Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

12 Posts

November 4th, 2019 12:00

XPS 15 7590, red color temperature, black fading bar on screen

Hey guys,

Got my Dell XPS 15 7590 with 4K IPS screen and it's great but there are 2 things I'm concerned about:

1. The default color temperature of the screen seems too warm (reddish/yellowish) to me. I'm not sure if this is just subjective as I didn't see any posts about this yet, but maybe it's not calibrated correctly. It almost seems like there was a red overlay above the whole screen.

Anyhow, I managed to get the color temperature "under control" playing with intel graphics control and dell premier screen options and it looks pretty good now.

2. The other issue that concerns/annoys me the most, I noticed a black fading bar kind of thing about 2.5cm tall at top of the screen going down until it disappears, not sure if it's normal but I just haven't seen it yet, it's only noticable on light backgrounds but it's always there.

Please check the pictures below:

Color comparison: https://imgur.com/LU020bu

Details (also tried to capture the transparent black bar): https://imgur.com/a/hMOMfN4

I made a picture to better demonstrate the transparent black bar: https://imgur.com/a/ib3ARey

It's more subtle in real life tho but what is the cause of it?

Thank you.

1 Message

December 18th, 2019 02:00

Same, exactly the same problem. +some buttons presses weirdly, and some keyboard LED's are kinda more yellow than others lol. I guess it bugs me too much because im working with graphics alot, but man o man... when u pay 2300 euros for a premium laptop u want to get the absolute best...

1 Message

January 14th, 2020 09:00

Hi !

Same here... just purchased a new XPS 15 7590 and I also have that red tint...
As you can see in the picture ( https://imgur.com/a/pf7fi3K ) it looks weird... next to my 3 years old XPS 15 9550 and a Samsung Screen.
Is there a “simple” way to have a “normal” colour temperature screen?

Thank you in advance

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

January 15th, 2020 00:00

Hi Dav75,

Thank you for posting and for sending the service tag information via private message. We have opened a case and will be responding to you privately.

Geoffrey

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2020 14:00

Hey @Dell-Geoffrey R , quick question, do all of the XPS 7590 4K IPS displays have a band at the top with a dimmer gradient, or is that a known, occasional defect and I just drew the slightly short straw?

12 Posts

Hey @Dav75 , I can see the picture and it looks exactly like my screen used to look. There are a few ways to go about "fixing" this. You can try to pick a different preset from Dell Premier Color. Another way is to go to Intel Command Center (formerly Intel Graphics Control Panel or something) and in color settings there should be a slider going from neutral to vivid colors, right now it should be set to vivid so move it one step left, towards neutral. Another thing to try is to manually set R G B color brightness levels, set red to -2 or -3, set green to -1 and blue to -1 (you will need to play around with these settings to get it right). Another way is to get a calibration file from another Dell XPS 15 7590 (with the same type of screen), but note this might not do anything or make it worse (you can always revert). And one last thing would be to get a color calibrator like colormunki, spyder or one of the others.

I checked the top of your screen and can't see a black gradient band thing that I notice on my screen, do you happen to see it or is your screen find in this regard? Thank you.

12 Posts

Hey @Golmoris do you have the black gradient band at the top of your screen too or just the warm color?

It bugged me as well exactly because I am doing graphic work and I need neutral colors and a white color that is white, not white with what looks like red overlay on top of it, there are ways to get rid of it by decreasing red color brightness but it's not perfect.

I didn't expect all these issues from a 2000+ eur laptop either, just like you said.

January 24th, 2020 06:00

hey richard, this is no good. try to deinstall the dell drivers for the display and let windows choose the monitor as standard pnp. that helped my to get rid of the warm colors and added more brightness to my 4k oled panel which is otherwise just great (maybe you can change it into one).

i cant believe that dell is calibrating those screens so stupidly (and you are not alone).

telemarker

12 Posts

January 25th, 2020 06:00

Hey @real_telemarker, how can i uninstall only the dell display drivers? Sounds like what u did is something I'm after as well.

17 Posts

January 25th, 2020 07:00

Also, did you notice color banding for high contrast area. Watch the same 4k content on ipad or mac or oled vs the IPS 4k display. Color banding is driving me crazy. Check and pause the video at 1:40. See the color banding left side of the screen. Please let me know if you have the same issue as well. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXb3EKWsInQ&t=128s

12 Posts

January 25th, 2020 11:00

@knegi Yes I just did in the video you posted, i don't know what color banding is exactly but i guess this is what you mean, it looks like ocean waves and little islands where a smooth transition between colors should be? It's very ugly, why is this happening? Is it only IPS issue? Can this be fixed?

17 Posts

January 25th, 2020 13:00

this is IPS display issue with XPS. I never saw this before. I have another HP laptops with HD and 4K display and they are fine. I reported this to dell and they said, "they will look into it". You know what it means... we have sold you crappy display, now you live with it and we are going to pretend everything works fine.

I am hoping someone out there have a solution to resolve the issue. Thanks.

January 25th, 2020 19:00

@knegidont know what you mean with color bending - but i have the oled version anyway (made my decision based on this video where you can clearly see that it has a much better grading than the ips panel - also it is advertised as 100% dci p3 but i dont know if thats really true since its not supported by the dell premier color app right now).

@TheRichardyou reach the driver settings hitting win + x, then choose the device manager and double click at monitor. i should say dell something. double click and hit the driver tab. from the 5 buttons click at the middle saying somthing like "previous drivers". that should disable the dell drivers and the monitor appears now as a standard pnp monitor.

12 Posts

January 26th, 2020 03:00

@knegi Every XPS has this issue? If not replacing it could work. I wish I went with OLED now damn it, I had the option but people said they had bad experience with OLED and they returned it for IPS instead and it was fine.

Is it possible to get an OLED replacement screen for the IPS version? Don't care about losing the touchscreen.

12 Posts

January 26th, 2020 03:00

@real_telemarker I think that's exactly what he means, look at this picture: the black on OLED is actually black and smooth color transition, on the IPS it looks like layers of mountains (can't explain it better):image.png

Thanks for the tutorial, I will try to do this

17 Posts

January 26th, 2020 08:00

Dell is selling crappy display despite they have known the issue. I am struggling with them from last 1 month and their support is very lousy and I am not very hopeful. It looks like I have made a biggest mistake by buying dell.

No Events found!