Highlighted
1 Copper

Cant install windows from usb stick / GPT error

Jump to solution

Hi,

i cant install Windows 10 from a USB drive. The installer tells me that the partition is in gpt format and that there is a conflict with my bios/boot drive.

My stick in in mbr/ntfs

In the bios i have to enable leagacy mode in order to boot from any stick

If i create a stick with gpt and fat32 i simply cant boot from it.

If i disable legacy boot options, then i cant boot from a stick.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

No response received

Jump to solution

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Cant install windows from usb stick / GPT error

Jump to solution

@nearlygod  You don’t want to enable Legacy Boot to install Windows, because then Windows will actually install itself in Legacy mode. How did you create the USB stick? If you didn’t use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, try that, because it creates a flash drive that can be booted either way. Then disable Legacy mode and enable UEFI Secure Boot to force your system to boot in UEFI mode. If you can’t boot from your flash drive at that point, maybe try another flash drive, because installers for Windows 8 and up support being booted in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled.

Then at the step asking where to install Windows, delete all existing partitions on your internal drive until it shows as a single Unallocated Space entry and choose that. Otherwise, if it’s set up in MBR and you booted in UEFI mode, it won’t allow itself to be installed there. Same if it’s GPT and you booted in Legacy. That’s why deleting existing partitions is helpful, since then it just initializes the disk as needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Jump to solution

@nearlygod  Adding to my earlier post, just for reference, the error about the disk being in GPT is referring to the target disk that you're trying to install Windows onto, not the flash drive where you've got your Windows installation media loaded.  As I said above, if you boot Windows installation media while you have your system in Legacy mode, then Windows will attempt to install itself in Legacy mode onto the disk you select.  Systems configured in Legacy mode can only boot from MBR disks, not GPT disks.  So the error you're seeing right now is basically Windows Setup telling you, "Hey, you booted me in Legacy mode, so I'm trying to perform a Legacy mode installation, but you've chosen a GPT disk as the installation target, which isn't going to work because this Legacy system isn't going to be able to boot from that GPT disk you selected."

But again, the proper fix here is to get your flash drive set up in a way that you can boot it in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled, so that Windows installs itself in UEFI mode on your system.  In that situation, it won't throw an error about choosing a GPT disk as your install target, although here again I recommend just deleting all existing partitions until the disk is just unallocated space.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks so much.

That was very helpful. I did manage to install W10 now and have a nice dual boot setup, which for the time beeing safes my life.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No response received

Jump to solution

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

0 Kudos