Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2020 02:00

DELL XPS 9570 intermittent ground loop noise

Hi, 

I am experiencing a very stressful behaviour of my laptop which is related to the audio card. 

From time to time, if I open a window or I start a program, or I simply scroll a page I get a ground loop noise for half a second. The level is quite high. 

Find attached a video in which I replicated the problem: 

https://youtu.be/_abrKYwYAAs

Best.

D.

25 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 02:00

Dear 'community', 

It seems I have finally solved, on my own, the issue with the audio card. The ground loop is related to the Windows power management.

So, since there is no way to disable it after the last Windows updates, we have to do it by regedit. 

The regedit class is the following: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

you have to locate the class registry key for 'RealTek Audio' in my case it is 0006 (you find it in 'DriverDesc' value = RealtekAudio)

go to the PowerSettings key and change the following values:

IdlePowerState = ff ff ff ff

PerformanceIdleTime = ff ff ff ff

and add a further binary key: 

PM_EAP_Mode = 03

Reboot the laptop and the problem should be solved. 

I hope it can help anyone who is experiencing the same frustrating issue.

In my opinion windows power management is the cause of a bunch of problems which mainly affect audio and network cards, but I suppose even other peripherals.

It is clear there is something which doesn't work with the drivers, and adding a stupid option to disable the power management  would be extremely easy, so I don't understand why DELL doesn't obligate the hardware productors to work on it, or to simply change productors to get the necessary 'quality' which we deserve, since we pay a lot of money for the brand, or just for it I am afraid.

We are practically alone coping with these issues. Thank you DELL. 

Best.

D.

• 

25K Posts

I’m Aishwarya, from the Dell Social Media team and I will be assisting you with this. I understand there is an issue with the bluescreen error and noise issue. Please be assured that I will look into this and help you with the best available options to have this resolved for you at the earliest.

Before we proceed, I have a couple of questions to understand the issue better:

1. How long have you been facing the issue?

2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system?

3. Did you notice any Windows update that took place recently?

25 Posts

Hi,

thanks for the assistance.

I forgot to write that I have external speakers, but I remeber that before the last massive Windows update I did not have this problem. 

Best.

D.

25 Posts

November 17th, 2020 00:00

Hi everyone, 

unfortunately I am still experiencing the problem above.

I performed a long hardware diagnostics test from the bios and the report is theoretically good.

Any suggestion? 

Best.
D.

25 Posts

November 17th, 2020 06:00

I wish to specify that if I connect the speakers to any other laptop, for example a 500,00 euros Lenovo, they work perfeclty. 

I wish to remind DELL that I paid my Dell XPS 9570 about 3.000,00 euros. Well done DELL. 

Best.

D.

25 Posts

November 17th, 2020 23:00

Hi folks, 

is there anyone who gets my same problem connecting a couple of amplified speakers to the laptop?

Thanks. 

Best.

D.

25 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 00:00

Hi 'community', 

is there anyone of you who is experiencing such a problem with a couple of external speakers connected to the laptop? 

I can't believe I am the only one. Let me know please I have to understand if it is a common issue with Dell XPS 9570.

Thank you so much for your help. 

Best. 

D. 

13 Posts

November 8th, 2022 13:00

@damianop  Hello, thanks for this solution. It works!
May i ask you please? What is the PM_EAP_Mode = 03 binary?

Thanks

No Events found!