XPS

Last reply by 04-06-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell XPS 15 7590 Overheats to burning level

Hi I got a Dell XPS 15 laptop in early September 2020.  I didn't fully start using it till the end of Sept or so.  Very soon after beginning to use it, it began overheating.  Support helped with shutting off the fan that was overly working and noisy but the overheating continued despite trying what they suggested.  It stopped for awhile and then I had a time when I went to touch the laptop and it was hot enough to burn my finger.  I had to open it quickly to turn it off.  Anything that hot has to be damaging it.  I started turning it off whenever it hears up like that but it is a complete nuisance especially since this has happened from day 1.  I do have premium support however it is difficult for me to call in and spend the time for them to go through more steps.  I've contacted twice and one tome they closed the case because “it was out of respect for my time”.  It really was that I took too long for them which I can't help as I have medical conditions. 

I am hoping someone can let me know the process of what they've done with this issue as I know it seems to be common.  I've consulted IT people I know who have stated this is not good for a brand new laptop and should be replaced. I was bought this computer as a gift to start my business and I am very nervous something could go wrong with it that would affect my business.  

Sorry for the length thanks for any suggestions!

Megan

Replies (11)

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

Will you contact me here or by email regarding the solution?  Just wanted to know where to look.  Thanks.

Megan

We've sent you a private message. Please check and reply for assistance with the reported issue. 

Dell-SimranC
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Go into the Bios using F2 command at start up, when you see Dell logo, and turn off Intel Turbo Boost Technology.
This solves the majority of my heating and cooling issues. Dell sells Laptops over specification, they can’t handle the over boost.
On my old XPS 13 I also had the CPU thermal paste changed. It was found to be very dry and crumbled at the touch. This should be a recall item but it is Dell.

Keep pushing Dell for answers as these solutions helped me, but I can't guarantee it will work for everyone.

Thank you I will give it a try

Has it helped?

Exactly the same for my XPS13, CPU cooling paste issue resulting from overheating. Motherboard replacements done even 4 times. XPS13 has been in repair for months. Now it works (knock on wood). I am also convinced the XPS13 is running 'over specification'. It is a good looking laptop and that is what gets it all the good reviews.

I have a brand new XPS 13 9305, arrived two days ago and overheated yesterday that made the machine inoperable until it had cooled down. I wrote about in this forum.

Now monitoring the i7 CPU temp with a little utility called Core Temp. At least I can see the temp in real time by glancing at the system tray icon.

This laptop is my companion machine, light use, nothing heavy-duty at all. I just don't expect to have this situation happening.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

You are not alone.  I have had thermal problems right out of the box while running Linux which uses a lot less resources, and processor load than Windows.  In my case, the thermal problems caused the partitions on my hard drive to become corrupted.  I have complained to Dell about this and their excuse was that they only support Windows, but I don't use windows so supporting windows is not an issue. 

Another problem was that the hard drive failure didn't send out warning messages like what you typically see during the earlier stages of failure, and this could be an over heated controller as opposed to an over heated drive, but regardless, it crashed my system on multiple installations.to where I no longer trust this laptop for my work.

My thermal problems were reported before my 1 year warranty expired, and Dell refused to fix them alleging that the repair would have had to been completed before the expiration of the warranty as opposed to reporting the trouble before the warranty expired.  I have gone ahead and extended the warranty coverage, and will propose some suggestions to Dell to see about getting the thermal issue fixed, and don't believe that merely increasing fan speed nor changing the fan turn on time alone will fix the problem even though it will likely improve it.  I am going to experiment with shutting off two of the 6 processors to see if that will reduce the heat, but consider the engineering in this laptop to be shoddy, and I wouldn't buy another one. 

It has a decent case, a decent keyboard, an OK screen even though the brightness is from too high  an amount of blue light instead of engineering brightness at the lower color temperatures.  Additionally it runs Linux like a champ, but the hardware is a lot to be desired, and serious thermal problems.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions