bios 1.0.11 issue (rollback not working)). I maybe don't agree with this solution, but hopefully they have their reasons 🙂 Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If they are replacing the motherboard on yours, that means they have to replace all the motherboards on this model since it looks like everyone has the same issue. I would not recommend that solution since it could be worse. I found a better solution for this issue while we wait for the BIOS update. 

I found one article stating that Hibernating your system is better than actual complete shut down. 

Why? Because the more you start your system either a laptop or desktop from a cold start, the more you wear your hardware including you start bottom, since cold start will pull alot of power out of your hardware, and of course will take longer to start. Just like a car when you start it every day in the morning to go to work.

This is how my system is set up, and I'm very happy with it: My laptop is setup to go into hibernate mode once I close the lid, as you may all know Hibernate is a state between sleep and shutdown but more like shutdown. This does not damage your system at all and does not consume battery power. Then when I open the lid it automatically turns the laptop back on, this takes about 5-10 seconds. Once a week I RESET it to clear space and services. Works great for me. And if they never fix the issue is fine with me since hibernate is been giving me what I need: Speed and durability. Let me know if Im missing something here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell today replaced the motherboard and the SSD.
The problem with the slow boot is still there. Let's hope for the BIOS update later this month.

Important note to those of you who get hardware replacement service from Dell:
When they replaced the shipped Samsung PM891a SSD I payed for they also sent me a receipt of the service where they wrote that they had replaced it with another Samsung PM891a.
However when double checking, I found they actually put in a cheap and ~70% slower Kioxia SSD. So be sure you always double check what components you get when you have service from Dell ProSupport

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've created a new topic about this issue, because not noticed this topic, sorry about that.
I got my new XPS 9300 yesterday and noticed that Dell logo appears 60-100 seconds in every boot. Updated bios/windows/all drivers, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from the scratch, downgraded to prior 2 version of the bios to try, played with Fast boot options on windows/bios and applied all other possible solution recommendation on the internet sources etc...
There is no solution! Really interesting, 7390 is booting in 13 seconds, 9300 2020 is booting in 113 seconds.
I also talked with Microsoft, they've connected my machine and made multiple tests. They said that Windows is working properly, issue needs to be fixed by Dell. It is waiting on the postboot are on the Dell logo screen.

Dear Dell, I really don'T know why you are not taking action for above issue and FN+left/right arrow keystrokes for end/home. You've done it for FN+up/down arrow for page up/down, that means it is possible to do that with a firmware update. Also, Insert key is not detecting in any software like SharpKeys for reassigning.
Please help us...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Latest news I got from Dell is that new BIOS version will be released before the end of a month which should fix it. We will see soon.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the good news, you made my day!
Could you share the home/end key issue to team that you are currently connected? Let me write details below again.
Currently, home/end keys are assigned to F11/F12; however page up/down keys are assigned to FN+up and down arrow as expected. It is really hard to use F11/F12 for home/end functions while coding.
If they can assign home/end keys to FN+Left and right arrow keys like other models, that would be an awesome for all.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi all

I was exact same problem.

but today I run dell supportassist, Trubleshooting tab and I want to trobuleshoot my PC scroll.

> My PC is running slower than it used to scroll

and run

> My PC is running slowly

and also run

> My PC is taking a long time to start

then SupprtAssist run clean registry and sum action

result my Dell9300 was fast : boot time under 10sec.

very nice condition

Before I was clean-up install windows10.

thanks all.

JUN5382_0-1595523496753.pngJUN5382_1-1595523533207.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This issue is occurring on both my 9300s. I ordered a second one thinking it was an issue with the first. 

Nope. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@JUN5382 is this 10 seconds with fastboot enabled? how long does it take for you to restart?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If I to be honest, it is unbelievable. If his machine is 9300, what is my or your machine? If our machines are 9300, which machine he is using? 🙂
It seems that he is most lucky 9300 user in the community, hope that we will get same result after upgrading bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Tried the troubleshooting mentioned above with supportassist... it cleaned up a couple of registry keys and that's it. No improvement here.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Not that it necessarily helps, but I have two 9300s - both ordered in July. I ordered the second one b/c I thought this issue was just an occurrence on my first one. Nope - surprised Dell still hasn't addressed this. 

Between this and the headphone issue (again, issue appears on both machines), this is likely going back. A shame - the exterior build quality is quite nice. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

BIOS Ver 1.0.11

system i7-1065G7, 16GByte RAM, 1T SSD model

BIOS fast boot ON

Restart under 30sec.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello @JUN5382 

What does it meen 'bios fast boot on'? If I'm not wrong, on latest bios version there are 3 options in the fast boot, but there is no 'on' option.
-Fastboot
Valid Argument thorough, minimal, automatic
• thorough — Sets POST to perform complete hardware and
configuration testing.
• minimal — Sets POST to perform minimal hardware testing.
• automatic — Allows the BIOS to decide what level of POST test
is used.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry Autometic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, I did not understand your message. Could you rephrase?

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click my Dell-name and send me a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

As I understand from the description of the 'Auto' option, system bios decides which test will be completed durring the boot.
Also, as per your message,  a firmware and/or hardware issue preventing our machines to pass the test and boot quickly like yours.
This is the 13th page on this topic, so @DELL-Cares needs to share an official post/explanation about issue. do we need to request for a replacement for our units or is it a firmware issue? Time is counting, so local supports will refuse our replace request.
I will now share this issue and all details directly with MR. Michael DELL via a private email for a complete solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I think all the references to "fast boot" refers to the Fast boot option within Windows. The preboot phase is quite quick, but then the actual loading of Windows is very slow (while the spinning dot is there). We've been able to get the fastboot down to ~20 seconds with some additional drivers posted earlier in this thread, but a regular cold boot/restart still takes anywhere from 45-120 seconds based on what others have been experiencing in this thread.

@DELL-Cares I'm not sure which post you were referring to, but please let me know if you have any questions about what we are experiencing. Some have said a bios update is coming soon that will fix this issue (as well as the USB type-c HDMI adapter problems). If you are able to confirm this for us, that would be wonderful! Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

Unfortunately, restart or powering windows takes more than 50 seconds here everytime. What do you think, do I need to request for a replacement? Fast boot on Windows is disabled and on bios it set to 'auto'.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ordered my XPS 9300 around a month ago... 

i7, 16GB, 512GB PC611 NVMe SK hynix 512GB

Standard build, not been re-imaged yet, all driver and firmware upto date.

Sleep wakeup time : instant

Cold boot time to windows login page : around 60 seconds

Purchased this laptop to replace my 10 year old XPS 14, which was finally getting a little long in the tooth, and it boots faster than this one 😞 but this one sooooo much more speedy at everything else... my trick so far, never turn it off 🙂

Interested to hear there is a new BIOS on the way, id not seen anything in the reviews about the reboot time issue, but the fans were noted a few times, that they spin up and dont spin back down, cant say im affected though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes, I checked almost all reviews on Youtube and noone mentioned this issue, really interesting. Maybe Dell gifted testing unit to them or sent a fantastic device for review to prevent any possible negative thoughts 😊😂
Looking forward for bios update for fix this issue and add function for FN+Left and right arrow keys to use as home/end.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

We haven't heard from you for a while now and we do not mean to rush you here.

If you are busy and need some other time to troubleshoot this further, then let us know, we will archive the case as of now and reopen it when you get back to us.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, click my Dell-name and send me a private message with your Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Not understand above message, we are waiting update for this topic.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Very excited, 3 days left to end of July and Bios update! Dell, please do not forget us!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hello, I’m interested to know about the new bios release date. You mentioned in 3 days for the release, is that official? 

I’m having similar issues with my new 9300: 60+ sec restart/boot, and the overall performance is choppy. 

Trying to decide if to wait and see if the new bios resolves these issues or I need to return the unit. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

I red prior messages in this topic, some friends mentioned that they received information from L3 support about releasing new version before end of July.
Just wrote above message for bump the topic.

I'm waiting for the update for the same reason. If it is not solve my issue, I will return my product and never touch the Dell for the laptop computer. As a developer, I know that Boot time and assigning home/end to the left/right arrow keys issue can be solved by firmware update; but I really don't know they are reading our messages/thoughts. Moderator @DELL-Cares didn't write anything related about these topics.

Hope that get a good news for all soon.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am an IT Manager for a company with 130+ employees. We have many desktop/laptops in use. Most of the laptops are lower end Dells but they all boot to windows in under 10 seconds. From inspiron to alienware, I've yet to see this issue. I definitely will not be providing any of these to our salesteam until this is resolved. Can we please get an open, transparent, and honest answer on this problem? When will the fix be ready?

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Alright guys.... the new bios has been posted! Time to install and see what happens. Fingers crossed. 🙂

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I just installed BIOS 1.1.0...so far it seems to boot much faster through the Dell logo screen

FYI, I did not install the Intel Management Engine Component listed by @Kyle Sh. 

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

With the new bios installed, the windows loading screen for a cold boot is now ~13 seconds. Definitely much better than 45-60 seconds!

To summarize, the following two steps were helpful in fixing this issue:

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Can confirm new bios fixes slow boot issue. Also monitoring if it fixed the screen flicker issueS as well. So far it has not flickered with these newer bios. Still to early to tell since I just loaded them a few minutes ago. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@korngtl15 I hope you're right about the flicker... I had a new screen put on mine, but I'm still having problems. I invite you to look at what happened just a few minutes ago (with latest bios and drivers)...... sigh:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iMUisDRys4o3xDSf7

edit: i must say, looking at all those colors on the screen, it's quite beautiful - don't you think?? too bad it renders my expensive XPS completely useless 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello,

Did you disable fast boot on Windows? Also, what is your boot option on bios, Minimal or auto?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Yes fast boot is disabled in Windows 10.  I did not touch the bios settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
Hi All, Good news, finally new BIOS has been released. It has the same number but I noticed that one of the payloads has a new version number. After an update laptop boots in 15 seconds ! (of course without a fast boot or any other "tricks") Finally after 3 months they have managed to resolve it. I wonder how much money they lost in a process by changing all these disks, system boards and other nonsense instead of admitting what some of us were telling them from the start - BIOS problem 🙂 Good luck everybody. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Installed the new Bios last night. Boots in 14sec now, which is okay and better than 60+sec. However, that didn't fix the choppy performance. Still gets stuck on idle for a few seconds here and there during the very basic tasks (i.e. open the Update & Security or Control panel, restart on idle takes forever (around 60 sec or more), etc...). Anyone else is experiencing this?   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@Simonx123 I don't have these issues... I haven't noticed a lag with simple tasks like that, and my restart time is now around 14 seconds (windows loading only... not including Bios/shut down/login)

When you say the system is lagging, are you perhaps referring to the mouse lagging/skipping?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

No, no mouse lagging/skipping..just very randomly takes way more time to do simple tasks as I mentioned before (like hiccups). Sometimes, when I open lets say Control Panel (on idle), it thinks /hangs for 3-5 sec and only then it completes the task.

My boot also takes now around the 14sec (from the dell logo appearance to the windows login), however, the shutdown of the machine when I perform restart takes more then 60 sec (on idle). Thinking to return this unit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@Simonx123 with these kinds of issues, since others do not seem to have them, I would recommend reinstalling windows 10... from scratch. Get the media creation tool for Microsoft, put windows 10 on a USB stick and do a complete format/fresh install. You can then download all the drivers needed from Dell.

If you haven't done this, I would say it's worth trying before returning the unit. The issues smell like software trouble!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

With the new bios installed, the windows loading screen for a cold boot is now ~13 seconds. Definitely much better than 45-60 seconds!

To summarize, the following two steps were helpful in fixing this issue:

Install new bios, v. 1.1.0
Install Intel Management Engine Components (not listed under this service tag for some reason), available here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6d5x6&oscode=wt64a&productco...

=====================================

Same here.

Switched OFF Fast-Startup

20 seconds to a ready state (usable Windows-10 desktop).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
Will the new BIOS and the Intel Management Engine Components be installed if I run the Dell update tool?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you already have the latest drivers installed then Dell update tool is not much of a help here. However, you could take a data backup of the system.

Our next step would be to try refreshing or resetting Windows or Dell Factory Image Restore. These videos would help you perform the steps:

1. Windows Refresh/Reset :https://dell.to/311fSYM
  2. Support Assist OS Recovery /Dell Factory Image Restore: https://dell.to/33dDsEm

An important note before we try these steps:

1. Refresh your PC: Windows Refresh will reinstall operating system (OS) files and settings while keeping the data. Any applications or device drivers added after the initial setup may need to be reinstalled. OS settings such as network connections and display preferences will also need to be re-established.
  2. Reset your PC: Windows Reset will completely remove the current operating system, settings, and data and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. It is important to note that all personal data will be lost if you have not backed them up on an external storage device.
  3. SupportAssist OS Recovery: Use this option if the original Dell factory image (operating system) or a previously backed up image is available. It is important to note that all personal data will be lost if you have NOT backed them up on an external storage device.

The primary step before initiating Windows Reset/Refresh/SA OS Recovery is to back up data. Here is a link on how you can do this: https://dell.to/2XfYbnb. If you need assistance with backing up the data, you could also contact a local technician.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello

Awaiting a response to our previous message.

Dell-SimranC
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

@Roland10pont wrote:
Will the new BIOS and the Intel Management Engine Components be installed if I run the Dell update tool?

IMO, it's risky to let Dell Update or SupportAssist install BIOS updates.

Manually download the new BIOS update .exe file onto your desktop. Connect PC to its power adapter and plug into the wall. Make sure you're logged into an account with Administrator privileges, close all open apps and windows, and temporarily disable your anti-viral app.

Then double-click the BIOS update .exe file and leave PC alone until you're back at the desktop. And then make sure your the anti-viral app is re-enabled.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I'm not a Dell employee

0 Kudos