Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2018 11:00

DELL XPS 15 9570 with WD15

Hi everyone,

I bought a few weeks ago my 9570 with an i7-8750H, 8GB RAM, 256GB, GTX 1050Ti and afterwards a WD15 docking station, the lid is open and configured as main display.
As a second screen I'm Using a DELL U2515H Monitor with a 2K resolution - connected via HDMI, a wireleless keyboard with USB receiver and a bluetooth mouse.

During the first run with the WD15 I became after a few minutes the BIOS warning that theres not enough power from the AC adapter.
After a short research I found out that I need a 180W AC and not the 130W which I used.

Today came my new AC adapter with the needed power and I installed everything on my XPS-setup.

The problem now is if I connect the WD15 with my notebook I'm becoming instantly a notification from Windows the 'Power Surge on the USB port' error message which says that an unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply and the fan runs nonstop.

I also noticed that if I boot the notebook and the WD15 is connected to the USB-C port that the Notebook makes a beep sound but it's not from BIOS it sounds more like coil whine.

I've tried the diagnostic tool from DELL and Windows Troubleshooter which only recommended a reboot.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me and is already familliar with this behavior.

Best regards

Alex

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2018 13:00

Make sure you have the latest versions of the following, and update them in the order below if needed:

- System BIOS
- Thunderbolt 3 driver/software
- System Thunderbolt 3 firmware (not part of the BIOS update)
- ASMedia USB xHCI host controller driver
- TB16 firmware (if you can get it to install without errors, although some are having problems at the moment.)

If you have trouble with the TB16 firmware as others seem to be, you might have to wait for Dell to issue a new version of the update or some update to one of the other components that will allow the firmware update to be pushed successfully.

And on an unrelated note, I really recommend against using "2K resolution", because it leads to confusion since some people use it incorrectly, as you did here.  Strictly speaking, "2K" refers to a film resolution of 2048x1080, because that's almost exactly 2000 pixels across (hence 2K), but in the consumer world it's occasionally used to refer to the consumer "presentation" of that film resolution, which is 1920x1080, aka Full HD or 1080p.  In a similar way, "4K" technically refers to a film resolution of 4096x2160, but in the consumer space it refers to the consumer presentation of 3840x2160, aka Ultra HD.  Your Dell U2515H's resolution is 2560x1440, which is correctly called QHD or 1440p.  The only reason I bring this up is because if you posted a thread saying, "I have a WD15 and can't get dual 2K displays working simultaneously", someone who knew the correct terminology and therefore interpreted that to mean you have dual 1080p displays might go down the wrong road trying to help you troubleshoot.  By comparison, if you said "I have a WD15 and can't get dual QHD/1440p displays working simultaneously", they would immediately be able to tell you that you can't run dual displays with that resolution off the WD15.

No Events found!