Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2019 13:00

Clean install, use Manufacturer drivers or Dell Drivers?

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell XPS 2 in 1 laptop and plan to perform a clean install (to remove McAfee and other demo software/bloat etc) my question is... what is the best practice with regards to drivers and why?

In other words, is it best to download drivers from Intel and others directly/let Windows install drivers on it own OR is it best to download and install the Dell drivers?    It appears the manufacturer drivers have later versions and are updated more frequently so that's why I ask.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 16:00

You must use Dell drivers because they are customized by Dell specifically for your laptop motherboard and hardware. Intel and AMD and other manufacturers will warn you about that when you try to get their drivers because they will not work. Laptop drivers are rarely updated but if they are they must come from Dell. There is a sign up available for driver update notification on the Driver download page.

You must not have had a new computer in a few years. It is no longer useful to clean install windows on a new computer. Windows is now installed from an image file. If you don't want some programs that are not system programs those can be uninstalled the usual way under Apps and Features. McAfee has a utility to finish the uninstall of their program. You could lose some installed programs that you might need or want later on.

Use the computer as is without changing anything until you know that it is working fine in case you need to contact Support. Make all the recovery disks before changing anything. Follow the directions on Dell Support. Driver installation info is on the Dell driver and download pages.

No Events found!