Start a Conversation

Unsolved

KP

9 Posts

July 19th, 2020 18:00

Dell WD19 Docking Station with 180W randomly disconnects XPS 15 9570

Hi there,

I have a WD19 Docking Station that randomly disconnects from my XPS 15 9570 when there is a slight movement to the USB-C connector of the docking station. It takes a bit of time to fiddle with the connector to get the XPS to recognize the docking station again. It is strange that the USB-C connection can be so sensitive, when the connection is good everything is recognized (e.g. External Keyboard & Mouse can be used) but once the connector/cable is tilted or moved suddenly the XPS does not recognize the docking station anymore and from the device manager we can see "Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" error. As shown below the firmware is up to date, I have also updated my Dell XPS to the latest BIOS version 1.16.2. What can be the reason for this random disconnection? Should I get a replacement docking station?

WD19_Firmware_status_200720.jpg

DellXPS_BIOS_status.jpg

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 19th, 2020 18:00

@Keith Poon  I've noticed on a couple of laptops that connections from any USB-C power source/cable can become finicky, and it seems to be that the connector on the system itself is no longer as tight as it should be, since those power sources/cables/devices all work fine in other laptops and exhibit noticeably less wiggle when plugged into those other laptops compared to the problem cases.  Maybe the metal surround on that connector isn't as strong as it needed to be for long-term endurance.  If that's the case in your setup, then unfortunately there isn't an easy solution there because the USB-C connector would be part of the entire motherboard.  But if you haven't already, I'd at least try another USB-C cable to see if it exhibits the same problem with your system in order to isolate variables between the dock and system.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 19th, 2020 19:00

@Keith Poon  I wasn't suggesting replacing the cable attached to the dock, but rather just trying a different cable with some other device, or even just plugging in a cable even if it isn't attached to another device just to see how much "wiggle room" it has in your system compared to when that same cable is attached to some other system.  But if you're getting a stable connection when using that dock with 2 other systems, then unfortunately it doesn't sound like the dock or its cable is the issue, in which case a replacement dock is unlikely to solve anything.

July 19th, 2020 19:00

Hi jphughan,

I wished I can change the USB-C cable easily but this cable is the default cable that comes with the docking station. To replace the cable & connector means to remove the entire cable starting from within the docking station module. Strangely, when i use this docking station with any other laptop there are no problems. Tried with 2 other Lenovo laptops and both didn't complain of connectivity issue, it is an instant connection and recognition of the device plus no dropouts in connectivity. I have already replaced the motherboard on the XPS last week, prior to replacing the motherboard I totally could not get connection.

July 20th, 2020 05:00

I have tried using a logitech webcam with USB-C cable on the same USB-C port and it works flawlessly all the time. There are no complaints on not recognizing the webcam. I do feel that the connection of the logitech USB-C connector is more firm than the one offered by the Dell WD19 docking station but why when connecting to other laptops there are no problems. Anyway, for the time being, I just try to connect and disconnect the USB-C connector of this docking station a few times until it doesn't complain the USB device not recognized issue.

March 16th, 2021 05:00

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you face the same issue. I have been experiencing the same fault off and on but it is less frequent these days after some firmware and BIOS updates since I posted the problem. There is no real follow-up or a final solution to this thread. I found that cleaning the USB-C connector head with electronic cleaning solvent from time to time does help with the connectivity that the fault or random disconnection will happen less. Not sure if there will be any further updates as I presume there is not enough volume of customers who has purchased this docking station and experiencing the random disconnection.

March 16th, 2021 05:00

Hello, I have same issue. Be it I can not always reproduce the fault, some days I have the issue, others I don't. Was there a follow-up or a solution to this thread? Thank you. 

March 17th, 2021 03:00

Thank you Keith. As a result of my post, Dell support has contacted me through private messages, asking to check for latest updates etc, which I have done prior to raising this. In parallel I had already contacted DELL support to raise this, but doesn't look like this is a documented issue, so will be trial and error. It is weird to see that sometimes the fault is easy to reproduce, sometimes it is hard. Not clear if it is an issue of the docking or of the PC. The cable and connector from the docking seem good quality, but the connection into the pc is less firm then you would expect. So seems you have given up on the issue and/or it got less frequent, and/or you have learned to live with it...

March 17th, 2021 07:00

Hi MJM,

Indeed you are right, I have more or less given up on the issue as I have changed my XPS 15 9570 motherboard and also replaced the WD19 Docking Station but the problem can still pop up randomly. I believe the problem can only be solved if the USB-C slot or socket on the Dell XPS is changed or improved, else this intermittent problem cannot be fixed permanently. How I came to this conclusion is because I tried to plug the USB-C connector from the docking station into other laptops (e.g. HP or Lenovo) and I found that the connection is more firm and even with slight bend or tilt to the connector there is no disconnection, which means the design of the internal connection of the USB-C within the Dell XPS is slighly different from other vendors. Since you have contacted Dell support and they will be assisting you to troubleshoot this issue, please update your findings if it is possible to completely eliminate the random disconnections. Thank you.

April 28th, 2021 06:00

Hi,

I'm having the exact same issue with the same hardware: XPS 15 9570 and WD19 TBS (Thunderbolt) docking station.

Very frustrating given that I trusted Dell in providing high quality equipment.

I hope that they can provide a solution to all of us.

Gabriel

2 Posts

August 31st, 2022 10:00

Same here. I tried several configurations, to a point where I had a single device plugged into WD19TBS (to make sure it wasn't a power drain issue, replaced the 180W Power Supply, Made a bench with the equipment somewhere else to see if it wasn't a magnetic field too strong around. Shuffled everything, untangled the wires... no changes whatsoever. I could not find a pattern. Dell please help! How come I have a laptop (G5-5590), and I walk through the mall and see: "DELL" Thunderbolt 4k 60Hz etc FROM THE SAME BRAND and... c'mon, despite the price I can't go wrong. And now this

I heard from another forum (can't find the link), that the official reply from dell is that the "G-Series is made for gaming" and the dock is "business".

I don't know what else to say. Imagine if this was from Apple, for instance. Surreal

P.S. To be fair, cleaning the connectors "seems to help", but it is totally empirical. Strangely, the USB-C WD16 (not thunderbolt) works out fine (except 4K@60Hz), and the WD19TBS also works fine (like... months) on a HP 850 G6

1 Message

March 4th, 2023 11:00

Hello Dell Support team, 

Can you guys look into this matter with Dell WD19 USB Type-C. This product has serious problem. No matter we use the bluetooth or wired key board or mouse, the problem persists still. We are in February 2023 and the problem was raised 07-19-2020. Today, the problem has not been fixed, even though you know the product has a problem. Please provide detail solution to resolve this issue. It's really frustrating, specially when you have a user community and no proper response from Dell support team at all. 

No Events found!