Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 17:00

Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Hi,

I want to submit an issue to Dell that I believe is a driver/chipset INF issue that affects the 9300 lineup. I spoke with Intel on these issues and they confirmed that it will have to be dealt with by Dell.

The new XPS 13 (9300) takes about 50-60 seconds to boot Windows (while the dots are spinning). This issue persists even after reformatting/installing a fresh copy of Win10, installing/uninstalling all drivers, turning fastboot on/off, updating Bios to 1.0.7, etc.

It's likely the error is caused by thousands of driver errors, which is seen in the bootlog as:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

The bootlog is 2,940 lines long, mostly comprised of these messages. Every other Dell laptop (XPS lineup, but not this year's model) that I've checked has a bootlog that is only a couple of hundred lines long.

How can this be submitted to Dell for them to look at? It's likely a driver issue. I contacted support and the representative was absolutely useless at understanding what I was trying to ask...

Can submit the full bootlog if needed.

Thank you!

67 Posts

July 29th, 2020 11:00

Can confirm new bios fixes slow boot issue. Also monitoring if it fixed the screen flicker issueS as well. So far it has not flickered with these newer bios. Still to early to tell since I just loaded them a few minutes ago. 

67 Posts

July 29th, 2020 14:00

Yes fast boot is disabled in Windows 10.  I did not touch the bios settings.

39 Posts

July 29th, 2020 14:00

Hello,

Did you disable fast boot on Windows? Also, what is your boot option on bios, Minimal or auto?

Thank you.

46 Posts

July 29th, 2020 16:00

@korngtl15 I hope you're right about the flicker... I had a new screen put on mine, but I'm still having problems. I invite you to look at what happened just a few minutes ago (with latest bios and drivers)...... sigh:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iMUisDRys4o3xDSf7

edit: i must say, looking at all those colors on the screen, it's quite beautiful - don't you think?? too bad it renders my expensive XPS completely useless

37 Posts

July 30th, 2020 00:00

Hi All, Good news, finally new BIOS has been released. It has the same number but I noticed that one of the payloads has a new version number. After an update laptop boots in 15 seconds ! (of course without a fast boot or any other "tricks") Finally after 3 months they have managed to resolve it. I wonder how much money they lost in a process by changing all these disks, system boards and other nonsense instead of admitting what some of us were telling them from the start - BIOS problem Good luck everybody. 

4 Posts

July 30th, 2020 07:00

Installed the new Bios last night. Boots in 14sec now, which is okay and better than 60+sec. However, that didn't fix the choppy performance. Still gets stuck on idle for a few seconds here and there during the very basic tasks (i.e. open the Update & Security or Control panel, restart on idle takes forever (around 60 sec or more), etc...). Anyone else is experiencing this?   

4 Posts

July 30th, 2020 10:00

No, no mouse lagging/skipping..just very randomly takes way more time to do simple tasks as I mentioned before (like hiccups). Sometimes, when I open lets say Control Panel (on idle), it thinks /hangs for 3-5 sec and only then it completes the task.

My boot also takes now around the 14sec (from the dell logo appearance to the windows login), however, the shutdown of the machine when I perform restart takes more then 60 sec (on idle). Thinking to return this unit.

46 Posts

July 30th, 2020 10:00

@Simonx123 I don't have these issues... I haven't noticed a lag with simple tasks like that, and my restart time is now around 14 seconds (windows loading only... not including Bios/shut down/login)

When you say the system is lagging, are you perhaps referring to the mouse lagging/skipping?

46 Posts

July 30th, 2020 11:00

@Simonx123 with these kinds of issues, since others do not seem to have them, I would recommend reinstalling windows 10... from scratch. Get the media creation tool for Microsoft, put windows 10 on a USB stick and do a complete format/fresh install. You can then download all the drivers needed from Dell.

If you haven't done this, I would say it's worth trying before returning the unit. The issues smell like software trouble!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 30th, 2020 18:00

With the new bios installed, the windows loading screen for a cold boot is now ~13 seconds. Definitely much better than 45-60 seconds!

To summarize, the following two steps were helpful in fixing this issue:

Install new bios, v. 1.1.0
Install Intel Management Engine Components (not listed under this service tag for some reason), available here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6d5x6&oscode=wt64a&productco...

=====================================

Same here.

Switched OFF Fast-Startup

20 seconds to a ready state (usable Windows-10 desktop).

July 30th, 2020 22:00

Will the new BIOS and the Intel Management Engine Components be installed if I run the Dell update tool?

• 

25K Posts

July 30th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

If you already have the latest drivers installed then Dell update tool is not much of a help here. However, you could take a data backup of the system.

Our next step would be to try refreshing or resetting Windows or Dell Factory Image Restore. These videos would help you perform the steps:

1. Windows Refresh/Reset :https://dell.to/311fSYM
  2. Support Assist OS Recovery /Dell Factory Image Restore: https://dell.to/33dDsEm

An important note before we try these steps:

1. Refresh your PC: Windows Refresh will reinstall operating system (OS) files and settings while keeping the data. Any applications or device drivers added after the initial setup may need to be reinstalled. OS settings such as network connections and display preferences will also need to be re-established.
  2. Reset your PC: Windows Reset will completely remove the current operating system, settings, and data and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. It is important to note that all personal data will be lost if you have not backed them up on an external storage device.
  3. SupportAssist OS Recovery: Use this option if the original Dell factory image (operating system) or a previously backed up image is available. It is important to note that all personal data will be lost if you have NOT backed them up on an external storage device.

The primary step before initiating Windows Reset/Refresh/SA OS Recovery is to back up data. Here is a link on how you can do this: https://dell.to/2XfYbnb. If you need assistance with backing up the data, you could also contact a local technician.

• 

109 Posts

August 1st, 2020 12:00

Hello

Awaiting a response to our previous message.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 1st, 2020 17:00

@Roland10pont wrote:
Will the new BIOS and the Intel Management Engine Components be installed if I run the Dell update tool?

IMO, it's risky to let Dell Update or SupportAssist install BIOS updates.

Manually download the new BIOS update .exe file onto your desktop. Connect PC to its power adapter and plug into the wall. Make sure you're logged into an account with Administrator privileges, close all open apps and windows, and temporarily disable your anti-viral app.

Then double-click the BIOS update .exe file and leave PC alone until you're back at the desktop. And then make sure your the anti-viral app is re-enabled.

• 

109 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 12:00

Hello,

Since we have not received a reply from you, we are closing this case. If you decide to continue at a later date, you will need to start a new thread. 

No Events found!