Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2018 03:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 LED blinking 1 white, 2 amber.

My Dell XPS 13 laptop will not turn on. Earlier today, I turned it on just to check the battery percentage ( it was 48% ) then immediately shutting it down again. Couple of hours later, I decided to turn it on. I waited around 3 minutes on the black screen, and I noticed the LED indicators blinking 2x Amber and 1x White. I tried charging it, it turned steady white for a few seconds then back repeatedly blinking. Most people on the internet said that we should plug out the charger and hold the power button for 15 secs and plug it back in. No, it doesnt work. I've had this laptop for roughly a year now, unfortunately my warranty is over.

2 questions
1. What caused this LED blinking error?
2. How to fix it? If it means that i should get a new motherboard or other components, is it still worth repairing?

Didn't expect this from such a high-end device. =(

• 

16.7K Posts

March 19th, 2019 04:00

deepthakkar,

The 1 white and 2 amber diagnostic code represents a CPU failure.

LED blink takes 0.5 seconds.

The system will not shutdown when displaying the Diagnostic Error Codes.

Diagnostic Error Codes will always supersede any other use of the LED. For instance, on Notebooks, battery codes for Low Battery or Battery Failure situations will not be displayed when Diagnostic Error Codes are being displayed.

Blinking Pattern

Possible Problem Problem Description
Amber White
CPU CPU failure
BIOS ROM failure System board failure (included BIOS corruption or ROM error)
Memory No memory/ RAM detected
Memory Memory/ RAM failure
Memory Invalid memory installed
Chipset System board/ Chipset error
LCD LCD failure
RTC power failure CMOS battery failure
PCI/ Video PCI or Video card/ chip failure
BIOS recovery 1 Recovery image not found
BIOS recovery 2 Recovery image found but invalid

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 27th, 2018 04:00

Two orange/one white is a CPU failure.

Unfortunately, the cost to replace a board isn't trivial (the mainboard needs to be replaced).  For an i3 system with Intel video, figure $300-350;  it'll easily be $500-600+ for an i7 with discrete video.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2018 05:00

What caused this problem in the first place? It was working fine earlier. Thanks for the information btw.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 27th, 2018 05:00

There's no way to know.  Could be a bad CPU (which is rare) or a bad system board (which is much less rare).

If you haven't tried a system reset (unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery, then hold the power button for 30 seconds and try restarting), it's worth trying that before proceeding with an expensive repair.

1 Message

March 19th, 2019 02:00

Hi, I am facing the same issue. Could you please guide me with what did you do to solve the problem. Thank you.

1 Message

November 16th, 2019 16:00

Tae

No Events found!