Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 13 9360 and TB16 Dock Multiple External Display Issues

I have a dell xps 13 9360 and a dell TB16 thunderbolt dock and up until about 3 weeks ago (probably coinciding with dell updates) I could happily have 2 external displays coming from the dock everything worked fine, but now only 1 external display works.

strange thing is other people in my company have the same laptop and when they plug into my dock both external screens work fine.

Just to throw a curve ball in there when I plug my laptop into some of our other docks (WD15) both external screens which were attached to it work.

Are there any known thunderbolt controller/driver issues with the XPS 9360 which are due to be corrected in a future update?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell XPS 13 9360 and TB16 Dock Multiple External Display Issues

Hi Shakeuk, 

It sounds like the video driver or the thunderbolt driver have become corrupted during the update. Looking at the list of available drivers, there is a Thunderbolt Firmware and driver update released within the last month.

I would recommend running Command | Update to ensure that all drivers are updated to the latest revision

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi @Dell-Alan D,

I already use Dell Command Update to update my laptop with dell updates.

I checked and made sure my BIOS, thunderbolt controller driver is up to date and it was so I tried installing the previous version and it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

As per page 18 of the TB16 user guide - can you see and configure both monitors connected to the docking station? 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I only ever see 1 external and the built in display, however I used to see both external displays and the built in display.

image.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the image, as you say you are only getting the internal display and one external. That would suggest it's a basic configuration error. What happens if you click on detect - does it recognise the third monitor?

The user guide recommends using the Intel graphics HD control panel for monitor configuration, but does the Windows control panel see all monitors or only two? 

If you right click on the desktop and click on Display settings and then click on Detect, are all three displays now detected?

If they are identified by Windows correctly and you apply the settings here, can they then be identified correctly in the Intel control panel and then configured correctly for the TB16 dock?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

If I press detect I get this message but still only the internal and 1 external show up.image.png

If I then view the windows display settings I get this... which is the internal display and the 1 external display.

image.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

On the monitor detection screen, what happens if you disconnect the monitor cable from the dock end and the monitor end and then reconnect? Is the third monitor now recognised? 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

hi @Dell-Alan D

I have tried this but it doesn't fix the problem, also as I mentioned in my original post, other users with the same laptop and my TB16 have no issues, and I have no issues using a WD15 (usb 3 dock).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If other systems use the same config without issues and your hardware works with the WD15  it at least confirms that the hardware is working fine. That would suggest it's a config error with the Intel graphics software.

I would recommend disconnecting the TB16 from the system and both monitors from the TB16 and then uninstall the graphics driver manually from the device manager and then reinstall it from the following link

Once the system has restarted and successfully booted check to see if the graphics driver has successfully installed. Once done, connect up the TB16 and then connect each monitor and see if they are detected in the Intel graphics manager.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have tried what you suggested to the letter and this has not resolved my issue.

one thing to note is that if I pull out the cable for the monitor that is detected then the second monitor springs to life, if I then reattach the first monitor it doesn't come back on, if I then remove the second monitor the first monitor comes back to life.

Is there any manual config file I can edit to explicitly let it know I have multiple monitors?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, 

I am not aware of any manual config file that you could edit to resolve the issue. The only suggestions I can think of are to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the TB16 drivers in order as per this article. If that fails to resolve the issue, you could try a Windows refresh to see if that resolves any config issue whilst retaining your files.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I finally got around to doing a full system restore from the dell restore image, I did all the windows and dell updates without any dock plugged in.

I then plugged the dock in just to be disappointed as I have the exact same issue, I think it could be a hardware issue with my laptop.

Unless you can think of any other ideas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, 

That's strange for the same issue to happen after reinstalling the operating system. As you mentioned before your system works fine on another dock, that would suggest there is no hardware fault. 

Did you follow the step by step instructions for installing the TB16 as per the article I provided.

Have you tried different monitors and cables to see if they are detected by the TB16?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

I did follow the TB16 instructions in the article you sent yes.

I did some more testing on friday and if I have 1 display powered by display port and another via HDMI then both displays work, so it appears for my laptop at least that I can only have 1 display powered by display port at one time (even though it works with two displays powered by display port on an identical laptop which isn't mine).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm confused now by your statement, you said that it doesn't work, but after testing it does actually work. Can you provide a clearer explanation of what you are trying to connect i.e monitor to connection type with the configuration that does work and what configuration you try that doesn't work.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My original problem set up was as followes:

Dell XPS 13

+

TB16 

• DisplayPort(full) -> External Monitor
  • DisplayPort(mini) -> External Monitor

Only 1 external monitor would work with this set up, if I unplugged the working monitor the non working monitor would work and vice versa.

the set up which seems to work for me now is as follows...

Dell XPS 13

+

TB16 

• DisplayPort(mini) -> External Monitor
  • HDMI -> External Monitor

Does that make more sense?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks , I now understand your setup. It's strange though that other systems work fine on that dock.

Does the issue appear to be connected to the DisplayPort on the dock?
What happens if you connect just one monitor to the dock over the DisplayPort, is it detected and recognised?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi,

Yes if I only plug one display port into the dock, it works, I agree its strange that it works with other laptops on the same dock but not for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Now I have a better understanding of what's happening, can you clarify a few more details just to cover what has been tested.

As I understand it, on it's own with one monitor connected through DisplayPort, the dock outputs video.

If you have another video source connected along with the DisplayPort - which device is then not detected, the DisplayPort or the other device?

Any other system connected to your TB16 with a monitor connected to the DisplayPort and any other connection, both monitors are detected and display correct - is that correct?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell XPS 13 9360 and TB16 Dock Multiple External Display

Can you recommend a USB-C dock that is compatible with the Dell XPS 13 9360 and provides VGA, Ethernet and HDMI capabilities? I spent nearly three hours on the phone yesterday with a Dell technician who made major changes to my computer, trying to make it work with a Kensington SD1500 dock. Since yesterday I've read all over the internet and discovered that everyone seems to be aware of Dell's compatibility issues except some of Dell's tech support people. None of Dell's own docks appear to be compatible with the XPS 13 9360. I would be happy to hear about compatible docks whether they're from Dell or from other manufacturers.

0 Kudos