Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2020 13:00

Connecting to a wireless display (Samsung 7 Series smart TV)

Hi, 

Hoping someone can help. I have just purchased the Dell XPS13 7390 Intel Core i7 version and I am trying to cast my screen to a Samsung 7 series smart TV  - using the wireless connectivity function.

I have successfully added the device and the laptop recognises the TV. However, when I select to connect a pop-up on the TV says that it is connecting to my laptop but after several seconds it fails? I have researched the issue to no avail, the closest I got, which I read on this forum, was that some chap had the same issue and fixed it by changing from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz. Tried that... but still fails?

Has anyone had the same issue and found a fix? Appreciate any help offered!

Cheers

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2020 17:00

@Papillon79  Not sure what's going on there, but try downloading that BIOS file directly from support.dell.com and running it as a standalone.  You might at least get a descriptive error message even if it doesn't just work immediately.  Here is the direct link to the download page for that BIOS update.

No firmware updates on the TV side?

June 6th, 2020 03:00

@jphughan thought I would update you on this issue.

I tried to disconnect from the WIFI but that didn't work i'm afraid, my laptop could only 'see' the TV when WIFI was switched on. It then dawned on me that I had recently installed a new wireless network so I could boost signal throughout the house and control devices / setup a guest network. All my devices were hooked up to this new network but my TV was still hardwired into the SKY router. So, I unplugged it and put it on the same network... still had the same problem, the Laptop was still picking the TV up but couldn't connect. I was now convinced that it wasn't a software or WIFI issue and turned my attention to BLUETOOTH. 

I went to Apps & Features, found the Bluetooth software - Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) - clicked modify and ran the repair...

The laptop now connects to the TV with ease and works well. This also fixed an issue I was having with Dell Mobile Connect.

Took a while but persistence prevailed!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 29th, 2020 13:00

@Papillon79  Does Dell Update/SupportAssist indicate that you've got all updates installed?  If so, have you tried updating the firmware on your TV?  This should be quite straightforward given that the built-in Windows wireless display functionality doesn't offer any sort of advanced configuration options, so if it doesn't work out of the box, there aren't a lot of options -- which is why I'm hoping updates might resolve it.

May 29th, 2020 14:00

@jphughan that brings me onto another issue! It does require a System BIOS update (as per the SupportAssist app) so you may be right about that. However, every time I try to update that it fails?! I will keep trying to install the update. Thanks for the guidance...

Just for info, this is the update info that keeps failing...

Dell XPS 13 7390 System BIOS
This package contains the Dell system BIOS update. BIOS is a firmware that is embedded on a small memory chip on the system board. It controls the keyboard, monitor, disk drives, and other devices. This package contains the Intel Security Advisories INTEL-SA-00307, INTEL-SA-00289, INTEL-SA-00220, INTEL-SA-00254, and INTEL-SA-00317. A security advisory is a statement when a product is impacted by a security vulnerability and a remedy is available.
Version: 1.5.1
Category: BIOS
Release Date: April 07, 2020
Last Updated: NA
Importance: Urgent
File Format: Update Package for Microsoft Windows
File Name: XPS_13_7390_1.5.1.exe
File Size: 11.56 MB

May 30th, 2020 05:00

@jphughan That worked after 3 attempts! Thanks very much. I now have all updated drivers on both laptop and TV but still having the same issue, TV clearly states connecting but then fails? Will keep at it or may just give up and use the trusty wired connection! (Although it will constantly frustrate me until i understand why!) 

Thanks again. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 30th, 2020 06:00

@Papillon79  Glad the manual download worked, although I don't know why it would've taken 3 attempts or why the SupportAssist method didn't work in the first place.  Sorry it didn't resolve the issue though.  In terms of what's going on there, I remember once using this capability to wirelessly project to my Xbox One, which can act as a receiver for the benefit of TVs that don't have this capability built in, and I noticed that after updating a new Windows 10 release, I'd lost the ability to select the option to allow receiver-side keyboard and mouse input, i.e. the ability to use my Xbox controller to navigate the PC that was projecting to it.  I never did figure out what happened there.  If memory serves, I think I ended up just doing a clean install of that new Windows 10 version (not just for that reason) and it worked again.

Quick idea though: What happens if you disconnect from your home WiFi network?  Don't enable Airplane Mode to completely disable your WiFi, but try just disconnecting from your WiFi network.  I believe that should still allow you to connect to the TV because I'm fairly sure this wireless projection technique uses WiFi Direct, which is a point-to-point connection that can be established alongside an existing WiFi connection that each device maintains.  If so, then your laptop and TV wouldn't need to be on a common network to achieve wireless projection, but I'm just curious if having that as the ONLY connection your laptop is working with makes a difference.  I realize this wouldn't be a convenient way to operate, but I'm just wondering as a test.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 6th, 2020 07:00

@Papillon79  Glad you got it sorted!  Although I have to say that makes it difficult to account for the results you encountered along the way.  If mucking around with Bluetooth fixed the issue, then that suggests even more strongly that the TV is using WiFi Direct for wireless casting, because WiFi Direct uses Bluetooth for discovery and pairing but WiFi for actual data transmission.  But if WiFi Direct was being used, then you should've been able to see the TV even while your laptop and TV weren't connected to a common WiFi network.  Very strange...  But thanks for reporting back!

No Events found!