Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 11:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Battery Replacement Orange Lights Flashing?

I have an old dell xps 15 9550 laptop and had the battery replaced once at a repair shop once and it was a 56wh battery.  Now fast forward a bit, the battery got swollen and I went to repair shop and got it removed from my laptop so I was without battery for a week or so... thus using it plugged it without battery.

The laptop have 2 hard drives.  A 2.5 inch ssd which is the main windows drive and a useless 32gb m.2 ssd that I don't use.  I got a new 1tb samsung ssd NVME and cloned from the old 2.5 inch drive without any issue.  I also upgraded ram from 8gb to 32gb.

I had issues at first installing the battery but eventually it worked for about two weeks until right now.  I just connected my charger to it... and now it keeps flashing orange?  It was white light... then turned into orange light flashing four times.  Then I turned off laptop and charge it again... and it was white light for a bit... then turn orange light.

Right now... its flashing orange light the entire time nonstop without plugged in.

What do i do?  Is this bad battery?  I checked the battery report and it does show like in the report active/suspended etc.  Can someone please give me a quick response to this?  I need to travel soon and i got this new battery not long ago.  Also this battery is dell official... not a third party.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 11:00

What is the flash pattern (2 white, 4 amber, etc.)?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 13:00

Amber is orange color right?

So this is the pattern it seems. Turn on laptop while on battery... if i do nothing as in don't charge it... there seem to be no light blinking at all.  But it would be on battery though.  

The moment i charge my charger to it... you immediately see it white light as it should be... but its only a second then turns off immediately and immediately turns white again... and stays white as its charging... but less than a minute or thirty seconds... it would go one white light, four orange lights... white light, four orange lights, white light, four orange lights, I forgot if it does this pattern one more time or not...

Then finally its flashing orange nonstop right now. Doesn't matter if its plugged in or not.... right now nonstop orange flashing light.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

So you want me to turn off laptop.  

Charge it... then power it on and press F2 once and then see whats on the screen?

What do i look for?  And how do i get out of that screen?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

First check:  make sure the system setup recognizes the AC adapter power rating (F2 at powerup to check).  If it shows unknown, the battery will not charge.

If the adapter checks out OK, disconnect the battery from the system board.  Does the flashing stop?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 14:00

Okay so to confirm.  I do have bitlocker installed and a windows ten password.  So i press this F12 at what part?

Well which is problem that I want that is simplest to fix?  The charging circuit bad is the worst thing right?  But what you are suggesting will find the culprit easily>

I connected my PW7015L which is a powerbank you use when you don't have an outlet to connect to etc...

Right now i connected it to my laptop and its charging white light as normal.... but im going to see how long it stays like this for... if it stays white light at least 10 minutes... i guess the ac charger is the culprit?

But that is not the case as after just a few minutes, it flashes orange... but now turns back white light...

Now its 4 orange lights, 1 white light... repeats itself.... then right now its white light again

- - - Updated - - -

Now for the last 5 minutes or so with the powerbank, it seems to be charging correctly with the white light...

But i dont know how long this will last for...

Should i take out the battery and use my laptop plugged in via charger and see if charger is the culprit?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

I installed dell power manager service.

It shows my battery health at 46 percent which is the current battery % i have now since im on battery power.

It shows

Battery Health:  Excellent

This is right now unplugged at the moment.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Make sure the AC adapter is listed in setup with its rated power capacity - not showing unknown.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

I don't understand exactly what you mean by that...

Can you explain in clearer words... im not that tech savy...

Someone else tells me that because the battery show excellent, then its not the battery.  Is that true?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

Someone else mentioned to me in a forum to install dell power manager service.  Thoughts on that?

The thing is i dont want to do something, then get stuck on the screen not knowing what to do.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Not necessarily.

Under the setup screen(s) locate the entry for the AC adapter.  It should be on the first page or one of the following ones.  There will be a section that shows "AC Adapter connected, 90W" or simliar.  If it shows AC adapter unknown, that's a problem.

If the adapter is detected, but the battery is still showing a flashing error, either the battery is bad, or the charging circuit is.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 16:00

It could be the AC adapter or the DC jack in the system, but it's likely one of those (and not the charge circuit).

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 16:00

But are you saying it cannot be the battery then based on the info i gave you?

The dell power manager says the battery health is excellent... so is that good enough?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 17:00

The fact that the problem is intermittent makes me think the adapter or jack is more likely -- it's losing contact periodically.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 24th, 2020 21:00

Earlier I got this message

a non dell battery has been detected. Using an incompatible battery or a third party battery may increase the risk of fire or explosion. Only authentic dell batteries should be used in dell systems

It then keeps flashing orange over and over.  I took out the screws and back of laptop, then took battery out and put it back in... then it detected no battery.  I then decided to take out the battery and try to plug the ac charger in to see if it had any issues on charger and no battery... tested it for few minutes and seems to operate on ac charger.

Then I also few times got the message your battery no longer operates and needs to be replaced few times.

Right now when charging, its flashing orange... so you want me to do the thing you mentioned with pressing the 

F two at startup?

If i got that message, does it mean my battery went bad?  Again i had it for few weeks only.  Dell power manager shows health as excellent... when it recognizes it... the other time it showed as a nondell battery... this is official dell battery.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 24th, 2020 23:00

I tested taking the battery out, and just trying to use it plugged via ac charger.  I only checked it for a few minutes and it seems to work on ac charger.

So does this mean just from that, its not the ac adapter?  

No Events found!