Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2019 10:00

Dell XPS 15 (9550) Black Screen on Boot

Hello,

I am looking for some help with an XPS 15 (9550) I have, which will not currently boot. I'd really appreciate any tips you guys may have to get my laptop back.

Problem:

After an accidental restart of the laptop during a windows 10 update, the laptop no longer boots to windows. When pressing the power button, the screen remains black (no Dell splash screen or any other sign of life on the screen), but the small LED on the power button itself lights up for approximately 1 minute before shutting off. The fans do not turn on when the laptop is powered on, but when the laptop is forcefully turned off by holding the power button for a few seconds, the fans rev up briefly before it all shuts down. (can't get into BIOS or anything else)

Solutions I've tried:

the CTRL + D LCD test works fine and the screen will cycle through several colors before the laptop shuts down.

Resetting the memory did not fix the problem (attempting to boot with no memory does provoke the amber/white LED error code)

I removed the SSD and booted it on another computer without issue

I tried to initiate the Dell BIOS recovery (https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en) with a USB stick and the USB lights up as if it is being read, but nothing appears on screen.

Connecting an external screen while booting, nothing appears there either.

August 22nd, 2019 04:00

I ended up replacing the motherboard in the laptop which solved the problem. I sent the machine to Dell and it was a relatively cheap replacement, since I had one of the less expensive models.

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 13:00

Got the EXACT same problem and would like to avoid to send the laptop in. I need urgently a solution! 

9.4K Posts

February 1st, 2019 05:00

Hi Fade ToGray89,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  

Have you tried running a system diagnostics yet?  Please press F12 at startup or run Dell SupportAssist.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

Computer will not boot to Windows 10

Fix Boot in Windows 10

How to Fix a Computer that Won't Boot Up

If you are still having difficulties and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -

February 1st, 2019 06:00

Hello Robert,

Unfortunately, nothing appears on the monitor, so it is difficult to tell if the F12 key input even registers. Holding or pressing F12 during boot does not produce a response.

There is no POST or Dell splash screen during boot, so troubleshooting is difficult.

Any other steps we should try?

9.4K Posts

February 1st, 2019 07:00

Have you tried an external monitor?  To check to see if the LCD has gone bad?

February 1st, 2019 08:00

Yes, I've tried to connect an external monitor and I've completed the LCD BIST, which performs correctly ( I see multiple colors cycle through on the LCD). Still nothing when I try to boot though.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 1st, 2019 11:00

There seems to be no issue with the LCD. This could be an issue with the motherboard.

Disconnect the power cord, press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds to release the static. Connect the power cord & start the computer, toggle the caps lock key & check if there is any light to see if the computer is posting.

The motherboard can detect that there is no memory when you remove the memory.

The remote troubleshooting options will be limited & if the system is under warranty you can send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address to me or Robert, we will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

August 22nd, 2019 00:00

I have the same symptoms described in this thread but problem began just after I changed the boot mode to Legacy trying to get the unit to boot from a flash drive to do a backup. When I tried to boot the next time I got blank screen with no fan or Dell splash screen. If I could get into Bios I could undo my boot mode and this might all go away. But F2 or F12 tapping do nothing.I tried the bios recovery method 2 described here: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet?lang=en but it did not work. I even took unit apart and unhook CMOS coin battery with hope that would reset the Bios to defaults and perhaps allow the unit to start. No luck. Right now out of ideas and worried I may have bricked the unit and will have to sell it for parts. I just bought it used and really loved it. Any new ideas would be welcomed.

No Events found!