Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 13 9350 Battery Replacement Issue

I'm hoping someone can help me fix this issue:

- My XPS 13 9350 original battery started to show increasing and noticeable "wear" in HW monitoring software...and was losing capacity.  I decided to replace it with a new battery.

- First, I ordered an aftermarket battery off of Amazon and carefully installed it.  It "worked" but I was frequently getting a battery error (flashing orange and white lights).  

- I removed it and replaced with a genuine Dell battery.  It is still having the same error.

When on battery power alone both batteries seemed to work fine.  They were also detected as in excellent health in the BIOS.  However, when I plug the AC adapter in:

1) when it gets to 100% charged and I'm using the laptop I get the error and then the battery falsely shows 0%.  The only way to get it to show proper charge is to completely shut the laptop down and restart.  

2) Likewise, when I use it "plugged in" and then let it go to sleep, the same thing happens on wake.  The solution is the same.

Even more annoying is that when the error occurs and the battery resets to 0%, naturally Windows 10 sees this as battery is critically low and shuts down.  I have had to work around this by telling Windows not to shut down when plugged in and battery is critical.

The issue definitely isn't the battery(ies).  Is there a way to get the laptop to work properly whether on battery power or when plugged in and reset it so that it is correctly charging and recognizing battery charge?  I have read that I'm not the only one that has gone through this.  It doesn't seem to be a "hardware fault" as the original battery never had the problem.  If it matters, I also tried the trick of holding the power button down for 30 seconds prior to new battery install to make sure there was not residual power.  Any help or troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.  This is annoying.

0 Kudos