Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

4 Posts

April 14th, 2020 19:00

Dell XPS 12 9q23 battery wont charge

Hello i've been getting the run around with my laptop with my battery not charging. i've replaced the battery, the A/C port in my PC and i've also purchased a new A/C power supply. i'm positive all the replacement i've done are for my PC. i'm thinking it is a software issue and not sure where to go from here. i tried updating the BIOS and to be honest its the first time i've ever messed with it. so i think it HAS to do with the software rather than the hardware. if anyone could help me out i would be GREATLY appreciative

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

April 15th, 2020 03:00

Does the system recognize the AC adapter, or does it show "unknown"?

F2 at power to check.

If the AC adapter is unknown, the battery won't charge.

Other check:  if it's software, the system WILL charge when powered off, but not when running.

In either case (unrecognized AC adapter or not charging powered off), you've eliminated all possibilities other than a faulty system board.

4 Posts

April 15th, 2020 13:00

Thankyou for helping first off and i hit F2 on bootup and it does recognize the adapter. when my PC boots up the charging icon on the task bar shows its charging, but then the charging bar goes to just a plugged in icon. when i click on the batery icon it just says plugged in. i am going to shut off my PC and see if it charges while its off. ill get back to you in a bit.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

April 16th, 2020 04:00

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter? When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system? Could you test with another power adapter if possible? 

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possible pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

No Events found!