Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:03

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 18th, 2018 12:00

I don't see even a manual updater for Linux on the support.dell.com page.  That's disappointing considering that Dell even sells this system with Ubuntu pre-installed, so you would expect they would fully support it, although I suppose this could be due to a lack of support from Intel who provides the firmware and possibly the updater?

Unfortunately, the only workaround I can think of here would be hugely inconvenient: capture an image of your entire system, then either wipe the hard drive and temporarily install Windows 10 (you can download it from Microsoft and make a bootable flash drive to install it) or you can try setting up a dual boot configuration, although I would still capture a system image before you did that.  Either way, once you're in Windows, I think you just need to install the Intel chipset driver and the Thunderbolt driver in order to be able to run the Thunderbolt firmware update; you can probably ignore everything else.  If you decided to do a dual boot configuration, it probably won't stay usable for very long if you don't have a license to activate Windows, but it will work at least long enough to do this.

Unfortunately, Windows has no equivalent to "Linux Live" bootable media, and Windows doesn't support being installed to USB hard drives, so there isn't really an easier way to do this unless you maybe have another physical M.2 SSD you can temporarily install in your system so you can install Windows on that rather than having to wipe/modify your Linux installation.

January 27th, 2018 12:00

Please, please, please :-)
Any help ?

Thank you!

No Events found!