Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2018 12:00

XPS 13 9370, Dell Cinema HDR support

Hey everyone,

I have bought the Dell XPS 13 9370 and am about a week away from Dell shipping it to me. Super excited about the full 4K display and the Dell Cinema display features but i was wondering if anyone knows if Dell Cinema allows you to get HDR content particularly via Netflix? I have a premium 4K Netflix account and i have seen conflicting reports that HDR is supported thanks to Dell Cinema display enhancements but i cant find anything on the Dell product page that confirms this. There was a video from Dell on their YouTube channel though that stated that HDR is supported.

Does anyone own the XPS 9370 and can confirm HDR content is available via Netflix or even HDR videos via YouTube?

Hope someone can help me as it is a feature im really excited about and it would be a shame if this was not the case!

Thanks

9.4K Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

Hi bighops15,

Here is an article you may find helpful. Read through our FAQ Dell Cinema.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 29th, 2018 07:00

This link has Netflix's HDR FAQ.  Note that HDR is only delivered to PCs via Microsoft Edge and the Windows 10 app, and THEN you need to meet the requirements that they specify.  As for this "Cinema HDR", I'm curious what that means too.  Dell's first "HDR" display supported what they called "Dell HDR" and they specifically noted that it did not conform to HDR10 or any other HDR standard accepted by the industry -- and as you might expect, reviews found that it was fake HDR, and a pretty bad fake at that.  Dell has since released proper HDR displays, but it's not yet clear whether the XPS 13's built-in panel is one of them.

Also note that HDR is still a problem with Windows 10 in general.  It has to be manually enabled before you want to view HDR content because whenever you enable it, non-HDR content starts looking very dark, so it's not something you can just enable and forget about.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2018 06:00

Thank you for the reply that is really helpful! yes i expect it will be a display setting i have to enable in windows 10 only when i want to watch HDR content but i can live with that even if it is a bit of work each time! My 9370 should arrive next week so hopefully i can confirm then. Its just interesting that in all their promotional videos for Dell Cinema they keep showing an XPS 13 running Netflix and talking about bringing HDR content to laptops. It would be disappointing if this was misleading and the XPS 13 doesn't support it. Either way i'm sure the 4K display with Dell Cinema enhancements will make all video content look amazing either way! Thanks again

489 Posts

January 31st, 2018 07:00

Recently, HDR playback was announced in Chrome 63/64. I tried the demo at 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO01J-M3g0U

but i didn't get the HDR quality options with the 9550 UHD, and Windows 10 (Creators Fall) doesn't show the HDR setting in Settings/System/Display (which I guess is the prerequisite?).

I'm aware the UHD panel is not exactly HDR by some interpretations but I know that streaming made for sRGB devices isn't best one can get for playback on the UHD. So I'd be interested in clear requirements for HDR playback from Dell and MS, because they tend to vary between sources (for instance, NVidia claims GTX 9xx/10xx compatible, despite 8-bit output in OpenGL; Netflix says GTX 10xx only). So that I can find out if I just have to configure something, or a different display is required, or the 9550 isn't compatible at all. 

4 Posts

February 6th, 2018 03:00

Hi everyone. Just received my XPS 13 9370 today and what a beautiful machine :) Just to update that after doing the latest windows updates i signed in to the Netflix app and got the HDR symbol on relevant videos! See image link below:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aun3dnE4DbN_6UtqSM8GqqGIBqRQ 

Watched a couple videos and the colours and blacks definitely look better. Also this worked by default in the app i didn't have to change any display settings at all.

So happy this is supported!

4 Posts

February 13th, 2018 09:00

Sorry everyone. just to update slightly on how HDR works in Netflix. When plugged in with the mains charger you get the HDR option in Netflix videos. It automatically gives you the HDR stream and by default puts the brightness up to 100%. As soon as you plug the charger out and refresh the same video it changes to 'Ultra HD 4K'. so it looks like you need to be plugged in for the software to give you the HDR option in Netflix at least. not sure if this can be fixed in a future update as it would be nice to get HDR when running on battery power but at least it works!

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 04:00

can you upload a screenshot to imgur? That link you posted doesn't work. I have the same laptop with 4k display but I can't get 4k netflix to work or hdr.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 06:00

Did you read the earlier posts in this thread including the link I posted earlier and the note that you have to use Edge or the Netflix app?  If not, I'd recommend doing so.  If you already did, then apologies, but you didn't give any details as to how you were trying to watch Netflix, what you'd already tried, etc.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2018 08:00

yup I checked everything.

- dell xps 13 9370 4k i7 8th gen 16 gig

-windows 10 fully updated with the hevc extension installed. meets all the requirements for netflix in 4k and hdr.

-Using netflix with the windows app but also tried using edge. 4k or 4k+HDR doesn't work on either.

-All my netflix settings are correct and are double checked with Netflix. No problems there.

-My internet connection is checked by my ISP and no problems there. 190mbps stable.

-In windows settings>apps>video playback HDR is enabled.

So what's going on?

1 Message

April 19th, 2018 00:00

In windows settings>apps. Scroll down and uncheck "Don't play HDR video on built-in display when on battery."

No Events found!