Re: Dell TB16 - Loud Fan

Hi there,

Thanks for that. I will try what you suggested and report back.

I purchased this doc pre-owned. When I was having the issues support couldn't find the service tag on the system and asked to get the sales invoice. I requested this from the seller and he said that he no longer had it so I wasn't able to get it looked at while it was under warranty and have had to live with it since.

The power block is the 240w model.

I was hoping it was a software thing but perhaps it is by design.

I will try what you have suggested and see if that eliminates the fan spinning up loudly.

Cheers,

Mac

0 Kudos

You are welcome. I am afraid, docking stations have a limited 1-year warranty. Since there is no valid purchase invoice copy my options will be limited.

Please try updating the dock firmware from this link

Note – Make sure that your system has the latest BIOS version before updating the dock firmware. 

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
JaroslavJ
1 Copper

I have the same problem. TB16 240w with precission 5530. Brand new. Fun in Dock is running all the time even when there is no load from the computer.

I just bough dell beacause of silent 5530. I am pretty tired of solving same problems with noise on pcs (after havin HP, Fujitsu...). Please, pc developers, hire somebody from apple to make good hardware. 5530 is anice copy of macbook, you are almost there :-D But the fun on TB16 is frustrating.

Thank you.

TheGeneralP
1 Copper

My fan used to shut off as soon as I put the computer into Sleep, until I updated the firmware with the "Dell Firmware Update Utility | Doc." Wish I could undo that step.

I was trying to fix a BSOD issue that I thought might be dock-related, but eventually turn out to be a bad SATA driver.

Now to only way to shut off the fan is to Sleep the laptop and cycle the power on the dock. Once I plug in the laptop, the dock fan runs forever - even after I sleep the laptop.

0 Kudos
NicoNine
1 Nickel

Can we get any fix from Dell about this? I have seen so many post of fans running at low temps as soon as you connect TB 15 or WD 16 docks. No good answer from Dell anywhere and it's not a individual computer problem, its something with Dell software/bios. 

My temps are 39C and fans still running at low speed on my XPS 9570.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the update @Dell-SreejithR. Unfortunately nothing has change.

I've two TB16 (+latitude 7480) and both of them act the same (even with the latest upgrade) - after some time a fan starts cooling and never stops by itself. At home I had to move to the WD15 - no fan, no noise - 

Here is the TB16 label:

20190315_130307.jpg

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos

Also, on one of devices the upgrade utility fails:

TB16_upgrade1.pngTB16_upgrade2.png

How can I provide you more info/data or check what is wrong?

The second device upgrades with no errors.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos