Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

3 Posts

June 20th, 2019 09:00

Dell Precision 5530 i9 + WD19 TB dock + 2 Displayports = screen flickering

Hi !

I have an issue with my WD19TB dock connected to my new Dell Precision 5530 (i9 version).
Of course this dock is connected to the laptop with a single USB-C TB cable. Two HP LP2475w screens (1080p 60Hz) are plugged to the dock using DisplayPort.

When both screens are connected, I randomly get some flickering on the screen (image vibrate, quick black image ...) and this appears randomly on one screen, the other, or both, and this is completely unpredictable.

I already:

- updated my laptop firmware to latest version

- updated display drivers (intel + nvidia) to the latest available on Dell support website

- update Thunderbolt controller drivers to the latest versions.

I tested with many Displayport cables: long, short, also brand new.

I tested both screen on a Lenovo dock, they are working fine.
I also tested both screen connected on WD19TB with Displayport to HDMI adapters and HDMI cables: no issue at all !

As soon as I plug back my screens with a Displayport cable this issue starts again :(

As WD19TB is quite recent, do any user already reported some malfunction with Displayport ? I have checked, no firmware update is available yet for this dock.

Please advice, it's hard to work with such flickering effect all day long !

Regards,
Guillaume

2 Posts

July 19th, 2019 11:00

I am having exactly the same issue and followed the instructions as in https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln317029/driver-installation-guide-for-dell-thunderbolt-docking-station-wd19tb?lang=en I see other forums with similar issues, but with different laptops and dock stations, and I followed those steps as well with no luck.

We really need someone from Dell to step up on this and provide a clear answer and fix.

thanks,

2 Posts

October 4th, 2019 15:00

I've got what appears to be the same issue 5540 + WD19TB dock + 2 displayport monitors (HP ZR30w) and intermittent display flickering.

Dell kindly replaced the motherboard and dock, but the problem is still here. This is so frustrating as my old Dell Laptop Latitude 7470 and its dock work perfectly and my office wants to me to switch over the the new 5540.

I've updated drivers, tried swapping cables, tried one monitor at a time, - the picture is wonderful when its not flashing like crazy.

I have a couple thousand dollars invested in these 2560x1600 60hz monitors. I do not know what to do.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2019 19:00

Shout out to Dell Pro support - they were helpful in their attempt at trying to resolve this issue by replacing mainboard on laptop and sending a new dock out. Neither did anything to address the issue. 

I bought a third party adapter by Plugable and it worked immediately at a fraction of the cost. And it just worked - bam! I've probably spend 10 hours monkeying with the WD19tb - would not recommend this unit if you have displayport monitors period until this issue is clearly addressed. 

Precision 5540, WD19TB, HP ZR30W = flashing display

October 11th, 2019 13:00

Hi sarvis38,

So you were able to get a WD19TB dock to work with an HP ZR30W monitor?  We have the same monitor for a user and he wants to be able to use it.  If you did get it working, what adapter from Plugable did you buy?

Thanks in advance!

-Christian

2 Posts

December 4th, 2019 09:00

Apparently this is an issue with HP monitors, I noticed the other replies were all using HP.  I ran into the same issue, flickering on DisplayPort using Dell Precision 5540, HP LP2475w monitors, WD19TB dock.  

I came up with a workaround because my monitors also have HDMI inputs.  I set up one monitor using the WD19TB HDMI output.  The second monitor I connected a USB-C to HDMI converter to the WD19TB Thunderbolt port, then used an HDMI cable to the monitor.   It didn't work with the USB-C ports, look for the Thunderbolt symbol on the WD19TB.  The converter is a Dell DA300, which I happened to have but cost $80-100.   I bet that other cheaper Thunderbolt compatible USB-C to HDMI converters would work ($10-20).

The second workaround which I'm sure you won't like is to use a different monitor.  Obviously you don't want to spend more money, then keep buying and returning monitors until one works. The one data point that I have is: a guy at work has this setup using Dell U2718Q monitors with no flickering issues using DisplayPort outputs. 

I'm guessing, but don't think that Dell tested their dock using any HP monitors...

2 Posts

December 5th, 2019 11:00

I have another workaround if two monitors have an HDMI input.  Connect the first monitor to HDMI.  Connect the second monitor using a DisplayPort to HDMI converter to a DisplayPort output of the WD19TB, then use an HDMI cable to connect to the HDMI input of the monitor.  There was no flickering with this setup.  The converter I used was "BENFEI DisplayPort to HDMI, Gold-Plated DP Display Port to HDMI Adapter (Male to Female)", which you can find online for <$8.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

June 17th, 2021 04:00

Hello Community,

i solved my flickering problem by changing "Hz" in Advanced Display Settings.

First i set all monitors to same solution 1920 x 1080 after this set all monitors in Advanced Display Settings to 60 Hz, some monitors dont show 60hz so change to the next monitor and set there 60hz after this you switch back to previous monitor an should see 60hz too. Dont use "verschachtelt" in German (Nested/encapsulated) this caused my flickering.

Picture from Advanced Display Settings:
https://ibb.co/ccCHP37

Flickering Video:
https://streamable.com/l5lm9x

My Hardware:
Dell WD19TB without Thunderbold
2x Dell P2720D both with DP 1.4

Best regards Götterfleisch

1 Message

June 25th, 2021 16:00

The hz Setting also worked for me! I have 2 viewsonic 4k monitors and the new one flickered until I set them both as described! Thank you!

20 Posts

July 24th, 2021 14:00

Tried all the same steps. All drivers and bios update on computer and dock. Had the same problem with my Dell TB16 thunderbolt dock and now on the WD19TB. When using the Displayport connectors for both docks on the Dell 3415 monitors blinking and flashing. Dell Thunderbolt Ports have a recurring issues with this problem. Now on the TB16 and the new WD19TB. Read on several posts that 3rd party Thunderbolt Docks don't have these issues. Spent endless hours on this with Dell support on the TB 16 and same issue with the WD19TB

20 Posts

August 8th, 2021 18:00

I have had a blinking multiple monitor (2) issue with Dell Thunderbolt docks (TB16 and WD19TB) for 4 years and Dell could never solve it.

I have a Precision 5510 laptop with both Intel and Nvidia grahics cards 32GB memory, 2 SSD drives and a Xeon processor.  I had it customized for the processing demands of Autocad, Ever since I started using Dell Thunderbolt Docks about 4 years ago I have had problems with my 2 Dell U3415W monitors blinking intermittemently. They would blink a couple times every hour but during certain intensive processor workloads they would blink at a slightly higher rate. I have literally spent at least 100 hours through the 4 year period using Pro-Support to try and get the problem resolved. They recommended updating the Dock firmware, using Support Assist and Dell Command Update. I also updated the Nvidia Drivers as well as the Intel Graphics drivers to the latest versions. Every Thunderbolt related driver was updated. There was not a single driver for the computer that was not up to date. I went through every Bios setting and made sure that all Thuderbolt related options were all on and that there was no security needed for Thunderbolt. I also replaced all my monitor cables and tried different refresh rates and every cable combination possible. IE HDMI, Displayport, USB-C to Displayport etc. After many months of trying to get Dell to troubleshoot the TB16 I was told it only had a 1 year warranty and there was nothing they could do other than suggest I buy a new dock. I then updated the Dock from the TB16 with a 240 watt power supply to the newer WD19TB. I was also motivated to replace the TB16 as it was causing BSOD DMA Driver Violations due to it not being able to store the current version of 2 NVM drivers.The WD19TB was actually worse and caused more blinking of the monitors to the point of where my work was constanly being interrupted. I  got Pro-Support on the phone and they swapped out the WD19TB with a refurbished unit and the issue was the same. Finally they replaced the motherboard due to the Dell on-site tech seeing that the USB C type dock connector on the laptop looked worn out and loose. But the same day the problem returned. I recently spent hours and hours of time on the phone with various Dell Tech support agents. I was told to refresh/reinstall Windows 10 Pro as it might be driver corruption, run SFC Scannow, trouble shoot the Bios, install a fresh version of Windows 10  etc etc etc. The last suggested solution is to replace the Dock again or send the Laptop into Dell for diagnosis which would take a least a week (I run my business on my laptop).

I have a Dell XPS-13 and noticed that when I would connect it to the docking USB-C cable that it would work fine with no blinking monitor issue. I read several articles on companies websites that manufacture 3rd party Thunderbolt Docks that there are many comments about issues with Dell Thunderbolt docks and the blinking monitor issue that do not seem to occur when Dell customers replace the Dell docks with the 3rd party Docks. 

I realized that the XPS 13 has less of a power draw than the Precision laptop. I also noticed that when I was doing more processor intensive tasks the monitors would blink at a more frequent rate. It seemed that the Dell WD19TB (got the largest power supply) was not supplying enough power through the Dock USB-C connector to the laptop when the laptop itself was consuming more power and thus connected devices or the hub did not have enough power and the monitors starting to blink and I also could see various device drivers disconnect and reconnect in Device manager. So I took out the power supply for the Precsion Laptop and hooked it up to the laptop (while leaving the Dock connected and powered) and Voila it fixed the issue no more blinking monitors. I am amazed that after years of posts about their Thunderbolt docks and monitor blinking issues with different laptop models and different dock model combinations that Dell has never figured out that their dock is not supplying enough power to the laptop when the laptop is consuming more power (I realize this might apply to only larger more power hungry laptops). Although it defeats a big selling feature of the dock by having to connect the laptops external power supply...it fixed the issue for me. So it might be worth a try as the dock seems to not supply enough power to the laptop on its own, at least with a Precision laptop.

5 Posts

September 5th, 2021 07:00

I am having the same issue with WD19TBS!
It is connected via the HDMI port to a DELL P3421W monitor and via one of the DisplayPorts to a LG 27UN83A [HDR 4K] monitor. 
The only solution so far that works is unplugging the DisplayPort from the Docking Stations output port and then plugging it back in again - doing the same thing on the monitor does not improve the flickering and short black screens. Since I have the WD19 attached to the back of my P3421W (with a Dell Docking Station Mounting Kit) this is a more than annoying situation - having to reach around every time and fiddle around wit the cables.

No Events found!