Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 26th, 2018 06:00

Connect XPS 13 9370 to external Monitor

Hi Team,

How can I connect  Dell XPS 13 9370 to Dell U2717D Monitor.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 26th, 2018 07:00

There are several options.  The simplest would be a USB-C to DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI dongle/cable.  Or if you wanted to drive multiple displays from a single connector, you could look at a Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter or a full dock like the WD15 or TB16.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2018 12:00

Hi, I have got TB16 and still unable to resolve the issue. Please suggest.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 13:00

What display output are you using on the TB16?  And what input are you using on the display?  Did you make sure the display is set to the correct input?  Do you have the Thunderbolt software installed on your system?  If so, after you connected the dock you should have seen a popup asking you whether you want to allow the dock to be used.  The easiest choice is to say "Always allow".  Does anything else work on the dock right now, such as the USB ports, Ethernet, audio, etc.?  The more information you provide, the more helpful other people can be.  Just saying you are "still unable to resolve the issue" is not helpful information, especially since it's not even clear what the "issue" is.  Originally you were just asking how you would connect displays to your system; you didn't mention any specific problem at that time.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 28th, 2021 11:00

@Yen0001  Also, since you have an HDMI cable from your Inspiron 15 to test with as well, what happens if you connect the HDMI cable to the DA300's HDMI output?

4 Posts

I have got the same issue. I am using dell's USB-C Mobile adapter DA300 connecting to Dell 27 monitor (S2721HS) with a DP 1.2 cable. The Monitor kept say that there is no DP signal from the device.

I try the monitor out with my other laptop, an Inspiron 15. I connected it to the same monitor with a HDMI cable and it works perfectly.

So, what is my problem here?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Yen0001  What system are you using?  I realize this thread topic mentions the XPS 13 9370, but sometimes people post about other systems.  Are you using an XPS 13 9370?  If not, what system are you using the DA300 with?  Not all systems with USB-C ports support video output from those ports, and if your system doesn't support video over USB-C, then the DA300's video outputs won't work.  If your system DOES support video over USB-C, then it sounds like it's either the DA300 or the DisplayPort cable.  Can you test either one separately from the other?

4 Posts

June 28th, 2021 12:00

I am also using xps13 9370. 

When I used HDMI port instead of DP1.2, it also didn't work. That's why I try out DP instead.

Also I don't think the DA300 is broken since it work when connecting to keyboard and mouse via USB port.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 28th, 2021 13:00

@Yen0001  Support for USB peripherals on the DA300 doesn't necessarily mean it's working perfectly.  Video over USB-C is carried over a completely separate pair of lanes within a USB-C connector, and of course there might be an issue specifically with the video-related circuitry within the DA300.  The next test that would be helpful to run would be to try a simple USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter to see whether the XPS 13 7390 will send video over USB-C without the DA300 involved.  Or if you have another system with a USB-C port that supports video, you could of course try the DA300 there.  But if you don't have the necessary equipment for either of those tests, then it will difficult to identify the source of the problem.  But if you haven't already, update your system's BIOS and Intel Graphics drivers.

4 Posts

June 29th, 2021 11:00

Got an USB-C to DisplayPort cable and it still don't work. Perhaps this is a software issue. Any recommendation of what to do?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 29th, 2021 11:00

@Yen0001  Sorry to hear that.  Just to confirm, are you testing all three USB-C ports on your system?  They all should support video output, so try them all if you haven't already.

The only things you'd be able to update that might be involved here would be the system BIOS/firmware and the Intel Graphics drivers.  Or if you're already current on the latter, you can try completely uninstalling the drivers before reinstalling them.  That fixed an HDMI audio output issue that I helped someone else with here.  The other possibility is of course a hardware issue.  I've been helping someone else here who has two XPS 13 9360 systems.  One works fine with multiple USB-C to HDMI adapters, and the other doesn't work with either one, even after updating drivers, firmware, etc., and in fact even after transplanting the SSD from the working system over to the non-working system to rule out any software problems.  So in their case it looks like a hardware problem, which unfortunately would require a motherboard replacement to fix.

4 Posts

June 29th, 2021 12:00

That's some unfortunate news...

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a lot for so many informative advice.

No Events found!