Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

6 Posts

August 17th, 2022 08:00

DA20 USB-C to USB-A/HDMI, Garmin Dezl 760

XPS 17 9710

XPS 17 9710

My XPS 17 has 4 USB-C ports and no USB-A (or HDMI) ports, so Dell included an adapter, which is nice.

I have a Garmin Dezl 760 GPS which needs to download map updates via a USB-A data cable.

So, I used the Dell adapter to connect the Garmin mini-USB to USB-A cable to the XPS 17, but the adapter seems to not be allowing data through to the Garmin GPS.

I have tested the mini-USB to USB-A cable with an older Dell computer (direct to a USB-A port) and it works properly.

So - Does the Dell adapter not transmit data? (Seems sort of dumb)

If so, what should I buy for an adapter that will allow the transmission of data?

Or is there another solution I’m not thinking of?

Thanks for any suggestions

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 14:00

I've used USB C adapter cable (not the Dell supplied you have) to update my Garmin without problems.  

If you have the Garmin software/driver installed I would try a different adapter.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 14:00

In many cases, devices such as that Garmin will need a serial port to transfer info.  Is there anything in the manual which might help explain?

August 17th, 2022 16:00

Gosh, haven’t seen a serial port in years.

the Garmin cable is USB, not serial, but thank you

August 17th, 2022 16:00

Thanks - Dell is puzzled by the whole thing (for example, my support contact did not recognize the adapter product, so is researching).

I have ordered a usb-a/usb-c data-capable cable; good idea

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 17th, 2022 22:00

Your response is inappropriate.  Serial connections are still around.  I have a scanner device which still uses them.  A USB connection being use as serial is not abnormal.

Does the Garmin device show in the Devices section.  It depends on what OS you are using and Win 11 has a different way of setting up those connections than Win 10.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2022 03:00

All the Garmin GPS units I've had in the last 20 years have been standard USB interface.

August 18th, 2022 13:00

Sorry you think it is an inappropriate response, but it’s a fact that I haven’t seen a serial port in years. Your experience is probably way more extensive than mine and so your experience probably differs.
I do appreciate your observation, though.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 19th, 2022 09:00

Because it is a USB cable does not mean it is not using a serial interface.

Would you give us the model number of the Garmin device?  And you do not show it in the Devices and printers section of the Control Panel?

And my experience is mostly from an earlier period, so you may be correct but my scanner which is about 5 years old does use a serial connection and how it works depends on how the scanner is powered up.  

I believe Win 11 ports are added a different way than the Win 10 ones were.  I used to have a Garmin many years ago but I don't remember anything about how it worked.  I just remember baud rate was fairly important.

Maybe the other cable will fix it for you.

No Events found!