Highlighted
joesken
Bronze

Dell XPS 13 (9360) Developer Edition Won't Boot - Shim was unable to measure state into the TPM

Hi,

A big problem has just turned up on my development laptop and I can't see anything related throughout the forums.

I turn on the power and after the Dell logo appears for a few seconds up in the top left appears the message:

"Something has gone seriously wrong: Invalid Parmeter
Shim was unable to measure state into the TPM"

It is a Dell Developer Edition XPS 13 9360 - Ubuntu 16.04.

Standard updates would have been applied to it prior to shutdown via the control panel.

I can find little or nothing online about this issue except for one link to a RedHat bug report - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1477735

Any help appreciated, I'm not even sure where to start with this one. If I can give any more information that might be useful let me know as I can enter the Bios (F2) and the Diagnostics (F12).

Thanks

Joseph

12 Replies
PavlosPav
Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 (9360) Developer Edition Won't Boot - Shim was unable to measure state into the TPM

I'm having the same issue since updating yesterday, same laptop and OS
0 Kudos
gertjanb
Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 (9360) Developer Edition Won't Boot - Shim was unable to measure state into the TPM

I'm having the exact same issue since this morning. Same laptop, on Ubuntu 17.10.
0 Kudos
paperinik
Bronze

having exactly the same problem since upgrading right now

0 Kudos

Hi,

I've found that marking TPM On box in BIOS solves the issue. Seems that the upgrade disables it, but configuration values aren't modified.

Hope it helps.

joesken
Bronze

Fantastic thanks @SergioFernandez that worked for me. Phew.

0 Kudos
SR Foxley
Copper

I ran into the same problem myself today. I hadn't updated the system BIOS since I bought the machine (version 1.0.7), and found that updating the BIOS to the latest available version (2.4.2) solved the issue. I guess the latest Ubuntu grub bootloader uses UEFI options the older BIOS doesn't understand.

Flashing the BIOS if you only have Ubuntu on the box is a little annoying, since Dell distributes the update as a DOS executable. So to do this:

1. Download a bootable FreeDOS USB image (google should find one for you).

2. Using either the Ubuntu install USB stick in 'try it out' mode, or another computer, use 'dd' to copy the FreeDOS image onto another USB stick.

3. Mount the FreeDOS USB stick and copy the Dell BIOS update to it.

4. Unmount the FreeDOS USB stick and then reboot the system booting off the FreeDOS USB stick in legacy mode (F12 when you first power on the system).

5. Run the BIOS update.

joesken
Bronze

Thanks for the info @SR Foxley. That makes sense as my BIOS version is also 1.0.7.

I was under the impression that the system would update you via the OS of BIOS updates (and that is what it seems to say here https://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iedhs1/sln171755/updating-the-dell-bios-in-linux-and-ubun...) however I don't receive those notifications. Maybe Dell could confirm on this point?

Also just for anyone else following on from @SR Foxley's instructions for newer models (post 2015) there are easier instructions for updating the BIOS at this link also https://www.dell.com/support/article/ie/en/iedhs1/sln171755/updating-the-dell-bios-in-linux-and-ubun...

Joseph

0 Kudos
SR Foxley
Copper

Yeah, I didn't get any notifications from my OS that BIOS updates were available. Perhaps there's a package I'm missing on my Ubuntu 16.04 install.

Also, I didn't know the BIOS would recognize the .EXE file and process it natively. That vastly simplifies the BIOS update process, as you just need a FAT32-formatted USB stick (and to copy the BIOS update executable to it) to do the update, rather than futzing with the FreeDOS image. Simple!

0 Kudos
Ace201
Copper

Awesome, thanks @SergioFernandez

0 Kudos