Go to Solution

November 3rd, 2019 02:00

Can I drive a 32" 4K monitor?

Hi folks,

I have a Dell XPS 15 with:

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I have a few questions:

If I attach a second monitor will the Geforce drive it?

Will the card be able to run a 4K Benq PD2700u or Pd3200u monitor?

I will be using it for Photo editing & graphic design work.

Also, can someone direct me to a learning resource that will allow my to understand the answers to my question.

Cheers.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

November 3rd, 2019 06:00

@Dellalias  based on the GPU you mentioned, you have an XPS 15 9560.  Yes, you can drive a 4K display, in fact you can drive two of them with the right equipment.  If you just want to attach one, the easiest way is to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter.  If you want two, you'd have to use either a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter or a Thunderbolt 3 dock like the WD19TB.

On the XPS 15 9560, the Intel GPU has direct control of all display outputs, including the built-in display.  However, the GeForce GPU is still available as a "render-only" device to accelerate content on those displays.  When needed, it will step in and do all of the rendering work, then pass completed video frames to the Intel GPU for output to the attached display(s).  This technology is called NVIDIA Optimus.  This works fine with most games and applications, including automatic detection of when the NVIDIA GPU should be used, but there are some applications where you might have to go into NVIDIA Control Panel to manually configure the NVIDIA GPU to be enabled when certain applications are launched.  In addition, Optimus does mean that certain types of technologies aren't available because the Intel GPU doesn't support passing them through and/or because they require an NVIDIA GPU to have direct control fo the display outputs, which it doesn't in this system.  Technologies unavailable in an Optimus setup include G-Sync, Adaptive V-Sync, VR, stereoscopic 3D, and 5K resolution.  That last one is available on the very latest Intel GPUs that are incorporated into Intel's "Ice Lake" CPUs, but that's not what your system has.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Dellalias 

To better assist you, the members would need the exact model number of your laptop/desktop???

Identify your Dell:

https://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/04/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag?dgc=SM&cid=226210&lid=spr2429124398&linkId=69606563

Best regards,

U2

PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY SERVICE TAGS!!!

No Events found!