Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2019 01:00

Dell OS Recovery Tool not working

Small situation sketch.

I have a Dell Precision 5510 I've been using for work for the past 3 years. I am in the process of buying it from my boss since I got a new one (yay!).

Now the situation arises that I want to completely clean install the device since the Windows installation that is on there is an enterprise edition and I do not want the device tied to the company anymore. My go-to idea is/was the Dell OS recovery tool, to fetch the installation that was OEM for the device.

I am hoping it's possible to get windows 10 on there (the license sticker says Win7). What I am experiencing now is that the Dell recovery tool gives me an error that it cannot connect to the backend.

Can anyone help me?

Edit: I know several topics were already opened about this issue, and each time resolved.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 10th, 2019 04:00

Hi all, 

That would suggest there is a fault with the website. Have you tried it again since you last posted?

If not, I would leave it for a few hours to allow for a fix and then try again.

If it's really urgent and you need to create recovery media you could try using the Microsoft media creation tool instead.

Alan

1 Message

May 10th, 2019 03:00

I have the same problem......

3 Posts

May 10th, 2019 04:00

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried again but no success.

I'll leave it be for a while and hope it comes up again :)

Kind regards,

Jan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 13th, 2019 06:00

@j.wilms wrote:

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried again but no success.

I'll leave it be for a while and hope it comes up again :)

Kind regards,

Jan

Is it back up and running now?

Alan

3 Posts

May 13th, 2019 06:00

Hey Alan!

thanks for re-checking.

It was up on Saturday and I have a freshly installed device now!

Thanks again for the help!

Jan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 14th, 2019 06:00

That's good to hear. Glad you got your system back up and running.

Alan

July 3rd, 2019 21:00

When I purchased my DELL XPS 8930 last year (Win10-64), I created a USB thumb/Flashdrive and had the recovery of Windows put on the USB thumbdrive for recovery when I need to Repair or Reinstall Windows 10.  I tried putting the thumbdrive in different ports with the same result. It doesn't recognize the backup on the drive. I tried F12 tapping and choosing Repair, but it can't find the drive. Ironically in Windows 10 now, I can click on that E: drive and see the files backed up. Perhaps I have the procedure wrong, but I'd like to know how to get to the recovery file on the drive or steps to restore or repair with the Thumbdrive. I'd like to see if Windows 10 refreshing it can help me recover from m dell's windows 10 Bluetooth not recognizing my headset. thanks. Repost me at:

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

July 5th, 2019 00:00

@JerryttMon wrote:

When I purchased my DELL XPS 8930 last year (Win10-64), I created a USB thumb/Flashdrive and had the recovery of Windows put on the USB thumbdrive for recovery when I need to Repair or Reinstall Windows 10.  I tried putting the thumbdrive in different ports with the same result. It doesn't recognize the backup on the drive. I tried F12 tapping and choosing Repair, but it can't find the drive. Ironically in Windows 10 now, I can click on that E: drive and see the files backed up. Perhaps I have the procedure wrong, but I'd like to know how to get to the recovery file on the drive or steps to restore or repair with the Thumbdrive. I'd like to see if Windows 10 refreshing it can help me recover from m dell's windows 10 Bluetooth not recognizing my headset. thanks. Repost me at:

@JerryttMon the following articles explain how to create the media and then how to carry out a Windows refresh

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows?lang=en
https://www.dell.com/support/article/ed/en/edbsdt1/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en#Refresh

Can you provide more detail about the issue you are having with the bluetooth headset - 
a) What model of bluetooth headset are you trying to pair with the system?
b) Has the bluetooth headset previously paired with the desktop?
c) Does the headset successfully pair with another device i.e your mobile phone or tablet?
d) Have you changed anything recently on the desktop that may have caused the bluetooth to stop pairing?

Alan

October 9th, 2019 11:00

I have a problem with the OS recovery tool.

When I give my service tag for my brand new XPS 15 7590 it gives a message that it will try to find the best recovery option. Then it only show destination, but no message about OS version it tries to do, if I then click on download, it ony tries to download 32kb and gives a message that the image is corrupt and cannot continue. 

This is a bummer, cause if I use the windows recovery tool and reinstall the laptop I keep on getting blue screens. I do have screenshots, but unable to post them here

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2019 03:00

@wolfsdream thanks for getting in touch about this. That's strange that the system wouldn't return a recovery image option.

a) What browser were you using to access the support site?
b) If you try again do you still get the same problem?
c) If you try a different browser on the system do you still get the same problem?

Are you getting bluescreens as a result of trying to reinstall Windows or are you trying to reinstall Windows to address bluescreen issues?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

October 11th, 2019 07:00

@Dell-Alan Dthank for getting back to me.

The error is not related to the browser, as Dell OS recovery tool is an executable. I have tried the tool on multiple PC from diferent location. And yes the problem is still existing, just tried now. 

The blue screen is when I install a fresh windows 10 pro version and installing the drivers from the Dell support site for this model.  

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 14th, 2019 04:00

@wolfsdream does the system allow you to create the full recovery media?

Did you follow the instructions on how to create the recovery media? - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln299044/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows?lang=en

You have mentioned that the system bluescreens when you install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and also when installing the drivers - does it bluescreen during two separate parts of the process?

Can you provide the exact bluescreen stop code you are receiving.

What caused you to reinstall Windows in the first place?

Alan

1 Message

November 6th, 2019 09:00

I got the Reset Failed message as well . I followed the guide on OS recovery.

Scan the laptop first to make sure the Reset Failed eror is not on the laptop hardware itself.

I also used another thumb drive and same error came up. Help.

laptop is Dell Lattitude 5480

It has win8.1 - up blowing it up and install win10 since its available after entering the service tag.

5.6K Posts

November 6th, 2019 09:00

Boot into Windows 8.1

Insert USB flash drive created by Media Creation Tool.

Double-click setup.exe 

Upgrade to Windows 10

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 7th, 2019 03:00

@noelt720 what is the exact error message you received?

Are you trying to repair the OS using the inbuilt tools or USB recovery media?

Have you ran the diagnostics on the system to check for any hardware errors (To run the ePSA diags, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)?

What OS was the system originally shipped with?

How did you create the OS recovery media - the Dell tool or Microsoft tool?

Alan

No Events found!