Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

November 13th, 2020 09:00

Dell 130 Watt power suppy not recognized, only maintaining

New XPS 15 fails to recognize OEM Dell 130 Watt adapter that came with the laptop. Dell Power Manager pops up with "not recognized - attach a supported power adapter with at least 130 watts."

The PS delivers enough power to maintain operation and battery charge - it's just not recognized as 130 Watt, so no charging. Another old Dell 90 Watt charger does charge up the system (with a plug adapter) and the system does not complain.

Cleaned all plugs, and center pin looks good. Is this a bad PS adapter, bad socket, or a device driver/BIOS issue? Dell support is unreachable. Please help.

November 13th, 2020 10:00

1. No, "Dell_Cares", Dell does not care. If Dell Cared, Dell would answer with a human being - not a "Virtual Assistant".

2. You know my Service Tag Number - I'm logged in. You keep asking for it. Then you cut me off.

3. It's not a "Community" - it's a message board. You post questions, you might get someone other than Dell to answer.

4. We don't need no stinkin' badges. We need answers!

November 19th, 2020 08:00

It's not a bug - it's a feature. Dell wants you to buy only Dell chargers, so they can make more money. Dell has designed the center pin of their power cable to identify a Dell charger, or else reject it.

If Dell's BIOS does not sense the center pin properly, even if it is a Dell charger, you can only maintain charge - not increase charge. The charger is working except the Dell BIOS sometimes does not detect Dell's own center pin.

This is greedy and dishonest at best Dell ought to provide lifetime replacement for Dell chargers that fail to ID as Dell units.

No Events found!