Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

4 Posts

March 28th, 2022 19:00

Dell XPS 13 9310 BAD BATTERY LIFE and heat and fan noise

The battery life on my dell XPS 13 9310 that I bought in November 2021 is not good! I discharge around 5-7% per hour in sleep mode, lid closed with nothing open. On top of that I have never achieved over 6 hours of battery. I ran a test with the screen on at 50 percent brightness and nothing open and it died in 6 hours! The battery discharges at 20% per hour typically with web usage. This is with a constant under 10% CPU usage in task manager. In addition it gets hot all the time and the fans are hardly ever off. Browsing turns them on with 6% CPU usage. It is impossible to watch YouTube without the fans turning on. I have an i5 1135G7 processor, 16 gigabytes of ram, 1920x1080 screen (16:10 aspect ratio) and Intel Evo graphics. I constantly have to think about battery when using this machine and it is unfortunate because nearly everything else besides the heat, fan noise and battery are amazing. The keyboard, screen trackpad, general performance, charging speed, connectivity, and compatibility are all great. However, this laptop has failed the most important requirement for a laptop and especially an ultra-book which is battery life. There is no point in owning such a bad performer when you could buy a tablet or laptop half the price that has better battery. The battery life has dropped from 77 to 72 while writing this review which has only taken 10 minutes. I want to return this but it is hard to because I dealt with customer service for over two months to get the laptop in the first place. I paid $1284 and I got this on a deal and I regret this decision. I've tried changing so much and I feel lied to as all the reviews and statistics point to the fact that 8 to 9 hours is easily achievable. I'm frustrated and I would like answers to how these problems persist with this machine 2 years after the release date. I understand that this issue is widespread and further research points to the modern standby mode but the discharge issue in sleep mode did fix after a dell support assist driver/bios update once. However, it came back after only 1 day. I really hope that one day I can wake up and not worry about the battery draining so fast and having to remember to shut it down after every use to avoid massive battery drain doesn't help either. 

• 

25K Posts

March 29th, 2022 14:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

• 

25K Posts

March 29th, 2022 20:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

• 

16.6K Posts

April 4th, 2022 05:00

Twiggy145,

We see that you have requested for a phone call and a remote session from the phone support team. Please drop us a message if you they do not reach out to you. We can work on a remote session as well. 

No Events found!