Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2021 09:00

Charging while working 8-9hrs/day

Hello! Is it okay to charge your laptop (mine is newly bought XPS 13 2in1) while working? My job requires non-stop 8-9 hours a day. 

My previous laptop (Lenovo Z50) had an external battery. So I use to remove it and while I plug in the charger and work. 

This is my first time to use a laptop with internal battery.

Your advise and shared knowledge is much appreciated. Thank you!

380 Posts

August 8th, 2021 06:00

How often are you using it only on battery? If you are constantly switching from battery to AC, you could cause your battery to deteriorate at a faster rate. There are numerous posts here about batteries starting to swell, sometimes within a year, and making them hazardous because of not taking proper precautions. What you should do is set an upper charge limit (say 80%) and a recharge limit (say 50%). This will extend the life of your battery. If there is a temporary need to have a full charge, you can change the settings to accommodate that and reset them afterwards.

Enjoy your new computer,

JohnD

87 Posts

August 8th, 2021 07:00

Assuming you have "Dell Power Manager" installed, it is recommended to configure it reflective of your primary use.

When launching the application you'll be presented with the following:

commodon_0-1628431324024.png

Next, click the "Settings" button and select the primary way you use the laptop. In my use I leave my Dell XPS 15 connected to AC power all of the time. Rarely do I unplug my laptop from AC power so I select "Primarily AC Use".

commodon_1-1628431625717.png

The default is "Adaptive" which allows the laptop to adjust its charging methodology based on your use.

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

It's ok to charge while working. It does not need to be charged all the time. 

See all the facts here--FAQ - Laptop battery articles - Dell Community

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

That would be fine. I rarely unplug my Latitude and it works just fine like that. It may cause some loss of battery storage but in your case I suspect you really have no choice. This web page has more information. And this Dell support page.

7 Posts

August 7th, 2021 09:00

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 9th, 2021 09:00

@Mabbs06  Variations of this question come up a lot.  See the reply I wrote in this thread.

No Events found!