Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 4th, 2018 05:00

Dell XPS 12 9Q33 BIOS Update from A08 to A09 is hanging

Hi,

I started the update from BIOS A08 to A09 on our Dell XPS 12 9Q33 several hours ago. The update has been hanging for several hours now – the command prompt window for the Firmware Utility is visible, Windows is working (the system clock in the right-hand tray is working), but keyboard, touchpad and touchscreen are all completely unresponsive. After browsing old threads, I tried to power the machine down by sliding the power switch forward and holding it for about a minute, but the laptop would not power down. How can I proceed in order to ensure a successful BIOS update and not "brick" my machine? Thanks in advance!

15 Posts

May 4th, 2018 05:00

Problem solved: over on the German forum, I was told to either remove all external devices if I hadn't done so already (I had), or alternatively plug in e.g. an external keyboard or mouse. I did the latter, the update continued, and I now have BIOS A09 on our machine (checked in msinfo32).

5 Posts

October 17th, 2018 21:00

Same problem here with the Bios Update Software Freezing (not responding) after it opens the prompt window.

Here, I also lost the control over keyboard and touchpad, but since I use external mouse and keyboard, the external devices were not affected.

The real problem here is that the AFUWINGUI Software version 1.05 is frozen!

When I force it to close and try to install again, it freezes again! But now, instead of showing Bios A8 upgrading to A9, it shows Bios A9 being Upgraded to A9!!! But that's not possible! It must be corrupted! The prompt didn't show any progress (no steps were carried out in it), and most important, the AFUWINGUI software didn't go through the step PROGRAM, where it was supposed to flash the new Bios!

Now, I'm afraid to restart my laptop and lose everything in it! The Bios was not correctly and completely upgraded. Why is it saying the A9 version is installed here?!

Again, AFUWINGUI is frozen!

Terrible job by Dell, AGAIN, in the update files for the XPS 12. A new problem everyday!

November 23rd, 2018 22:00

I have the same model (DELL XPS 12 9Q33, Core i7) the same problem (trying to update BIOS from A08 to A09, launching the updater 9Q33_A09.exe and the system totally hangs after a few seconds of allowing it to make chenges to Windows 10), and this solution didn't work: first I tried launching 9Q33_A09.exe with USB HDD plugged in, then with no USB devices plugged in (several times), then with USB mouse plugged in before launching 9Q33_A09.exe and after launching 9Q33_A09.exe. The result is always the same: the laptop totally hangs, only the cooler fan spins. The windows clock in the system tray doesn't advance, and if I plug in the external mouse after the laptop hangs, the mouse doesn't get recognized and activated -- the laser light doesn't turn on.

DELL, can you please help with this? You recommended this update, and I understand that it's required as it deals with Intel Meltdown etc problems. How can I update my BIOS?

No Events found!