Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2020 03:00

DELL XPS 13 7390 Camera opens but screen is black and video and pictures are not

Hi,

I am having problems with the Camera on my Dell XPS 13 7390.

I have just purchased a Dell XPS 13 7390, 5 days ago, 14th May 2020. When I open the Camera the application opens, the camera light comes on on the top Bezel, but the Camera application screen is Black/Blank. I can switch between the Camera and Video and it stays Black. 

It appears that the Camera is being recognised as the light is on and it doesn't report 'unable to locate camera'.  I have checked in all teh Privacy settings to ensure that it's made available to applications.  I have also tried the camera with Skype and it's still Blank.

It almost appears as though the Camera has a 'logical' Privacy cover over it ?

I checked in the Bios that the Camera is activated.

Please advise.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2021 13:00

Hi Paul,

My XPS was only a few days old.  Dell came out and replaced the screen lid which fixed the problem as it was a hardware failure.

Sean

5 Posts

July 8th, 2020 05:00

Hi Yes.  Dell instructed me to run diagnostics which indicated a screren hardware issue.

2 days later they sent out a new screen with engineer and replaced it, shich solved the issue.

Sean

7 Posts

July 8th, 2020 05:00

@SeanOLLY 

Are you able to solve your camera issue? Recently I've been using camera on my XPS 7390 a lot. Now it shows an all black screen (sometimes white) occasionally. I think it may be a hardware issue because it returns to normal when I press down slightly above the keyboard's top row. But the black screen comes back after a while.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2021 13:00

Hi,

I have a xps 13 7390  purchased 2 years ago and now I have the same issue with my webcam. I really don't know what to do for fixing it.

Would appreciate any help on this matter;

Thanks,

Paul

2 Posts

March 16th, 2021 21:00

I have the same issue. I purchased the laptop last November brand new from Dell. Due to the COVID issue, I was not able to set it up until early Feb 2021. Two weeks after I setup the laptop, we decided to do the Zoom meeting. The camera apps came up but the screen was black. I reached out to Dell and told them the camera did not work. They were through a bunch of test and determined it was the hardware and the whole screen had to be replaced. However they said my laptop has past the 30 days return period and they can only repair it. The problem is Dell is back order for the part and told me it would not be available until Mar 8 and they will contact me then. March 8 came and gone and no one contacted me from Dell. I call them back and go through the whole thing again. Then the guy told me the part is not available until Apr 1. He said he cannot promise me that they would have the part on Apr 1. I am getting a bit tried of this. Dell cannot pinpoint when they will have the replacement part. In the mean time, I cannot use my brand new XPS to communicate with other because the webcam does not work! Frustrating. 
They did offered me a refurbished unit but I refused. I told them they should have send me a new laptop because my laptop’s camera did not work from start. I sure hope the part will come in on Apr 1st.

• 

16.7K Posts

March 31st, 2021 10:00

Kkwok,

Apologies for the part delays.  Hopefully,  the part will be in and replaced by that time.

2 Posts

March 31st, 2021 10:00

The part was delayed again until Apr 26. Dell cannot tell me what is causing the delay. Frustrated. 

• 

25.1K Posts

April 26th, 2021 04:00

Hi ,

I'm Deepak, one of the Managers at Dell Social Media support. This is with regard to your recent interaction with my team.

I am checking to see if the issue you reported has been resolved to your satisfaction ?

Regards,

Deepak K

Team Manager

Dell Social Media Team

5 Posts

Hi All,

Dell Support Engineer intervened remotely few weeks ago and fixed it in very short time. Most likely this was due to a wrong driver installed.

Anyway, case is solved and my XPS retrieved its full power :-). Love it!

Thanks to Dell Support Team for the great support!

Regards,

Paul

5 Posts

Hi, 

I opened the original thread.  My issue was resolved withing 72 hours, was great service.

Sean

August 15th, 2022 06:00

I have an Dell XPS 17 and have the same problem. Any suggestions to a solution. Seems like it stopped working after an bios or windows update.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2022 07:00

Hi, My PC was brand new and never worked. Only noticed it after a couple of days. They cam out and completely replaced the screen so it was probbaly a Hardware fault.

Sean

No Events found!