XPS

2 Bronze

Dell XPS 15 1970 crashes in game (GPU 86 degree celsius)

My new notebook Dell XPS 15 1970 crashes in games like fortnite or Pubg that use the GeForce GTX 1050 ti. The error occurs 2/3min after playing the game and the laptop heats up. The first time a bluescreen of death with the following error message was shown:

error code: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
caused by: nvlddmkm.sys

Now every time the computer just freezes with no response and i have to shutdown by pressing the power button. I cannot reproduce the error with a stress test from dell or from FurMark(http://www.geeks3d.com/20180123/furmark-1-20-0-gpu-stress-test-download/)

Entries in relability history (english description: windows is not functioning caused by a hardware problem)

Description
Aufgrund eines Hardwareproblems ist Windows nicht mehr voll funktionsfähig.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffa50842335010
Parameter 2:    fffff8082df5fddc
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    1864
Betriebssystemversion:    10_0_17134
Service Pack:    0_0
Produkt:    768_1
Betriebsystemversion:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.768.101
Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

I logged the GPU temperature and it is around 86 degrees celsius before crashing.

 

I have installed all windwos updates and Gefroce updates. Problem still exists

I have reinstalled the Geforce driver. Problem still exists

I have completley removed and installed the Gefroce driver. Problem still exists

I have facory reseted the laptop with dell-factory reste function + updates. Problem still exists

Labels (4)
Replies (11)
2 Bronze

I have the same crashing issue! I’m assuming they are just drivers that need to be fixed and such, while I don’t think my gpu is that hot.

There were exactly the same issues regarding an older model. It turned out that you had to underlock your GeForce card: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-xps-15-l502x-crashes-freezes-on-gaming/m-p/37508...

This has been not an appropriate solution for me, but I wanted to test if it would work. My Laptop freezes after installing the nvidia system tools, when it tries to load config settings. http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html



Hi guys, 

Thanks for advising of the issues you are having with the XPS 9570. Can you help me with more information regarding the fault so I can investigate this issue further please - 

a) Has this bluescreen / freezing only occurred when playing games?
b) Are you running on ac power with maximum performance power plan?
c) Do you have any other graphics intensive applications that you can test that are not games to see if the issue still occurs?
d) Can you run the system with the task manager open to see if there is a specific task or application that is maxing out the system performance and note down any anomalies noticed.

Thanks,
Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

3 Zinc

Try running Prime95 together with Furmark to reproduce crash (GPU load without CPU load may not be as excessive). 

Monitor temperatures, clocks and throttling flags using HWinfo64. Several users reported freezing or crashing under load, rather than downthrottling which is the norm ;) It may be that Intel DPTF, which is in charge of some throttling actions, isn't functional. 

You can try to work around overheating instead: reduce game quality settings, disable CPU turbo in BIOS, undervolt (Throttlestop, MSI Afterburner), repaste (Kryonaut), place thermal pads on the VRM mosfets...

3 Zinc

Check the new BIOS 1.1.4.


@samos1111 wrote:

Check the new BIOS 1.1.4.


The new 1.1.4 BIOS doesn't even install on my 9570. I get an error while flashing then I'm forced to recover the BIOS once the laptop restarts. I tried it twice and got the same results. 


@enun_77 wrote:

@samos1111 wrote:

Check the new BIOS 1.1.4.


The new 1.1.4 BIOS doesn't even install on my 9570. I get an error while flashing then I'm forced to recover the BIOS once the laptop restarts. I tried it twice and got the same results. 


Hi @enun_77, I'm sorry to hear of the issues you encountered whilst updating the BIOS. You could try reflashing to the current BIOS 1.0.5 and then try upgrading to 1.1.4 and that may resolve the issue for you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro


@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@enun_77 wrote:

@samos1111 wrote:

Check the new BIOS 1.1.4.


The new 1.1.4 BIOS doesn't even install on my 9570. I get an error while flashing then I'm forced to recover the BIOS once the laptop restarts. I tried it twice and got the same results. 


Hi @enun_77, I'm sorry to hear of the issues you encountered whilst updating the BIOS. You could try reflashing to the current BIOS 1.0.5 and then try upgrading to 1.1.4 and that may resolve the issue for you.

Alan


@Dell-Alan D My 9570 shipped with 1.0.5 already installed. I went ahead and tried to re-flash the same BIOS and it also failed. Not sure what to do at this point. Do I have to send this laptop back to Dell?


@enun_77 wrote:

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@enun_77 wrote:

@samos1111 wrote:

Check the new BIOS 1.1.4.


The new 1.1.4 BIOS doesn't even install on my 9570. I get an error while flashing then I'm forced to recover the BIOS once the laptop restarts. I tried it twice and got the same results. 


Hi @enun_77, I'm sorry to hear of the issues you encountered whilst updating the BIOS. You could try reflashing to the current BIOS 1.0.5 and then try upgrading to 1.1.4 and that may resolve the issue for you.

Alan


@Dell-Alan D My 9570 shipped with 1.0.5 already installed. I went ahead and tried to re-flash the same BIOS and it also failed. Not sure what to do at this point. Do I have to send this laptop back to Dell?


Hi @enun_77 can you note down the error message that appears when you try to flash each BIOS. Is the ac adaptor connected and the battery has more than 30% charge when you try to update the BIOS?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions