Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 24th, 2020 15:00

Dell XPS 15 9500 low playback (output) volume on Zoom/Skype/etc

Whenever I go on a Zoom or Skype call, the volume is extremely low. Even when set to 100%, the person talking is just barely audible. My speakers work completely fine in anything but calling apps such as zoom or skype. I have tried messing with the control panel sound device settings, such as changing the communication tab to not lower volume during a call (to "Do Nothing"). Does not help. 

I found a temporary solution, when I go to task manager and disable the Waves MaxxAudio startup process, and restart my computer, the audio works completely fine. So it seems to be Waves MaxxAudio messing up calling application volume. However, this solution is bad because now I can't plug in headphones into the jack because it doesn't recognize it anymore since the MaxxAudio application doesn't run on startup.

Is there any way I can fix this? I think this problem is connected to MaxxAudio but I can't figure out what setting is causing this. I also can't find the Dell Audio page like my old XPS 15 can access and mess with the maxxaudio settings

December 17th, 2020 12:00

My Dell XPS 7390 just arrived and I have the same volume issue on Zoom calls and Microsoft Teams. Very frustrating for what I paid for this new laptop. Thank you for the posts above. I've followed at number of suggestions an found that changing I found that changing the speaker settings to 16 bit did the trick for now. (right-click on "Speakers" in the sound settings > "Advanced" tab > change setting from 24 to 16 bit). I have also done the following:

- Unchecked "Enable audio enhancements" (same window as "Advanced" tab above)

- MaxxAudioPro - turned of all three main features; playback, voice, and waves nx. It is still installed, however.

- Note that turning off "voice" on MaxxAudio Pro solved my microphone issue. I was being told my voice was trailing off and going quiet on Zoom and Teams. Turning off this feature immediately solved it.

Again, the change to 16 bit was the ultimate changed that fixed the quiet speaker issue. Still not maximum volume, but huge improvement. Maybe 8 bit even louder? Also, I haven't played around with other combinations like rechecking the audio enhancements or turning on MaxxAudioPro speaker settings. Please respond if anyone finds other, better solutions.

1 Message

December 25th, 2020 10:00

Found what is at least a temporary solution with low volume on my XPS13 whilst using zoom. 
Open sound settings (select from double clicking on the speaker icon bottom right).

Select “device properties”. 

Tick the “disable” box.  Sound disappears, click it again and sound comes back much louder.

5 Posts

January 14th, 2021 16:00

After purchasing +100 Latitude 5410 laptops that all have this issue, we shook the tree via our glinty-toothed salespeople and had a tech/engineer give us a workaround that works better/is more persistent than the ones discussed earlier in these threads:

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand System Devices
  • Find Intel Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller and right-click to go to Update Driver
  • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers"
  • Select the High Definition Audio Controller and press Next to install the driver
  • Once that is installed test the audio output

2 Posts

January 15th, 2021 10:00

Updated the drivers last night and the audio for my ZOOM meeting this morning seemed to be fine. Let's hope the fix sticks!

• 

25K Posts

August 25th, 2020 04:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

6 Posts

August 25th, 2020 19:00

I am experiencing the exact same issue with a new Dell Vostro 7500 using Zoom.

In my testing, if I have sound from a video running (YouTube, etc.), then connect to a Zoom call, all sound volume (including Zoom) drops by 80% or more - even though volume control is set to max. It is impossible to hear Zoom participants.

I opened Dell  and have received little help (reinstall Realtek sound driver, reinstall Windows, check with Zoom, check with Realtek, etc.).

There has got to be an issue with the Realtek audio driver or Waves MaxxAudio. They are doing audio ducking and not following the Communications tab setting in the Sound Control Panel.

I would appreciate some help as well.

19 Posts

August 27th, 2020 10:00

Same exact issue here. It seems opening any calling app tells the laptop to lower the volume of the entire system.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2020 13:00

Thanks to your post - I finally got my Dell support ticket elevated to Advanced Support. Your workaround pinpointed the issue to Realtek or MaxxAudio. They sent me a link to the latest version of the Realtek audio driver (released 8/11/2020) to try and are checking on updates for Waves MaxxAudio. If I get a resolution I will update you so you can push to get the latest updates (outside what Dell publishes on their website). There are shared components between the Vostro and XPS - so the solution should be the same.

19 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 04:00

Thank you, let me know if there is any solution. I'm in contact with dell support also and they keep telling me to do the basic stuff like reinstalling as if I haven't already tried that.

19 Posts

September 7th, 2020 09:00

I've had that setting on forever, and it doesn't help. I'll gamebar but its so inconvenient that I have to open that just for my computer to work. Support is ignoring this issue too Thank you for the help though

2 Posts

September 7th, 2020 09:00

I am having this same problem. I have found that starting Microsoft Game Bar and doing a short screen recording seems to temporarily fix the issue for me. Game Bar can be accessed by pressing [windows key] + G. I should also mention that I have made a few changes to Control Panel sound settings. On the Communications tab, I have selected "Do nothing," and on Speaker properties Advanced tab I have disabled audio enhancements.

6 Posts

September 7th, 2020 12:00

I received an update that Dell Advanced Support has now escalated the issue to Dell Engineering. It seems the Vostro and XPS systems share many components. The fix for this issue will likely come as an update to the Realtek High Definition Audio driver and/or Waves MaxxAudio software.  Disabling the MaxxAudio service at startup has been a good work around for my Vostro 7500.

19 Posts

September 8th, 2020 06:00

Hey, thanks again for the updates. Yeah, disabling the service works but it would be great to be able to plug in headphones when I need them (because disabling the service stops headphones from being plugged in), so it's still inconvenient. 

Let me know if you get any other answers or when the update comes through!

1 Message

September 11th, 2020 07:00

I'd like to add that the exact same problem occurs on the Dell Latitude 7410. Resetting to default values and then unchecking "Enable audio enhacements" helps but has to be done for every zoom session.

19 Posts

September 28th, 2020 12:00

Nope, Dell lied to me and said they'd get back to me and even after following up they ignored me
No Events found!