Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2021 07:00

Connecting XPS 15 and Optoma projector for 4k signal

Hi all,

Newbie here, so apologies if this sounds too dumb. I couldn't find this answered elsewhere.

I have an XPS 15 9550, and just bought a 4k enabled Optoma UHD35 projector. The laptop plays 4k videos on YouTube just fine, but the projector only receives a 1080p 60 hz signal when connected to it via HDMI. I use a Dell USB C to HDMI and VGA adapter, which, if I understand correctly, doesn't seem to be capable of sending out a 4k signal at 60 hz.

How do I test 4k on the projector? I thought of checking it at 30 hz, but the display options only show one refresh rate, 60 hz. The laptop also has an NVidia graphics card built in, but I don't know if that can help in any manner. 

I want to connect a Chromecast 4k to the projector and watch Netflix 4k content, but need to make sure everything will work before I order a new Chromecast with Android TV (I have an older HD one) AND upgrade my Netflix subscription.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 9th, 2021 09:00

@kumaramesh  The HDMI output on the XPS 15 9550 doesn't support 4K 60 Hz.  That requires HDMI 2.0, which didn't arrive until the 9570.  But it should support 1440p 60 Hz and 4K 30 Hz, and you should be able to configure those using the Intel Graphics Control Panel / Command Center even if Windows Display Settings isn't giving you those options.  But if you want 4K 60 Hz, then you want a simple USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable.  I'm not sure exactly what Dell USB-C to HDMI/VGA adapter you used, but that absolutely could have been a limitation.  If that adapter included a USB 3.0 port or something like Gigabit Ethernet, then the adapter would have cut your video bandwidth in half to allow running USB 3.0 data, which would limit you to 4K 30 Hz / 1440p 60 Hz.  And some other adapters like the Dell DA200 only support 1080p over HDMI due to limitations within the adapter itself.  But a simple USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable would not be carrying USB 3.x data and therefore would be able to access full video bandwidth from that system's USB-C port, which has a DisplayPort 1.2 source interface and therefore is able to run 4K 60 Hz.

February 9th, 2021 11:00

@jphughan Thanks so much! I do indeed have a Dell DA200 adapter, so will order a USB C to HDMI 2 cable and report back.

February 25th, 2021 22:00

I'm happy to report that a display port to projector cable gives me 4k output. Thanks one again for the help!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 26th, 2021 06:00

@kumaramesh  Excellent! Thanks for reporting back, and glad I was able to help.

No Events found!