Highlighted
herbacin
Bronze

Dell XPS 13 9370 overheating?

Got my new XPS 13 9370. Since day 1 I started to notice a sign of overheating. It doesn't happen very often but it is a concern for me. Today, it happened again after I set the power mode onto Best Performance. The laptop is plugged in and the keyboard started to heat up with fan running trying to cool down. I think the ventilation is somewhere on the bottom in the back which makes so sense, since the laptop has always been placed on a desk top which makes the heat has nowhere to escape. It was running like that for 10 mins with the heat started to build up. I had to turn the laptop off and restart, and switched the power mode onto Battery Saver.

Has anyone noticed this issue?

8 Replies

Re: Dell XPS 13 9370 overheating?

In high performance mode, your system will surely heat up.
Use system on flat surface.
Check CPU/GPU Temp in bios and update me.
You can also update system bios
0 Kudos
perpetoom
Silver

Run some stress tests and take a look at temperature charts to verify your unit behavior ie. using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. It will produce "visible" results that you can later use in contact with support.

Section responsible for charging and transmitting power while on AC is poorly designed in 9370 and it might get quite hot wile in use (and cause fans to spin lie crazy)

0 Kudos

Here's what worked for me with mh Dell XPS 13 9360.  Charger got VERY hot when used.  Dell sent replacement, which still gets quite warm (especially when battery is  low), but not as hot.  Didn't solve my problem of the core temps getting high whenever battery was being charged.  After some fiddling with settings, finally came up with solution (for my situation). 

(1)  Settings---Dell Power Manager---Thermal Management--"Cool" (versus the default "Optimized" setting). 

(2)  Control Panel---Hardware and Sound---Power Options---"Balanced". 

0 Kudos
Julie S.
Copper

Good tip. However, for me, "Cool" didn't work for the fan noise, (seems logical: to keep the laptop cooler the fan has to work harder ) while "Quiet" did the trick. (but will probably lead to more overheating Smiley Sad

What may help is to put the screen end on a book or something, so the vent openings under the pc can get more air (?).

0 Kudos
majboi
Copper

I repasted my xps 9370 with new thermal paste. When doing a stress test, it used to get to 100C, but now it is 75C. Definitely change out the thermal paste if you have the confidence to open up your laptop. Also you can try undervolting, that might bring it down a few degrees.

0 Kudos
votehart407
Copper

What thermal paste did you use? 

0 Kudos
stozk
Silver

Essentially any of the well known brands will work wonders compared to the stock one if properly/nicely applied. I have used Cooler Master MasterGel Maker and undervolting, resulting in 43-45°C in silent profile and battery mode (no fans spinning at all), 55°C while connected to the power adapter (very low fan activity). In performance mode it'll level around 78°C with no thermal throttling and the fans going full blast.

Most people I've read have been using the Thermal Grizzly liquid metal one, which will give even better (marginally) results, but I'm sceptical towards liquid metal thermal pastes due to their nature and effects.

0 Kudos

Just got mine out of the box and set up my Outlook 365 account and it's a "Toaster". Concerned so I put a heat (from outdoor grillin) laser on the back left corner that was burning my knee. 145 degrees!! Are you kidding me. This one is going back to Costco. Oh yea. It's brand new, yet had early 2017 Windows System updates. Sad.

0 Kudos