Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2020 05:00

Dell XPS 13 7390 usb port stopped working

The charging port stopped working all of a sudden. Just purchased this laptop.

I noticed that in device manager, there is an error with code 43 "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

The steps I have taken so far

1. Restarted the laptop

2. Shut down the laptop and powered after few mins

3. Windows system restore

4. BIOS downgrade from 1.6 to 1.5

Nothing seems to work,

Is this a windows issue? Help!

Capture ZZ.PNG

2 Posts

September 1st, 2020 02:00

I shut down the machine (not restart) and switched it on after a day, it started working again miraculously. 

• 

25K Posts

August 26th, 2020 05:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 26th, 2020 06:00

It looks like a hardware issue with the thunderbolt port.  If the system is less than 30 days from shipment, your best course of action is to contact Dell to have the system replaced under your 30 day satisfaction guarantee.  If it's older than that, contact Dell to have the mainboard replaced under warranty.

• 

25K Posts

September 1st, 2020 03:00

I'm glad that the system is working.

Please observe your system and let us know if any further concern. 

September 21st, 2020 12:00

Apparently DELL does not a clue how to fix it.

I have called technical support several times regardless of this issue nobody was able to fix this problem and on top of it, they couldn't even inform how long would take for me to get the computer replaced.

Very frustrating put that amount of money in a laptop that doesn't work, and I only have it for 2 weeks. XPS laptops were good once, but now I don't know what DELL did to it, but it doesn't worth the money.

If you have a similar problem and have the computer for less than 30 days, my advice is return it as soon as possible and buy another brand.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2020 07:00

I've had this PC since March and this happens to me about every other week.  I'm about done with this PC and am strongly regretting my switch to Windows OS after a decade with Apple.  Really want to return this computer because it's far more trouble than it's worth.  If anyone comes up with a permanent solution, please respond because I frequently lose USB connectivity which greatly interferes with my work from home constraints.

1 Message

April 24th, 2021 21:00

I have the same exact problem with XPS 7390.. tried all solutions mentioned above, none worked!
Someone please help!

5 Posts

June 14th, 2021 18:00

Couldn't agree more. Some toys are more durable and reliable than this machine. Not worth its price AT ALL!! Very disappointed

34 Posts

August 16th, 2021 10:00

same here, very disappointed with this machine and dell support in general .

Too bad that those XPS are supposedly the high end series and yet contain so much problems and instabilities . Those are around 1,500 - 2,000 $ machine ! 

I have XPS 13 7390 since December 2019 and have not spend a week without having an issue where I would like to throw it by the window. 

Here are some of my recurring problems:

- enormous power drain overnight 

- sleep mode are erratic ( and seem to cause problem above) 

- tend to overheat ( have to undervolt CPU )

- poor wifi speed

- recurring problem with USB3 thunderbolt

- fingerprint logon does work once in a while

- probably more that I can remember here.

I have probably fixed most my self  with solutions found on internet and had to edit many times the registry to get some very important features back 

And the worst for me, is that never a DELL engineer has provided a correct solution in any case , they would just ask for service tag, reboot, re install  and that s it . Not willing to understand the underlying problem or escalate to higher level to fix it in future release . They will just keep selling this fancy half-broken XPS to the next naïve customer .

34 Posts

August 16th, 2021 10:00

well , this is not a solution ! Does DELL consider it as a fix for real ?

November 1st, 2021 08:00

@DELL-Cares I have the same issue. Is there any working solutions for this now?

1 Message

December 14th, 2021 19:00

Mine had the same issue, Dell replaced motherboard under warranty. That fixed the problem.

1 Message

February 12th, 2022 01:00

I have this problem currently too - XPS 13 7390. Suddenly the USB port stopped working. I have tried all the support options and have had @DELL-(doesn't)Care on the line but just like you guys the support was generic and pretty useless. 

I hope someone stumbles across a fix soon. Unfortunately, my device is just over a year old so out of warranty. 

It is such a shame to have done so much research about which laptop to buy, decided on DELL and then have such a bad experience across the board - from delivery to repetitive technical issues to their appalling support. 

1 Message

February 25th, 2022 10:00

I had the same issue. 

I explored all the available ideas that I read online. The one that worked with me is to switch the laptop off, remove the battery, press the power button for 30 seconds, and switch it on again.

This fixed my issue.

No Events found!