Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

29 Posts

August 11th, 2019 10:00

DELL XPS 9560 TPM not available

Hello, I think my TPM chip of my XPS 9560 is broken, cause it is not more available in the bios. I noticed something was wrong, after i had to enter my Bitlocker key everytime I started Windows 10 1903. After a format and a reinstall of my OS, i cannot enable bitlocker anymore and get the warning: "This device can't use a Trusted Platform Module. Your administrator must set the "Allow Bitlocker without a compatible TPM" option in the "Require additional authentication at startup" policy of OS volumes". I never had this warning before. I also noticed that the TPM option is no more availeble in my BIOS under "Security". The strange thing is, that this suddenly disappeared. I did not had a bios update or somithing. I tried to fixed it, by updating my bios from 1.15 to 1.16. But now during booting of my Laptop, i get a alert with: "Alert! TPM device is not detected". So to get rid of the warning I downgrade the bios back to 1.15. But still the TPM is not availeble. Does this mean my TPM chip is broken, or is Dell aware of this problem? If my TPM chip is broken, can the alert be disabled?

2 Posts

February 11th, 2020 11:00

... continued 

Bitlocker key found:

Browsing in Dell support I found a direct link to log to my Microsoft account with the bitlocker key there in place.

After successfully copying it, windows booted.

So far problem solved without any explanation why having to deal with it in first place.

@askDell

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

August 11th, 2019 11:00

What version of windows 10 do you have--Home, Pro or Enterprise? Did you reinstall the correct version? Home does not have bitlocker and comes on most new computers. Make sure you did not install that if you originally had Pro.

1 Message

August 12th, 2019 01:00

The TPM on my XPS 9560 disappeared a while back, maybe sometime last year. I forgot the exact details but I had problems with Bitlocker not finding the TPM and the TPM option had disappeared from the BIOS configuration menu.

I setup Bitlocker to use a password at startup instead of TPM and that has been working fine for me.

However this morning I upgraded the BIOS from 1.15.0 to 1.16.0 after being prompted by Support Assist but afterwards had the same BIOS message at start-up "Alert! TPM device is not detected".

I downgraded to 1.15.0 and the message has stopped.

I am not particularly concerned about the "loss" of the TPM, but I would like to now is there a way to disable the check to get rid of the message.

29 Posts

August 12th, 2019 16:00

Hi There,

If is setup bitlocker with a password, does this mean I have to enter the password, everytime I boot up my Windows?

29 Posts

August 12th, 2019 16:00

Hi there, I installed the pro version, created from the dell os recovery tool. So it is the correct one.

1 Message

August 14th, 2019 17:00

I'm having the same issue. I haven't found any solution beside rolling back. I created a case with Dell, but was closed due to my laptop is out of warranty and I'm overseas.

August 14th, 2019 18:00

I am having the same issue. I can not see TPM in my BIOS after updating my BIOS two days ago. Each time I restart my laptop, I get the same Alert Message: TPM is not available My laptop is a DELL XPS 9560

6 Posts

August 16th, 2019 18:00

Yup, same issue, now how do I downgrade the BIOS if I can’t boot? Thanks Dell.

August 17th, 2019 00:00

I have the same issue as well. 

My laptop is also a 9560 and the latest bios update prevented me from booting into Windows. 

I've set my laptop up with dual boot so it also has a Fedora OS on it that I can boot into and that worked fine under the new BIOS.  But ultimately I also had to downgrade my BIOS to 1.15.0 in order to boot back into Windows.

This is **bleep** poor from Dell!  They need to release a new BIOS with a hotfix for this issue ASAP!

1 Message

August 18th, 2019 22:00

Having same issue after BIOS update. The message "TPM not available" is displayed every time my computer wakes up from hibernation or Win10 restart. Very irritating, Dell... fix needed asap!

1 Message

August 21st, 2019 11:00

Same problem here! Please Help!

1 Message

August 23rd, 2019 22:00

Having same issue after BIOS update. Please fix ASAP!

21 Posts

August 24th, 2019 03:00

Same here but I "fixed" it. I'd upgraded the BIOS to 1.16 and started getting the same Alert message on booting. I remember when I ordered the laptop that I'd ordered it without a TPM because that was an optional extra I wasn't going to use. It just looks like the 1.16 BIOS is expecting a TPM to be present and displays that message if it's not found. My solution? Revert to the 1.15 BIOS! Message no longer comes up on booting. Reading up on this, if you're running Windows and run tpm.msc, it'll tell you whether or not you have a TPM present. Obviously Dell need to check if the TPM is present before displaying an alert message in the BIOS. A fix for 1.17? Time will tell

3 Posts

August 25th, 2019 20:00

Same issue here. How do I roll the driver back if I can’t boot into windows?

August 26th, 2019 02:00

Same here: message "No TPM device detected" displayed at boot after I updated my BIOS to v1.16.0. Tried a BIOS- and CMOS-reset but neither helped. The only workaround is to downgrade to v1.15.0. Then  the message disapears.

No Events found!